Springwood Center is a senior living facility located in Sarasota, Florida, which has 232,625 people. This facility was awarded an overall grade of D, which is a well below average score. Keep in mind that Sarasota received a city grade of B+, so should consider other options in the city as well. We wouldn't blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this nursing home's category grades, we will discuss nursing in the next section.
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Note: Springwood Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Even though this facility's overall grade wasn't a highlight, it actually received a somewhat respectable score in the area of nursing. We awarded it a B- for that category. Our nursing score is primarily associated with the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This place averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient per day, which is a very low figure. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this nursing home surprisingly excelled in some of the quality measures we looked at. In fact, it performed well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Short-term Care Quality
The next most favorable category we awarded this nursing home in any category came in the area of short-term care, where we awarded it a grade of B-. Short-term care grades are commonly employed to score a nursing home's rehabilitation services. In order to provide highly rated rehabilitation services, facilities generally must have better levels of skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other licensed professionals. Unfortunately, we found that this facility provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other nursing homes. The key is determining what bearing this had on the quality of care. Finally, we assessed the number of residents who ultimately returned home from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was actually well below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Springwood Center?
Long-term Care Quality
The third area we looked at was long-term care. In that area, we awarded this nursing home a B-. Long-term care ratings are pivotal for individuals looking for personal care. One of the statistics we considered in addition to nursing hours is vaccines. Fortunately, this nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccine to 98.48485 percent of its patients. Lastly, this nursing home was also able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
The final category we looked at is inspections. This nursing home did not receive positive inspection reports in recent years. In fact, we gave it an F in this category. We would advise paying close attention to any deficiencies on a nursing home's inspection reports when it receives this bad of an inspection grade. We would scrutinize the severity of the deficiencies. This particular facility was hit with 7 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only favorable thing we can say is that none of the deficiencies were in the categories that indicate that they caused a threat to resident safety or health. Finally, this facility was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We would not recommend this facility under any circumstance.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Springwood Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Springwood Center, 9.08% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term residents who are suffering from pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a reliable measure of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Springwood Center, 2.82% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents that sustained a fall leading to serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Springwood Center, 1.81% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term residents who sustained a UTI. Although a higher rate of these infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it is problematic to compare between nursing homes due to nursing homes having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Springwood Center, 10.64% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Springwood Center, 21.27% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients who were administered antianxiety medication. These medications are prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Springwood Center, 2.33% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who are showing signs of depression. Increased levels of depression may reveal worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Springwood Center, 94.94% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Springwood Center, 13.07% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Springwood Center, 16.78% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients who were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Springwood Center, 1.76 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Springwood Center, 16.78 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Springwood Center, 9.16 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Springwood Center, 78.49% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Sarasota, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Sarasota, Florida has 22 other nursing homes
- Sarasota Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.88 miles away1700 S Tamiami Trl Sarasota Florida 34239Government - Hospital District or Authority(941) 917-9000
- Lakewood Ranch Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.29 miles away8330 Lakewood Ranch Blvd Bradenton Florida 34202Proprietary(941) 782-2100
- Doctors Hospital of SarasotaAcute Care Hospitals 7.01 miles away5731 Bee Ridge Rd Sarasota Florida 34233Proprietary(941) 342-1100
- Manatee Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.51 miles away206 2nd St E Bradenton Florida 34208Proprietary(941) 746-5111
- Blake Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.95 miles away2020 59th St W Bradenton Florida 34209Proprietary(941) 792-6611
- Us Renal Care Sarasota3.78 miles away1921 Waldemere St Ste 107 Sarasota Florida 34239CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (941) 917-6444
- Fmc - North Sarasota Dialysis Center5.29 miles away8037 Cooper Creek Blvd Bradenton Florida 34201Dialysis Stations: 14 (941) 351-1641
- Fresenius Kidney Care Sarasota Trails5.38 miles away4012 S Tamiami Trail Sarasota Florida 34231Dialysis Stations: 17 (941) 924-0003
- Lakewood Ranch Dialysis5.39 miles away8470 Cooper Creek Blvd Bradenton Florida 34201Dialysis Stations: 12 (941) 359-0676
- Manasota Dialysis6.58 miles away6960 Professional Pkwy E Units 4 & 5 Sarasota Florida 34240Dialysis Stations: 16 (941) 362-2864
- Bradenton Dialysis7.01 miles away3501 Cortez Rd W Bradenton Florida 34210Dialysis Stations: 16 (941) 727-4209
- Fmc - Sarasota Coastal Dialysis Center7.52 miles away2989 Fruitville Rd Sarasota Florida 34237CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (941) 373-9270
- Southwest Florida Dialysis Center8.32 miles away520 Manatee Ave East Bradenton Florida 34208Dialysis Stations: 24 (941) 747-5500