St. Catherine of Siena Nursing & Rehabilitation is a very-large non-profit facility in Smithtown, New York. Sporting an overall grade of A, this is undoubtedly a top-shelf facility. We were so impressed with this nursing home that we ranked it in the top fifth of all facilities in the country. As you can see below, this facility also performed well in our category grades. It's hard to poke holes in this facility's profile.
St. Catherine of Siena Nursing & Rehabilitation
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. Arguably the most critical factor we consider in calculating our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities with better grades in this category most likely avoided the more severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. We weren't able to locate deficiency counts for this nursing home. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
We also wanted to note the fact that this facility was given a first-rate grade of A in our short-term care category. Short-term care ratings are based on a facility's quantity of skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This means a broad spectrum of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, in addition to other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final datapoint we looked at in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the facility and return home. We found that 6.7 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about St. Catherine of Siena Nursing & Rehabilitation?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning the page to our next category, we gave this nursing home a score of A for our long-term care rating. This is a first-rate rating. Facilities that excel in long-term care tend to provide patients with better supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. In addition to considering the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 99.54338 percent of its residents, which is much higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
The last area we scored was nursing, in which this nursing home was given a B. This actually was this nursing home's least impressive category. A nursing home is doing something right when it's worst grade still beats out most other facilities. Nursing ratings are based in large part on quantity of nursing care available. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
St. Catherine of Siena Nursing & Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In St. Catherine of Siena Nursing & Rehabilitation, 9.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely the result of patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In St. Catherine of Siena Nursing & Rehabilitation, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents who have had a fall which caused serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In St. Catherine of Siena Nursing & Rehabilitation, 2.08% of Patients had UTIs
This measures the percent of long-term residents who sustained urinary tract infections. Although a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it can be problematic to compare between facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In St. Catherine of Siena Nursing & Rehabilitation, 11.61% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are given to patients for many medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Tragically, in limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In St. Catherine of Siena Nursing & Rehabilitation, 13.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are given to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In St. Catherine of Siena Nursing & Rehabilitation, 13.6% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents exhibiting signs of depression. Some argue that this is a measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In St. Catherine of Siena Nursing & Rehabilitation, 91.89% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In St. Catherine of Siena Nursing & Rehabilitation, 14.66% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In St. Catherine of Siena Nursing & Rehabilitation, 18.82% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents who maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In St. Catherine of Siena Nursing & Rehabilitation, 1.2 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In St. Catherine of Siena Nursing & Rehabilitation, 18.82 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In St. Catherine of Siena Nursing & Rehabilitation, 8.77 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In St. Catherine of Siena Nursing & Rehabilitation, 74.71% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements.
- St Catherine of Siena HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.1 miles away50 Route 25a Smithtown New York 11787Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 862-3000
- Pilgrim Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 5.66 miles away998 Crooked Hill Road Brentwood New York 11717Government - State(631) 761-3500
- John T Mather Memorial Hospital of Port JeffersonAcute Care Hospitals 10.08 miles away75 North Country Road Port Jefferson New York 11777Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 473-1320
- Southside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.09 miles away301 East Main Street Bay Shore New York 11706Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 968-3000
- St Charles HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.12 miles away200 Belle Terre Road Port Jefferson New York 11777Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 474-6000
- Huntington HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.13 miles away270 Park Avenue Huntington New York 11743Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 351-2000
- Good Samaritan Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.5 miles away1000 Montauk Highway West Islip New York 11795Voluntary non-profit - Church(631) 376-3000
- Long Island Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.93 miles away101 Hospital Road Patchogue New York 11772Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 654-7100
- St. Catherine of Siena Med. Ctr0.05 miles away50 Route 25a Dialysis Unit Smithtown New York 11787CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (631) 862-3707
- Hauppauge Dialysis Center4.27 miles away30 Central Avenue Hauppauge New York 11788CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (631) 761-6605
- Island Rehabilitative Services - Commack4.72 miles away68 Hauppauge Road Commack New York 11725CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (631) 715-2740
- Coram Dialysis Center6.98 miles away1500 Middle Country Road Centereach New York 11720Dialysis Stations: 16 (631) 716-8758
- Stony Brook Kidney Center, Dci7.48 miles away26 Research Way East Setauket New York 11733CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (631) 444-0502
- Carillon Dialysis LLC8.67 miles away830 Park Avenue Huntington New York 11743Dialysis Stations: 8 (631) 630-0398
- Knickerbocker Dialysis Inc.9.01 miles away200 Carleton Avenue East Islip New York 11730CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (631) 581-0897
- Fms-Central Suffolk Akc9.77 miles away5225 Nesconset Highway Unit #72 - Bldg.9 Port Jefferson Station New York 11776CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (631) 331-5600