Spring Gate Rehab & Healthcare Center is located in the densely populated metropolitan area of Memphis, Tennessee which has a total of 697,385 people. Featuring an overall score of F, we consider this to be a lower end nursing home. Keep in mind that Memphis received a city grade of B-, so should look at some other options in the city as well. More information on this facility's category grades may be found below. Its best category was inspections, which is discussed in the next paragraph.
Spring Gate Rehab & Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
3909 Covington Pike,
Memphis TN 38135
50.14% estimated occupancy 1
Note: Spring Gate Rehab & Healthcare Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Catheter Care
Registered Staff Hours
While we graded this facility incredibly poorly overall, it received a fairly respectable inspection report this year. As a result, it received a decent grade in that category with a score of B-. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating our inspection grades. One key factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more important than the number of deficiencies, as some end up being quite minor. While this nursing home had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, CMS cited this nursing home for possible abuse or neglect. Hopefully, its performance improves in the future, but until then we simply can't recommend this facility.
Short-term Care Quality
We were also stunned to discover that this facility received a decent short-term care grade in our assessment. We awarded it a C in that area. Short-term care grades are typically used to grade a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation. In order to offer highly rated rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally need to provide better levels of highly skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other highly trained professionals. In this nursing home's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the typical facility. The final measure we assessed in this category is the number of patients who were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Spring Gate Rehab & Healthcare Center?
Remarkably, we awarded this nursing home a grade of C for our nursing rating, which isn't a bad grade. When computing our nursing ratings, we look at both the number of hours nurses spend with residents and the levels of licensure of those nurses. This facility provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This is a lower figure than we were hoping for. Finally, despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours per resident, this place actually performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is generally a reliable indicator that a nursing home has sufficient quality controls in place.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's least impressive category is long-term care, which is the last category we analyzed. In this category, we gave this facility a grade of D. When nursing homes receive this kind of grade in long-term care it is a bad sign for patient care and it may indicate that the facility is not as well-staffed. After looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination records. We were a bit alarmed this facility vaccinated 78.30189 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which happens to be several points lower than average. Surprisingly, this place was actually decent at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. This is its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Spring Gate Rehab & Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Spring Gate Rehab & Healthcare Center, 8.8% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Spring Gate Rehab & Healthcare Center, 3.44% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term residents which suffered falls which caused severe injury. We use this statistic in determining nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Spring Gate Rehab & Healthcare Center, 3.08% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic measures the percent of long-term care patients who have sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's could be a sign of worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this metric may be skewed for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Spring Gate Rehab & Healthcare Center, 15.67% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. These drugs may be used to treat a variety of medical conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Spring Gate Rehab & Healthcare Center, 29.51% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who are administered antianxiety medication. These medications are generally used to treat residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Spring Gate Rehab & Healthcare Center, 9.05% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who are exhibiting signs of depression. High levels of depression could be a sign a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Spring Gate Rehab & Healthcare Center, 89.05% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home residents, making these vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Spring Gate Rehab & Healthcare Center, 16.44% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Spring Gate Rehab & Healthcare Center, 24.2% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients who were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Spring Gate Rehab & Healthcare Center, 1.27 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Spring Gate Rehab & Healthcare Center, 24.2 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Spring Gate Rehab & Healthcare Center, 11.03 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Spring Gate Rehab & Healthcare Center, 73.13% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Memphis, TN
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Memphis, Tennessee has 20 other nursing homes
- Saint Francis Bartlett Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.23 miles away2986 Kate Bond Rd Memphis Tennessee 38133Proprietary(901) 820-7050
- Baptist Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.17 miles away6019 Walnut Grove Road Memphis Tennessee 38120Voluntary non-profit - Private(901) 226-5000
- St Francis HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.23 miles away5959 Park Ave Memphis Tennessee 38119Proprietary(901) 765-1000
- Methodist Healthcare Memphis HospitalsAcute Care Hospitals 9.89 miles away1265 Union Ave Suite 700 Memphis Tennessee 38104Voluntary non-profit - Church(901) 516-8274
- Memphis Mental Health InstitutePsychiatric 10.14 miles away951 Court Avenue Memphis Tennessee 38103Government - Local(901) 577-1800
- Regional One HealthAcute Care Hospitals 10.17 miles away877 Jefferson Avenue Memphis Tennessee 38103Government - Hospital District or Authority(901) 545-7928
- Delta Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.63 miles away3000 Getwell Rd Memphis Tennessee 38118Proprietary(901) 369-8100
- Crestwyn Behavioral HealthPsychiatric 15.34 miles away9485 Crestwyn Hills Cove Memphis Tennessee 38125Proprietary(901) 457-5667
- Davita Singelton Farms Dialysis0.4 miles away4031 Austin Peay Hwy Memphis Tennessee 38128Dialysis Stations: 17 (901) 379-0491
- Fmc North Memphis0.51 miles away3850 Austin Peay Hwy Suite 10 Memphis Tennessee 38128CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (901) 388-1749
- Renal Care of Memphis North0.59 miles away4913 Raleigh Commons Drive, Suite 100 Memphis Tennessee 38128CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (901) 937-0650
- Isd Bartlett LLC1.85 miles away2920 Covington Pike Memphis Tennessee 38128CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (901) 248-6020
- Bio-Medical Applications of Tennessee, Inc1.93 miles away5020 English Towne Dr Memphis Tennessee 38128Dialysis Stations: 19 (901) 266-1551
- Fmc Bartlett5.72 miles away3348 N Germantown Rd Memphis Tennessee 38133Dialysis Stations: 16 (901) 379-2447
- Fmc Summer5.91 miles away4569 Summer Ave Suite 102 Memphis Tennessee 38122Dialysis Stations: 15 (901) 767-0118
- Memphis Midtown Dialysis6.57 miles away3430 Summer Ave Memphis Tennessee 38122Dialysis Stations: 24 (901) 454-0815