With an address in Saginaw, Michigan, St Francis Home is one of seven available nursing homes there. Sporting an overall score of B+, this nursing home should work for most prospective residents. This will likely be on your short list in Saginaw as we ranked it as one of the top three facilities in the city. The best part of this facility's impressive profile is its short-term care score. short-term care grades are discussed in the next section
St Francis Home
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
915 N River Rd,
Saginaw MI 48609
80.85% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
One reason this place fared so well overall is that it excelled in our short-term care rating, with a B+ in that category. In the area of short-term care, we try to assess indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. This nursing home is respectable both in terms of its quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its residents. Lastly, we considered the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. It outperformed the majority of nursing homes in the country with 50.5 percent of its residents returning home. This is a higher rate than most nursing homes.
Long-term Care Quality
Contributing to its profile, this facility also earned a grade of B+ for its long-term care rating. This is an above average score in this category. Nursing homes that do well in long-term care tend to provide patients with better supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. In addition to really impressive nursing hour statistics, this facility's vaccination statistics is top notch also. In fact, it vaccinated 99.60317 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Finally, we looked at its number of hospitalizations. Here we found that this place had 3.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. Although this admittedly wasn't as impressive as most of its other scores in this area, this number can be skewed for some nursing homes based on the medical complexity of residents.
Does this page answer your questions about St Francis Home?
Adding to its profile, this facility also earned a grade of B+ for its nursing rating. This is a well above average score in this category. Our nursing score weighs quite a few components, however, the main one is the number of nurse hours per patient per week. This place provides an incredible 4.4 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This is much better than what is offered by most nursing homes. Lastly, this nursing home also performed well in several of the quality-based metrics we looked at. By way of illustration, in terms of the percentage of its residents suffering falls leading to serious injury, this place performed as well as any nursing home in the nation. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can frequently be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Finally, we also wanted to emphasize this facility's nearly flawless inspections in recent years. We awarded them an impressive grade of B+ in this category. This finishes off a very strong report card for this facility. Inspection ratings are based on several pieces of information found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that receive favorable grades in this area tend to have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these places should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This particular nursing home received 10 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a good inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
St Francis Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In St Francis Home, 8.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term care residents that suffer from pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are an barometer of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In St Francis Home, 2.87% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients who have had a fall which resulted in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In St Francis Home, 2.36% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often associated with nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. More frequent bathing reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In St Francis Home, 13.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In St Francis Home, 18.58% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are administered to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In St Francis Home, 3.45% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who are showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In St Francis Home, 91.71% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In St Francis Home, 12.37% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In St Francis Home, 19.59% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that were able to retain mobility. Some believe that mobility is important for residents' well-being.
In St Francis Home, 1.35 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In St Francis Home, 19.59 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In St Francis Home, 10.82 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In St Francis Home, 76.52% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts argue this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Saginaw, MI
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Saginaw, Michigan has 6 other nursing homes
- Healthsource SaginawAcute Care Hospitals 2.38 miles away3340 Hospital Road Saginaw Michigan 48603Voluntary non-profit - Other(989) 790-7888
- Covenant Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.84 miles away1447 N Harrison Saginaw Michigan 48602Voluntary non-profit - Private(989) 583-4000
- Ascension St Mary's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.51 miles away800 S Washington Avenue Saginaw Michigan 48601Voluntary non-profit - Church(989) 776-8000
- Mclaren Bay RegionAcute Care Hospitals 14.84 miles away1900 Columbus Ave Bay City Michigan 48708Voluntary non-profit - Private(989) 894-3000
- Midmichigan Medical Center-MidlandAcute Care Hospitals 18.1 miles away4000 Wellness Drive Midland Michigan 48670Voluntary non-profit - Other(989) 839-3000
- Town Center Dialysis - Davita4.5 miles away323 N Michigan Ave Saginaw Michigan 48602CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (989) 791-3624
- Bay Area Regl Dialysis Ctr - Saginaw Riverside4.92 miles away920 N Niagara St Saginaw Michigan 48602CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (989) 921-2170
- Saginaw Dialysis Clinic - Davita5.61 miles away311 Hoyt Ave Saginaw Michigan 48607Dialysis Stations: 13 (989) 771-5094
- Bay Area Regl Dialysis Ctr - Saginaw5.74 miles away4800 Mcleod Dr E Saginaw Michigan 48604CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (989) 790-9440
- Gulch Dialysis LLC5.98 miles away5641 Bay Rd Saginaw Michigan 48604Dialysis Stations: 13 (989) 249-1350
- Davita Colmare Dialysis10.91 miles away6302 Dixie Hwy Bridgeport Michigan 48722Dialysis Stations: 12 (989) 777-0780
- Davita - Bay City Dialysis13.86 miles away3170 Professional Ct Bay City Michigan 48706CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (989) 686-8782
- Bay Area Reg Dialysis - Essexville16.09 miles away1536 W Center Rd Essexville Michigan 48732Dialysis Stations: 24 (989) 894-2810