St Catherine Laboure Health Care Center is in Buffalo, New York, which is among the largest metropolitan areas in the nation. We awarded this nursing home an overall rating of A+ which is a phenomenal overall rating. As a result, it graded out better than many of the facilities in Buffalo by a sizable margin. In addition, this facility is also located in a hospital, which can often mean the nursing home offers more extensive healthcare services. Headlining this facility's stellar report card is its inspection reports, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
St Catherine Laboure Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Adult Day Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Church related
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Bariatric Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Top Nursing Home in New York Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in New York Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with its favorable overall score, we awarded this facility an A+ for inspections. Inspection ratings take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these factors by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Although this nursing home had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Adding to its high-end achievements in other areas, we awarded this facility a score of A for its long-term care grade. Nursing homes that do well in this category typically are well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to patients. In addition to looking at the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 99.203186 percent of its residents, which is an impressive figure. Pneumonia sadly can be a life or death condition for nursing home residents so we strongly prefer when a nursing home does not roll the dice on this issue. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about St Catherine Laboure Health Care Center?
Adding to its strong resume, this facility also received an excellent nursing score, with a grade of A. When calculating our nursing grades, we factor in both staffing levels and the skill levels of the nurses. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to our last area, this facility received a very strong short-term care score. We gave it an A- in that area, rounding out a straight A profile. Short-term care grades are commonly employed to assess a facility's rehabilitation services. In order to provide good rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to provide higher levels of highly skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other highly trained professionals. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last statistic we considered in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
St Catherine Laboure Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In St Catherine Laboure Health Care Center, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term residents who are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We use this statistic in calculating both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In St Catherine Laboure Health Care Center, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are often caused by lower levels of patient supervision. Additional nurse staffing can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In St Catherine Laboure Health Care Center, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of long-term care residents that sustained urinary tract infections. UTI's could be an indication of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this metric could also be misleading for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In St Catherine Laboure Health Care Center, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term residents who are administered antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such medications are not medically indicated. However, some nursing homes may need to rely on these medications due to having more residents with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In St Catherine Laboure Health Care Center, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are commonly used to treat patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In St Catherine Laboure Health Care Center, 13.2% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In St Catherine Laboure Health Care Center, 91.26% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In St Catherine Laboure Health Care Center, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In St Catherine Laboure Health Care Center, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that were able to retain mobility. Many believe that mobility is vital to residents' physical and mental health.
In St Catherine Laboure Health Care Center, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In St Catherine Laboure Health Care Center, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In St Catherine Laboure Health Care Center, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to gauge patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In St Catherine Laboure Health Care Center, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with ADL's usually correlates with better rehabilitation.
Scores for Buffalo, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Buffalo, New York has 19 other nursing homes
- Sisters of Charity HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0 miles away2157 Main Street Buffalo New York 14214Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 862-1000
- Erie County Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.05 miles away462 Grider Street Buffalo New York 14215Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 898-3936
- Kaleida HealthAcute Care Hospitals 2.15 miles away100 High Street Buffalo New York 14210Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 859-8620
- Kenmore Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.68 miles away2950 Elmwood Avenue Buffalo New York 14217Voluntary non-profit - Church(716) 447-6100
- Mercy Hospital of BuffaloAcute Care Hospitals 5.96 miles away565 Abbott Road Buffalo New York 14220Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 826-7000
- Western Ny Childrens Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 8.55 miles away1010 East & West Road Buffalo New York 14224Government - State(716) 677-7000
- Niagara Falls Memorial Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.16 miles away621 Tenth Street Niagara Falls New York 14302Voluntary non-profit - Other(716) 278-4000
- Mount St Mary's Hospital and Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.05 miles away5300 Military Road Lewiston New York 14092Voluntary non-profit - Church(716) 297-4800
- Erie County Medical Center0.98 miles away462 Grider Street Dialysis Unit Buffalo New York 14215Dialysis Stations: 36 (716) 898-1400
- Liberty Rc, Inc.2.07 miles away699 Hertel Ave Buffalo New York 14207Dialysis Stations: 17 (716) 871-4172
- Fms-Kenmore Artificial Kidney Center2.38 miles away1508 Sheridan Drive Buffalo New York 14217CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (716) 871-9988
- Davita Cleve Hill Dialysis Center2.57 miles away1461 Kensington Avenue Buffalo New York 14215CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (716) 831-8892
- Davita Buffalo Downtown Dialysis2.75 miles away520 Ellicott St Suite 100 Buffalo New York 14203Dialysis Stations: 13 (716) 845-5101
- Us Renal Care West Cheektowaga3.31 miles away2861 Harlem Road Buffalo New York 14225CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (716) 891-7429
- Us Renal Care Amherst Dialysis3.83 miles away2880, Sheridan Dr Tonawanda New York 14150Dialysis Stations: 13 (716) 541-9165
- Oishei Children's Hospital of Buffalo4.54 miles awayHemodialysis Unit 818 Ellicott Street Buffalo New York 14203Dialysis Stations: 4 (716) 323-1765