Spring Mill Health Campus is a small facility in Merrillville, Indiana. Featuring an overall rating of B-, this is likely a middle of the pack facility. In our view, this facility should be a solid choice for most people. One of the highlights of this facility's profile is its strong short-term care grade, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Spring Mill Health Campus
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
101 W 87th Ave,
Merrillville IN 46410
94.15% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home excelled in the area of short-term care, with an A- in this category. This really boosted its overall grade. In crafting our short-term care grades, we assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The objective is to formulate a barometer for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various facilities. This nursing home provides more services with physical therapists and registered nurses than most nursing homes we looked at. This is usually a favorable sign. Lastly, we looked at the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that it outperformed the vast majority of nursing homes in the nation in this area with 56.9 percent of its residents returning home.
This facility also excelled in the area of nursing. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- for that category, which is one of our highest scores. Our nursing score is primarily tied to the facility's nurse staffing. This place provided 4.6 hours of nursing care per patient per day, which is among the highest figures in the country. A significant portion of those hours were provided by registered nurses, which are one of the more skilled levels of nurses. We were really impressed by both of these figures. On top of providing impressive levels of care, this place also performed well in several of the quality measures we looked at. For example, in terms of the percentage of its patients suffering falls leading to serious injury, this facility performed as well as any facility the nation. Avoiding major falls is generally an indicator that a nursing home has quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be prevented if more nurses and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Spring Mill Health Campus?
This facility also earned a strong inspection score. Inspection grades are based on the nursing home's recent government inspections. We awarded this facility a B in this area. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating our inspection scores. One key factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these are quite insignificant. This particular nursing home received 9 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a good inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Long-term Care Quality
Switching gears to the final category, this nursing home did not perform well. With a rock bottom grade of F in long-term care, this is its worst category grade. Facilities that do not fare well in this category often do not provide as much nursing care and also may be lagging in some of the areas of routine personal care we looked at. This facility's vaccination records were a bit weaker than some of the other data points in this area, such as its nursing hours. This facility provided the pneumonia vaccine to just 73.07692 percent of its residents. We would love to see some improvement in this area next year. Surprisingly, this nursing home was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home had fewer hospitalizations than many nursing homes. This was its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Spring Mill Health Campus Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Spring Mill Health Campus, 7.63% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This measures the percentage of long-term patients who suffered from pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a solid indicator of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Spring Mill Health Campus, 3.9% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term residents which had falls resulting in major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be an indicator of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Spring Mill Health Campus, 1.95% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often associated with a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this statistic may also be skewed for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Spring Mill Health Campus, 13.18% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. These drugs are sometimes used to treat a variety of conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Spring Mill Health Campus, 21.53% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antianxiety medications. These medications are prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Spring Mill Health Campus, 12.55% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Spring Mill Health Campus, 91.52% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Spring Mill Health Campus, 16.15% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Spring Mill Health Campus, 17.47% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents who maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Spring Mill Health Campus, 17.47 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Spring Mill Health Campus, 11.18 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Spring Mill Health Campus, 73.66% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Franciscan Health Crown PointAcute Care Hospitals 4.55 miles away1201 S Main St Crown Point Indiana 46307Voluntary non-profit - Church(219) 757-6100
- St Mary Medical Center IncAcute Care Hospitals 5.54 miles away1500 S Lake Park Ave Hobart Indiana 46342Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 942-0551
- Methodist Hospitals IncAcute Care Hospitals 9.76 miles away600 Grant St Gary Indiana 46402Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 886-4000
- Franciscan Health DyerAcute Care Hospitals 9.89 miles away24 Joliet St Dyer Indiana 46311Voluntary non-profit - Church(219) 865-2141
- Franciscan Health MunsterAcute Care Hospitals 10.46 miles away701 Superior Ave Munster Indiana 46321Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 922-4200
- Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.66 miles away901 Macarthur Blvd Munster Indiana 46321Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 836-1600
- St Catherine Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 13.35 miles away4321 Fir St East Chicago Indiana 46312Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 392-7004
- Franciscan Health HammondAcute Care Hospitals 14.3 miles away5454 Hohman Ave Hammond Indiana 46320Voluntary non-profit - Church(219) 932-2300
- Fmc - Merrillville Dialysis Center0.49 miles away550 West 84th Drive Merrillville Indiana 46410CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (219) 795-1990
- Home Dialysis Services Merrillville, LLC1.05 miles away200 East 80th Place Suite 2 Merrillville Indiana 46410Dialysis Stations: 1 (219) 472-0379
- Davita - Merrillville Dialysis1.45 miles away9223 Taft Street Merrillville Indiana 46410Dialysis Stations: 16 (219) 793-9035
- Merrillville North Dialysis Center3.39 miles away6059 Broadway Merrillville Indiana 46410CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (219) 980-1090
- Davita - Gary4.98 miles away4802 Broadway Gary Indiana 46408CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (219) 887-1199
- Fmc - Crown Point5.19 miles away851 W. Burrell St. Crown Point Indiana 46307CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (219) 662-2648
- Fmc - Hobart5.31 miles away1330 S. Wisconsin Street Hobart Indiana 46342CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (219) 947-9289
- Schererville Dialysis Center6.02 miles away1534 Us Highway 41 Schererville Indiana 46375Dialysis Stations: 17 (219) 322-5448