St. Catherine of Siena Nursing & Rehabilitation is a very-large non-profit facility in Smithtown, New York. Sporting an overall grade of A-, this is undoubtedly a very strong facility. Not surprisingly, this is the top nursing home in Smithtown. The best aspect of this nursing home's strong report card is its inspection reports. Inspection reports are discussed in the next paragraph
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
St. Catherine of Siena Nursing & Rehabilitation
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Smithtown senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in Smithtown, New York Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Smithtown, New York Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Smithtown, New York Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a great overall grade, this facility also received A+ health inspections in recent years. Its inspections were virtually flawless. Our inspection grades weigh a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we consider is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with higher scores in this area usually have very few severe deficiencies. Unfortunately, it does not appear that we were able to find information on deficiency's for this nursing home. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also was given a high-end short-term care grade. In fact, this ended up being this facility's second strongest category score. In that area, we awarded this facility a score of A. Short-term care scores are based in part on a nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled highly skilled professionals. This includes a wide scope of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, in addition to other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last metric we considered in this area is the percentage of patients that eventually returned home from the nursing home. We found that 6.5 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about St. Catherine of Siena Nursing & Rehabilitation?
Long-term Care Quality
The third area we analyzed is long-term care. Contributing to its top-shelf resume, this facility also performed well in that category. In fact, it received a of A in that area. Nursing homes that receive this kind of score in this category typically provide consistent 24/7 care to ensure residents are well cared for. Once we looked at the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 99.77376 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is significantly higher than the average nursing home. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
The final category we assessed is nursing. In this category, we awarded this facility a decent grade of C. This actually proved to be this nursing home's worst category. The nursing grade weighs quite a few factors, but the primary consideration is the quantity of nurse hours spent with patients. This place provides only 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This is a somewhat concerning figure which is well below average. Finally, our nursing scores also factor in some quality-focused measures. We especially look at the percentage of patients who sustained pressure ulcers and major falls. Sometimes these data points are indicators of the quality of nursing care, since superior care can reduce these problems.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
St. Catherine of Siena Nursing & Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In St. Catherine of Siena Nursing & Rehabilitation, 11.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric indicates the percent of long-term residents who have new or worsened pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a solid measure of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In St. Catherine of Siena Nursing & Rehabilitation, 2.49% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that have had a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are often associated with poor nursing care. Better nursing protocols can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In St. Catherine of Siena Nursing & Rehabilitation, 2.91% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes associated with insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In St. Catherine of Siena Nursing & Rehabilitation, 3.17% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are given to residents for many conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Sadly, in some cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In St. Catherine of Siena Nursing & Rehabilitation, 14.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are given to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In St. Catherine of Siena Nursing & Rehabilitation, 0% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who are demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In St. Catherine of Siena Nursing & Rehabilitation, 99.04% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In St. Catherine of Siena Nursing & Rehabilitation, 8.2% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In St. Catherine of Siena Nursing & Rehabilitation, 6.84% of Residents
This is the percentage of residents that maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In St. Catherine of Siena Nursing & Rehabilitation, 0.03 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is important to maintaining the physical well-being of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In St. Catherine of Siena Nursing & Rehabilitation, 6.84% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In St. Catherine of Siena Nursing & Rehabilitation, 6.34% of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In St. Catherine of Siena Nursing & Rehabilitation, 57% of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many believe this is a measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
- St Catherine of Siena HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.1 miles away50 Route 25a Smithtown New York 11787Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 862-3000
- Pilgrim Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 5.66 miles away998 Crooked Hill Road Brentwood New York 11717Government - State(631) 761-3500
- John T Mather Memorial Hospital of Port JeffersonAcute Care Hospitals 10.08 miles away75 North Country Road Port Jefferson New York 11777Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 473-1320
- Southside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.09 miles away301 East Main Street Bay Shore New York 11706Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 968-3000
- St Charles HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.12 miles away200 Belle Terre Road Port Jefferson New York 11777Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 474-6000
- Huntington HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.13 miles away270 Park Avenue Huntington New York 11743Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 351-2000
- Good Samaritan Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.5 miles away1000 Montauk Highway West Islip New York 11795Voluntary non-profit - Church(631) 376-3000
- Long Island Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.93 miles away101 Hospital Road Patchogue New York 11772Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 654-7100
- St. Catherine of Siena Med. Ctr0.05 miles away50 Route 25a Dialysis Unit Smithtown New York 11787CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (631) 862-3707
- Hauppauge Dialysis Center4.27 miles away30 Central Avenue Hauppauge New York 11788CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (631) 761-6605
- Island Rehabilitative Services - Commack4.72 miles away68 Hauppauge Road Commack New York 11725CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (631) 715-2740
- Coram Dialysis Center6.98 miles away1500 Middle Country Road Centereach New York 11720Dialysis Stations: 16 (631) 716-8758
- Stony Brook Kidney Center, Dci7.48 miles away26 Research Way East Setauket New York 11733CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (631) 444-0502
- Carillon Dialysis LLC8.67 miles away830 Park Avenue Huntington New York 11743Dialysis Stations: 8 (631) 630-0398
- Knickerbocker Dialysis Inc.9.01 miles away200 Carleton Avenue East Islip New York 11730CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (631) 581-0897
- Fms-Central Suffolk Akc9.77 miles away5225 Nesconset Highway Unit #72 - Bldg.9 Port Jefferson Station New York 11776CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (631) 331-5600