Spring Creek Healthcare Center is in the large metropolitan area of Salt Lake City, Utah. We awarded this facility an overall grade of D. A score of this caliber generally indicates a few concerning datapoints. Based on our assessment, this place likely isn't a great fit for most prospective residents. If you aren't deterred by this place's profile, feel free to continue reading to find out about its category grades. short-term care grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Spring Creek Healthcare Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
4600 South Highland Drive,
Salt Lake City UT 84117
56.3% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
Even though we didn't give this nursing home a favorable overall grade, we actually gave it a strong score in our short-term care rating, where it earned a B+. Our short-term care grade is commonly used to judge a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation. To offer highly graded rehabilitation services, facilities generally must provide better levels of skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This nursing home elevated its grade in this category by offering more care from registered nurses to its residents than the average facility. Finally, we looked at the number of residents who were able to return home from this nursing home. It outperformed the vast majority of nursing homes with 57 percent of its patients returning home.
Surprisingly, this facility actually received an impressive nursing grade this year as well. We gave it a grade of B in this category. Our nursing grade includes a handful of datapoints, but the main one is the quantity of nurse hours spent with patients. This nursing home provides 2.9 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can often be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Spring Creek Healthcare Center?
Unfortunately, this facility didn't receive glowing inspections in recent years. We gave it a grade of just D for our inspections rating. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing our inspection ratings. One of those factors is deficiencies. We recommend you pay close attention to the severity of the deficiencies. This particular nursing home had 3 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only favorable thing we can say is that none of the deficiencies were in the categories that suggest they posed a threat to patient safety or health. Finally, we also need to point out that this facility was assessed significant government fines in recent years of more than $100,000. This often signifies that a facility's bad track record has been an issue for more than one year.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we assessed is long-term care, in which this facility was given a rock bottom score in this category as well. We gave it a lowly F in this category, which is definitely a major concern. Long-term care ratings of this caliber generally are a bad sign for the quantity and quality of care provided by nurses and aids. After considering the amount of nursing care, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 93.82716 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Surprisingly, this place was actually decent at limiting hospitalizations. While it had 1.73 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, its risk adjusted score was not bad since it had more complex patients. This was its best feature in this category
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Spring Creek Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Spring Creek Healthcare Center, 5.88% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Spring Creek Healthcare Center, 3.49% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term care residents who suffered falls which caused serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be a sign of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Spring Creek Healthcare Center, 2.64% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many experts to be a barometer of nursing care . UTI's are often associated with a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this datapoint may be misleading for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Spring Creek Healthcare Center, 14.28% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Spring Creek Healthcare Center, 21.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric gauges the percent of long-term residents who are prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are prescribed to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Spring Creek Healthcare Center, 11.43% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Spring Creek Healthcare Center, 83.42% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Spring Creek Healthcare Center, 13.23% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Spring Creek Healthcare Center, 18.94% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients who remained mobile levels. Some argue that the ability to move around is important for patients mental and physical health.
In Spring Creek Healthcare Center, 0.9 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Spring Creek Healthcare Center, 18.94 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Spring Creek Healthcare Center, 10.55 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to measure patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Spring Creek Healthcare Center, 71.32% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with activities of daily living often correlates with better rehabilitation.
Scores for Salt Lake City, UT
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Salt Lake City, Utah has 20 other nursing homes
- St Mark's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.38 miles away1200 East 3900 South Salt Lake City Utah 84124Proprietary(801) 268-7700
- Intermountain Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.95 miles away5121 South Cottonwood Street Salt Lake City Utah 84107Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 507-7000
- Alta View HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.56 miles away9660 South 1300 East Sandy Utah 84094Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 501-2600
- Salt Lake Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.85 miles away1050 East South Temple Salt Lake City Utah 84102Proprietary(801) 350-4111
- Primary Childrens HospitalChildrens 6.89 miles away100 North Mario Capecchi Drive Salt Lake City Utah 84113Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 662-6212
- University of Utah Hospitals and ClinicsAcute Care Hospitals 6.94 miles away50 North Medical Drive Salt Lake City Utah 84132Government - State(801) 581-2121
- Lds HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.69 miles away8th Avenue and C Street Salt Lake City Utah 84143Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 408-1100
- Jordan Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.09 miles away3580 West 9000 South West Jordan Utah 84088Voluntary non-profit - Other(801) 561-8888
- Intermountain Medical Center Dialysis Services2.82 miles away74 West Vine Street Salt Lake City Utah 84107CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (801) 507-9000
- Fresenius Kidney Care Wasatch2.86 miles away3702 South State Street, Suite 101 Salt Lake City Utah 84115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (801) 904-4407
- West Valley Dialysis Clinic5.45 miles away3854 W 5400 S Salt Lake City Utah 84129CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (801) 969-6801
- Utah Dialysis Lab5.91 miles away1000 S Main St Ste 105 Salt Lake City Utah 84101Dialysis Stations: 19 (801) 408-1400
- Kolff Dialysis Center/Univ. Of Utah6.05 miles away423 Wakara Way Suite 200 Salt Lake City Utah 84108Dialysis Stations: 17 (801) 581-3981
- South Valley Dialysis Center6.19 miles away8750 S Sandy Pkwy Sandy Utah 84070Dialysis Stations: 17 (801) 233-8745
- Oquirrh Artificial Kidney Center6.27 miles away5320 South 2700 West Salt Lake City Utah 84129CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (801) 417-9900
- Primary Children's Dialysis Center6.86 miles away81 North Mario Capecchi Dr Salt Lake City Utah 84113Dialysis Stations: 6 (801) 662-7600