St Anthony Home - Crown Point is a large government-owned facility in Crown Point, Indiana. Featuring an overall grade of F, we consider this to be a very poor facility. If you are not satisfied with this facility's rather poor overall grade, you will be pleased to know there are four other nursing homes in Crown Point. More information on this facility's category grades may be found below. Its best category was short-term care, which is addressed in the next section.
St Anthony Home - Crown Point
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
203 Franciscan Dr,
Crown Point IN 46307
80.05% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Government - County
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
Neither this facility's overall grade nor its category grades gave us anything positive to point out. Its best area was short-term care, but even there it received a lowly D. Our short-term care grade is typically used to judge a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation. To offer highly rated rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally must feature better levels of highly skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other highly skilled individuals. With its poor grade in this area, we weren't stunned to find this facility provided substantially fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than most facilities. The last metric we assessed in this category is the percentage of residents that were able to return home from the facility. This facility struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 5.2 percent of its residents returning home. This was quite a bit below the national average.
This facility's next best category was inspections, but even there it received a grade of just D. This is still a very poor grade. Inspection grades weigh several factors found on a nursing home's inspection reports. You should be most cautious when considering a nursing home that has severe deficiencies on a recent inspection report. This nursing home had 6 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only positive thing we found is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that suggest they posed a risk to resident safety or health. Lastly, we want to point out that this facility was assessed large government fines recently of more than $50,000. This generally signifies that CMS inspectors became frustrated after several years of bad health inspections.
Does this page answer your questions about St Anthony Home - Crown Point?
In addition, we gave this facility an F in the area of nursing care. We looked at the skill-level of nurses at the nursing home, as well as the number of hours the nurses worked with residents, in determining our score in this category. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing scores. This nursing home fared well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we looked at is long-term care. This facility was given an abysmal grade of F in this area. If you are seeking anything other than rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each nursing home's long-term care scores. On top of assessing the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 95.12635 percent of its patients. Surprisingly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility had less hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. Unfortunately, some of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
St Anthony Home - Crown Point Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In St Anthony Home - Crown Point, 7.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In St Anthony Home - Crown Point, 3.93% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are often associated with lower levels of patient supervision. Better nursing care reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In St Anthony Home - Crown Point, 1.87% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely linked to a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this metric could be skewed for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In St Anthony Home - Crown Point, 13.18% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term stay patients taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In St Anthony Home - Crown Point, 21.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are administered to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In St Anthony Home - Crown Point, 12.89% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In St Anthony Home - Crown Point, 91.48% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In St Anthony Home - Crown Point, 15.74% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of deterioration of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In St Anthony Home - Crown Point, 15.7% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that remained mobile levels. Many in the industry would argue that mobility is vital to residents' physical and mental well-being.
In St Anthony Home - Crown Point, 1.46 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In St Anthony Home - Crown Point, 15.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In St Anthony Home - Crown Point, 11.29 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In St Anthony Home - Crown Point, 73.78% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Crown Point, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Crown Point, Indiana has 4 other nursing homes
- Franciscan Health Crown PointAcute Care Hospitals 0.14 miles away1201 S Main St Crown Point Indiana 46307Voluntary non-profit - Church(219) 757-6100
- St Mary Medical Center IncAcute Care Hospitals 9.75 miles away1500 S Lake Park Ave Hobart Indiana 46342Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 942-0551
- Franciscan Health DyerAcute Care Hospitals 10.51 miles away24 Joliet St Dyer Indiana 46311Voluntary non-profit - Church(219) 865-2141
- Franciscan Health MunsterAcute Care Hospitals 12.22 miles away701 Superior Ave Munster Indiana 46321Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 922-4200
- Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.72 miles away901 Macarthur Blvd Munster Indiana 46321Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 836-1600
- Methodist Hospitals IncAcute Care Hospitals 13.99 miles away600 Grant St Gary Indiana 46402Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 886-4000
- St Catherine Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 16.89 miles away4321 Fir St East Chicago Indiana 46312Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 392-7004
- Franciscan Health HammondAcute Care Hospitals 16.98 miles away5454 Hohman Ave Hammond Indiana 46320Voluntary non-profit - Church(219) 932-2300
- Fmc - Crown Point0.74 miles away851 W. Burrell St. Crown Point Indiana 46307CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (219) 662-2648
- Davita - Merrillville Dialysis3.79 miles away9223 Taft Street Merrillville Indiana 46410Dialysis Stations: 16 (219) 793-9035
- Fmc - Merrillville Dialysis Center4.89 miles away550 West 84th Drive Merrillville Indiana 46410CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (219) 795-1990
- Home Dialysis Services Merrillville, LLC5.56 miles away200 East 80th Place Suite 2 Merrillville Indiana 46410Dialysis Stations: 1 (219) 472-0379
- Davita - St. John Dialysis5.94 miles away10033 Wicker Ave Saint John Indiana 46373Dialysis Stations: 16 (219) 365-5043
- Schererville Dialysis Center7.31 miles away1534 Us Highway 41 Schererville Indiana 46375Dialysis Stations: 17 (219) 322-5448
- Merrillville North Dialysis Center7.82 miles away6059 Broadway Merrillville Indiana 46410CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (219) 980-1090
- Davita - Gary9.38 miles away4802 Broadway Gary Indiana 46408CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (219) 887-1199