St Andrews Healthcare is in the large metropolitan area of Los Angeles, California with a population of 2,378,448 people. This nursing home received an A- overall, which is one of our more impressive grades. We were not surprised to discover that this proved to be one of the three best nursing homes in the city. This facility's strong profile was highlighted by its long-term care grade, which is addressed in the next section.
St Andrews Healthcare
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
2300 W. Washington Blvd.,
Los Angeles CA 90018
70.84% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
On top of being a first rate nursing home overall, this nursing home also excelled in long-term care, where it received an impressive grade of A+. Few facilities fared better in this area. Nursing homes that excel in long-term care tend to be well-staffed and offer extensive hands on care to residents. After looking at the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients out of the hospital. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
One of the other reasons we graded this facility so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing score. In fact, nursing proved to be its second best category grade. In that category, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A. When computing our nursing ratings, we analyze both nursing hours and the levels of licensure of those nurses. This facility provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about St Andrews Healthcare?
Short-term Care Quality
The third category we analyzed is short-term care. Adding to its impressive resume, this nursing home also performed well in this area. In fact, we gave it a grade of of A- in that category. In the category of short-term care, we strive to assess measures of a facility's rehabilitation services. We assess the facility's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and various therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
In the last area we looked at, we found that this nursing home received a solid inspection report this year as well. It earned a decent grade in our inspection category with a B. Our inspection scores are based on data points located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that score well in this area have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these places should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. While this facility had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were severe based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
St Andrews Healthcare Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In St Andrews Healthcare, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In St Andrews Healthcare, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that have had a major fall. Falls leading to severe injury are often caused by lower quality nursing care. Closer supervision minimizes the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In St Andrews Healthcare, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely caused by worse hygiene protocols. However, this datapoint could be misleading for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In St Andrews Healthcare, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In St Andrews Healthcare, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are administered to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In St Andrews Healthcare, 4.64% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents exhibiting symptoms of depression. High rates of depression could indicate worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In St Andrews Healthcare, 95.44% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these types of vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In St Andrews Healthcare, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In St Andrews Healthcare, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term care patients that were able to retain mobility. Some believe that the ability to move around is critical to residents' health.
In St Andrews Healthcare, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is critical to preserving the physical health of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In St Andrews Healthcare, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In St Andrews Healthcare, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to gauge patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Scores for Los Angeles, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Los Angeles, California has 74 other nursing homes
- California Hospital Medical Center LaAcute Care Hospitals 2.67 miles away1401 South Grand Avenue Los Angeles California 90015Voluntary non-profit - Other(213) 748-2411
- Saint Vincent Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.69 miles away2131 W 3rd St Los Angeles California 90057Voluntary non-profit - Church(213) 484-7111
- Southern California Hospital at HollywoodAcute Care Hospitals 4 miles away6245 De Longpre Ave Los Angeles California 90028Proprietary(323) 462-2271
- Hollywood Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.04 miles away1300 N Vermont Ave Los Angeles California 90027Proprietary(213) 413-3000
- Children's Hosp of Los AngelesChildrens 4.19 miles away4650 Sunset Blvd, Ms 108 Los Angeles California 90027Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 669-2164
- Cedars-Sinai Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.67 miles away8700 Beverly Blvd Los Angeles California 90048Voluntary non-profit - Other(310) 423-5000
- Lac+Usc Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.95 miles away1200 N State St, Room c2k100 Los Angeles California 90033Government - Local(323) 226-2800
- Community Hospital of Huntington ParkAcute Care Hospitals 6.19 miles away2623 E Slauson Ave Huntington Park California 90255Proprietary(323) 583-1931
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of Mid-Wilshire1.59 miles away3545 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 100-103 Los Angeles California 90010CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (213) 382-8864
- Davita-Los Angeles Dialysis Center1.76 miles away3901 S. Western Avenue Los Angeles California 90062CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (323) 294-0670
- Davita-Los Angeles Downtown2.35 miles away2021 S. Flower Street Los Angeles California 90007CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (213) 745-4222
- Davita-University Park Dialysis Center2.6 miles away3986 S. Figueroa Street Los Angeles California 90037CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (213) 749-8297
- u.s. Renal Care Downtown Los Angeles Dialysis2.64 miles away2511 W 3rd Street, Suite 120 Los Angeles California 90057Dialysis Stations: 24 (213) 487-7730
- u.s. Renal Care Grand Avenue Dialysis2.69 miles away1400 S. Grand Avenue, Suite 105 Los Angeles California 90015CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (213) 867-1111
- St. Vincent Dialysis Center, Inc.2.8 miles away201 S. Alvarado Street, Suite 220 Los Angeles California 90057Dialysis Stations: 17 (213) 484-7425
- Kidney Dialysis Center of Baldwin Hills, LLC2.85 miles away3705 S. La Brea Avenue Los Angeles California 90016Dialysis Stations: 17 (323) 293-4488