St James Nursing Center is a large facility in Detroit, Michigan. With a really poor overall grade of F, this nursing home isn't high on our list. If you aren't happy with this facility's overall grade, you should be able to find a better option in Detroit. The city has at least 10 other nursing homes. We wouldn't blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this place's category grades, nursing grades are discussed in the next section.
St James Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Note: St James Nursing Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
While we gave this nursing home a terrible overall grade, we awarded it a B- for our nursing rating. Our nursing score looks at the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. We consider both the levels of licensure of the nurses as well as the quantity of hours spent with residents. This nursing home provided just 0 hours of nursing care per patient each day. This figure is far below the national average. Lastly, despite not having the highest total nursing hours, this place actually performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is typically a reliable indicator that a place has sufficient quality controls in place.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also didn't perform poorly in the area of short-term care. In fact, we gave it a B- in that area, which happens to be among its higher scores. In calculating our short-term care ratings, we look at the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The purpose is to formulate a measure for sizing up the rehabilitation services of different nursing homes. Unfortunately, we found that this nursing home provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other nursing homes. The final measure we assessed in this category is the number of residents who ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about St James Nursing Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Another unfortunate development is the F this facility received in the area of long-term care. In a long-term care setting, the primary objective is to maintain residents' quality of life and keep them safe. In addition to assessing the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. Thankfully, this nursing home administered the vaccine to 98.206276 percent of its residents, which is an above average statistic. Surprisingly, this facility also fared well at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. Sadly, some of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
Moving on our final category of inspections, this nursing home received an abysmal grade. For places with poor inspection scores, you should really scrutinize any severe deficiencies found on their recent inspection reports. This facility had 7 deficiencies by government inspectors. The only positive thing we found is that none of the deficiencies were in the categories that indicate they posed a risk to resident safety or health. Lastly, this facility was flagged by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We prefer to avoid facilities with this designation. Please do your best to find an alternative nursing home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
St James Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In St James Nursing Center, 8.78% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure is is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are an measure of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In St James Nursing Center, 2.9% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls leading to severe injury are often the result of poor nursing care. Closer supervision limits the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In St James Nursing Center, 2.36% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care. However, this metric may be skewed for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In St James Nursing Center, 13.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents which were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior in scenarios where such medications aren't medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes need to rely more on these medications due to an increased number of patients with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In St James Nursing Center, 18.81% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In St James Nursing Center, 3.44% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents demonstrating symptoms of depression. Increased rates of depression could indicate a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In St James Nursing Center, 91.43% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In St James Nursing Center, 12.1% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may indicate erosion of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In St James Nursing Center, 17.7% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term care residents that were able to retain mobility. Some believe that mobility is important for patients mental and physical health.
In St James Nursing Center, 1.47 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In St James Nursing Center, 17.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In St James Nursing Center, 10.81 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In St James Nursing Center, 77.3% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Detroit, MI
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Detroit, Michigan has 22 other nursing homes
- Ascension St John HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.36 miles away22101 Moross Rd Grosse Pointe Michigan 48236Voluntary non-profit - Church(313) 343-4000
- Ascension Macomb Oakland Hosp-Warren CampusAcute Care Hospitals 4.63 miles away11800 East Twelve Mile Road Warren Michigan 48093Voluntary non-profit - Private(586) 573-5000
- Beaumont Hospital, Grosse PointeAcute Care Hospitals 5.05 miles away468 Cadieux Rd Grosse Pointe Michigan 48230Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 343-1000
- Children's Hospital of MichiganChildrens 7.7 miles away3901 Beaubien Street Detroit Michigan 48201Proprietary(313) 745-5437
- Harper University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.84 miles away3990 John R Street Detroit Michigan 48201Proprietary(313) 745-6211
- Henry Ford HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.94 miles away2799 W Grand Blvd Detroit Michigan 48202Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 916-2600
- Mclaren MacombAcute Care Hospitals 10.6 miles away1000 Harrington St Mount Clemens Michigan 48043Voluntary non-profit - Private(586) 493-8000
- Sinai-Grace HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.81 miles away6071 W Outer Drive Detroit Michigan 48235Proprietary(313) 966-3300
- Greenfield Hs - Eastpointe2 miles away21400 Kelly Rd Eastpointe Michigan 48021CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (586) 779-8779
- Harper Woods Dialysis of Davita2.23 miles away19265 Vernier Rd Harper Woods Michigan 48225CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (313) 640-0271
- Davita - Cadieux2.73 miles away6150 Cadieux Rd Detroit Michigan 48224Dialysis Stations: 26 (313) 640-9295
- Davita Roseville Commons Dialysis3.11 miles away18001 E 10 Mile Rd Ste B Roseville Michigan 48066Dialysis Stations: 24 (586) 771-2286
- Nephrology Center of Eastpointe LLC3.31 miles away24931 Kelly Rd Eastpointe Michigan 48021Dialysis Stations: 24 (586) 771-0675
- Fmc Dialysis - East Detroit3.42 miles away22151 Moross Rd pb1, Suite G-05 Grosse Pointe Michigan 48236Dialysis Stations: 16 (313) 640-4972
- Grosse Pointe Dialysis of Davita3.59 miles away18000 E Warren Ave Detroit Michigan 48224CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (313) 343-5371
- Macomb Kidney Center of Davita4.07 miles away28295 Schoenherr Rd Suite A Warren Michigan 48088CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (586) 558-8160