Springs Village Care Center is an average-sized nursing home located in Colorado Springs, Colorado. We awarded it an overall grade of C, which is a middle of the road score. You can definitely do worse than this facility. The best part of this nursing home's report card was is its inspection grade. We discuss inspections in the next paragraph.
Springs Village Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a respectable facility overall, this place also excelled in the category of inspections, where it received an A-. Few nursing homes performed better in this category. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing these inspection ratings. One critical factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these end up being quite minor. While this nursing home had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were severe based on CMS' scale. A few minor deficiencies shouldn't stop you from considering a nursing home.
One of the other reasons we rated this nursing home so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing score. In that category, we awarded this facility an B-. Nursing scores are heavily correlated with quantity of nursing care available. This nursing home provides only 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This is a somewhat discouraging figure which is well below average. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures. Although this place got dinged a bit for nursing hours, it excelled in a few of these quality metrics. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed remarkably well in this metric. This is generally an indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a policy of moving a patient more often.
Does this page answer your questions about Springs Village Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
We also gave this nursing home a middle of the road score in the area of short-term care, where we gave it a C. Our short-term care grades are based in part on a nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled nursing services. This means a vast spectrum of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, in addition to other variations of therapy. Unfortunately, we found that this nursing home provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other facilities. Finally, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 4.3 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most nursing homes, closer to half of their patients are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we rated is long-term care, which turned out to be this facility's weakest category. Unfortunately, we gave it a lowly F for this category, which is obviously concerning. For long-term care residents, the facility's primary objective is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. On top of assessing the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. Thankfully, this facility gave the vaccine to 99.61089 percent of its residents, which is a very solid percentage. Surprisingly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility had less hospitalizations than most nursing homes. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Springs Village Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Springs Village Care Center, 6.01% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is is a measure of the percent of long-term patients that developed pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a solid measure of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Springs Village Care Center, 3.45% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term patients which experienced falls leading to severe injury. We use this statistic in computing our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Springs Village Care Center, 2.13% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are linked to poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Springs Village Care Center, 17.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. These medications may be used for treating several conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Springs Village Care Center, 12.22% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term patients that were administered antianxiety medication. These medications are generally used to treat residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Springs Village Care Center, 3.73% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Springs Village Care Center, 85.7% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Springs Village Care Center, 15.22% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Springs Village Care Center, 20.53% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Springs Village Care Center, 1.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Springs Village Care Center, 20.53 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Springs Village Care Center, 75.24% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term patients that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Colorado Springs, CO
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Colorado Springs, Colorado has 21 other nursing homes
- Centura Health-Penrose-St Francis Health ServicesAcute Care Hospitals 0.3 miles away2222 North Nevada Ave Colorado Springs Colorado 80907Voluntary non-profit - Private(719) 776-5000
- University Colo Health Memorial Hospital CentralAcute Care Hospitals 2.41 miles away1400 E Boulder St Colorado Springs Colorado 80909Government - Local(719) 365-5000
- Uchealth Grandview HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.96 miles away5623 Pulpit Peak View Colorado Springs Colorado 80918Voluntary non-profit - Private(719) 272-3623
- Cedar Springs Behavioral Health SystemPsychiatric 4.59 miles away2135 Southgate Rd Colorado Springs Colorado 80906Proprietary(719) 633-4114
- Uchealth Pikes Peak Regional HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 15.31 miles away16420 West Highway 24 Woodland Park Colorado 80863Voluntary non-profit - Private(719) 687-9999
- Liberty Dialysis Colorado Springs Central (Fmc)1.91 miles away1910 E Lelaray St Colorado Springs Colorado 80909CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (719) 380-4878
- Pikes Peak Dialysis Center (Dva)1.97 miles away2002 Lelaray St Ste 130 Colorado Springs Colorado 80909CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 43 (719) 471-4615
- Printers Place Dialysis Center (Dva)3.44 miles away2802 International Cir Colorado Springs Colorado 80910Dialysis Stations: 16 (719) 630-0602
- Liberty Dialysis - Colorado Springs South (Fmc)3.63 miles away2508 Airport Rd Colorado Springs Colorado 80909CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (719) 227-7455
- Liberty Dialysis - Colorado Springs North (Fmc)4.24 miles away2180 Hollowbrook Dr Colorado Springs Colorado 80918CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (719) 593-2999
- North Colorado Springs Dialysis (Dva)7.63 miles away6071 E Woodmen Rd Ste 100/120 Colorado Springs Colorado 80923Dialysis Stations: 15 (719) 638-1223