St Dominic Village Nursing Home is a large non-profit facility in Houston, Texas. We awarded this nursing home an overall grade of B+. A score of this caliber requires above average marks in most areas. Even in a city of 25 other nursing homes, this nursing home caught our attention as a great choice. Fortunately, this nursing home didn't have any bad scores in any of the major categories. Additional information about its category grades is available below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
St Dominic Village Nursing Home
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Houston senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a great nursing home is that it received an A+ long-term care grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this category. Facilities that do well in long-term care tend to be well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to residents. One of the criteria we considered on top of nursing hours was vaccinations. This facility administered the pneumonia vaccination to 98.73418 percent of its residents. This is a proven method to avoid unnecessary hospitalizations for the senior population. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
This facility also excelled in inspections. We gave it a grade of A for that category. Inspection ratings are based on items found on the a nursing home's government inspections. Facilities that score well in this area typically have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. While this place had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about St Dominic Village Nursing Home?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home is also strong in the category of short-term care, where it was awarded a score of B. It performed better than most nursing homes in this category. In the area of short-term care, we try to qualify measures of a facility's rehabilitation services. We analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. Unfortunately, it does not look like this nursing home provided information about its staffing of registered nurses or physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of patients that eventually returned home from this nursing home. We found that 5.5 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
The next area we graded is nursing. This nursing home was given a strong nursing rating in our assessment, with a C. While this was not quite as dominant as some of its other grades, this is nevertheless a respectable rating in this category. Our nursing category consists of several subcategories, many of which are tied to nursing hours. This nursing home averages just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics. While this place got dinged a bit for nursing hours per resident, it excelled in some of these quality-based metrics. With fewer than five percent of its residents suffering from pressure ulcers, it fared well in this statistic. This is typically a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by employing a protocol of moving residents more often.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
St Dominic Village Nursing Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In St Dominic Village Nursing Home, 7.17% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic is is a measure of the percent of long-term patients which suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a solid barometer of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In St Dominic Village Nursing Home, 3.38% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents who have had a fall which caused severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In St Dominic Village Nursing Home, 1.52% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often caused by worse hygiene protocols. Additional nurse staffing reduces the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Keep in mind that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In St Dominic Village Nursing Home, 10.14% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term patients that were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior in scenarios where such drugs are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of patients with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In St Dominic Village Nursing Home, 22.67% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are administered to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In St Dominic Village Nursing Home, 4.84% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents exhibiting signs of depression. Some argue that this is a measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In St Dominic Village Nursing Home, 93.69% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In St Dominic Village Nursing Home, 17.58% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and taking a bath. Some believe that this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In St Dominic Village Nursing Home, 13.47% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In St Dominic Village Nursing Home, 1.89 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is important to the physical well-being of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In St Dominic Village Nursing Home, 13.47 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In St Dominic Village Nursing Home, 11.91 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In St Dominic Village Nursing Home, 66.29% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term patients that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Houston, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Houston, Texas has 24 other nursing homes
- Chi St Luke's Health Baylor College of Medicine MeAcute Care Hospitals 0.79 miles away7200 Cambridge, 11th Floor Houston Texas 77030Voluntary non-profit - Church(832) 355-1000
- Memorial Hermann Texas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.11 miles away6411 Fannin Houston Texas 77030Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 704-3700
- Houston Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.14 miles away6565 Fannin Houston Texas 77030Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 790-2221
- Texas Childrens HospChildrens 1.19 miles away6621 Fannin Street Houston Texas 77030Voluntary non-profit - Private(832) 824-1000
- Park Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.28 miles away1313 Hermann Dr Houston Texas 77004Proprietary(713) 527-5019
- Harris Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 1.33 miles away2525 Holly Hall Houston Texas 77054Government - Hospital District or Authority(713) 566-6417
- Womans Hospital of Texas,TheAcute Care Hospitals 1.37 miles away7600 Fannin Houston Texas 77054Proprietary(713) 790-1234
- Sun Behavioral HoustonPsychiatric 1.45 miles away7601 Fannin Street Houston Texas 77054Proprietary(713) 795-5025
- Medical Center Kidney Clinic0.35 miles away2254 Holcombe Blvd Houston Texas 77030CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (713) 797-9909
- Children's Memorial Hermann Dialysis Center1.06 miles away6411 Fannin St Houston Texas 77030Dialysis Stations: 7 (713) 704-0093
- Med Center Dialysis1.06 miles away5610 Almeda Road Houston Texas 77004CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 72 (713) 520-6878
- Texas Childrens Hospital Dialysis Unit1.17 miles away6621 Fannin Ste Wt 8-100 Houston Texas 77030Dialysis Stations: 14 (832) 826-0850
- Davita-Binz Home Training1.34 miles away1213 Herman Drive, Suite 180 Houston Texas 77004Dialysis Stations: 5 (713) 529-5155
- Baylor College of Medicine-Scott Street Dialysis1.36 miles away6120 Scott Street, Suite F Houston Texas 77021CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (713) 741-7059
- Clutch City Dialysis Center1.42 miles away5910 Scott Street Suite A Houston Texas 77021CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (713) 748-0554
- Sng - Sohum Southeast Houston Dialysis Center Lp1.47 miles away7647 South Freeway Houston Texas 77021Dialysis Stations: 24 (713) 842-1010