The Willows at Springhurst is an average-sized non-profit nursing home located in Louisville, Kentucky. This facility received an overall grade of B-, which is a solid grade. This nursing home has a few things working in its favor. Lastly, this nursing home's ownership changed in the last year, so we will need to monitor it to confirm it maintains respectable levels of care.
The Willows at Springhurst
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Please note our records indicate that The Willows at Springhurst has changed ownership recently and while our data on this page is up-to-date there is a chance that the quality of this facility may change under new management.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
We awarded this facility an impressive grade of A- in short-term care. Our short-term care grade is often used to grade a facility's rehabilitation services. To have high-end rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally must provide higher levels of highly skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other highly trained professionals. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. However, according to the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last measure we assessed in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that 6.1 percent of this nursing home's residents were able to return home.
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this nursing home received an B+ in nursing. Nursing scores are based in large part on quality and quantity of nursing care. This facility provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can frequently be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about The Willows at Springhurst?
This facility earned its third best category score in inspections. Inspection grades are based on a facility's recent government inspection reports. We awarded this facility a grade of C in this category. Inspection ratings account for a host of factors included in a facility's inspection report. One key criteria we weigh heavily is the number and severity of deficiencies. To our surprise, this nursing home was hit with a category J through K deficiency, which are some of the worst possible deficiencies. This usually means inspectors uncovered a deficiency which placed resident health or safety in immediate danger. Finally, we need to draw your attention to the fact that this nursing home was assessed government fines recently. We were relieved to find that these fines were not as significant as some of the larger fines assessed against other nursing homes. Nevertheless, this is still not what you like to see.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we looked at is long-term care. We gave this facility a grade of D for our long-term care category, making this the facility's worst category. When facilities receive a score in this range in long-term care it typically means the facility did not perform well in our quality measures relating to patient care. Once we concluded our assessment of the quantity of care provided by nurses, we then looked at the facility's vaccination data. Frankly, we were a bit bothered by the fact that this facility vaccinated a relatively low 88.549614 percent of its residents for pneumonia. Surprisingly, this nursing home was actually decent at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had just 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This is its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Willows at Springhurst Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Willows at Springhurst, 9.23% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term care residents who suffer from pressure ulcers . We consider this statistic when determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Willows at Springhurst, 3.88% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are often caused by lower levels of patient supervision. Closer supervision can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Willows at Springhurst, 2.68% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many experts to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often associated with lower quality nursing care. However, this datapoint may be skewed for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Willows at Springhurst, 16.09% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that are prescribed antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes need to rely more on these drugs due to having more patients suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Willows at Springhurst, 28.57% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure indicates the percent of long-term care patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Willows at Springhurst, 8.14% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. Many argue this is a reasonable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Willows at Springhurst, 89.73% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Willows at Springhurst, 15.62% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and bathing. Some experts believe that this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Willows at Springhurst, 21.86% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In The Willows at Springhurst, 1.51 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Willows at Springhurst, 21.86 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Willows at Springhurst, 13.2 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to assess patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Willows at Springhurst, 72.02% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Louisville, KY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Louisville, Kentucky has 40 other nursing homes
- The Brook Hospital - KmiPsychiatric 2.09 miles away8521 Lagrange Road Louisville Kentucky 40242Government - Federal(502) 426-6380
- Baptist Health LouisvilleAcute Care Hospitals 5.1 miles away4000 Kresge Way Louisville Kentucky 40207Voluntary non-profit - Private(502) 897-8100
- Wellstone Regional HospitalPsychiatric 7.73 miles away2700 Vissing Park Rd Jeffersonville Indiana 47130Proprietary(812) 284-8000
- Clark Memorial HealthAcute Care Hospitals 9.45 miles away1220 Missouri Ave Jeffersonville Indiana 47130Voluntary non-profit - Other(812) 283-2147
- University of Louisville HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.73 miles away530 South Jackson Street Louisville Kentucky 40202Voluntary non-profit - Private(502) 562-3000
- Jewish Hospital & St Mary's HealthcareAcute Care Hospitals 10.02 miles away200 Abraham Flexner Way Louisville Kentucky 40202Voluntary non-profit - Private(502) 587-4011
- Norton Hospital / Norton Healthcare Pavilion / NorAcute Care Hospitals 10.04 miles away200 East Chestnut Street Louisville Kentucky 40202Voluntary non-profit - Private(502) 629-8000
- Baptist Health La GrangeAcute Care Hospitals 13.01 miles away1025 New Moody Lane La Grange Kentucky 40031Voluntary non-profit - Private(502) 222-5388
- Davita - Springhurst Dialysis Center0.82 miles away10201 Champion Farms Dr Louisville Kentucky 40241Dialysis Stations: 18 (502) 425-2131
- Fmc - Northeast Louisville1.75 miles away3701 Chamberlain Lane Louisville Kentucky 40241CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (502) 327-1144
- Davita - Shelbyville Road Dialysis4.28 miles away4600 Shelbyville Road, Ste 310 Louisville Kentucky 40207Dialysis Stations: 12 (502) 893-4791
- Fmc - Suburban5.14 miles away3991 Dutchmans Lane Suite G-02 Louisville Kentucky 40207CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (502) 895-2217
- Fmc - Masonic Home Dialysis5.51 miles away3501 Moyers Circle Suite 200 Masonic Home Kentucky 40041Dialysis Stations: 16 (502) 721-1083
- Fmc - Kentuckiana Home Therapies5.74 miles away6400 Dutchmans Parkway, Ste. 145 Louisville Kentucky 40205Dialysis Stations: 6 (502) 895-7650
- Davita - Meadows East5.92 miles away2529 Six Mile Lane, Suite B Louisville Kentucky 40220Dialysis Stations: 12 (502) 499-4384
- University Kidney Center Hikes Lane LLC7.87 miles away2271 Hikes Lane Louisville Kentucky 40218CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (502) 459-5786