Spaulding Nursing & Therapy Center - Brighton is a large non-profit facility in Allston, Massachusetts. With an A+ overall grade, we ranked this facility number 8 in the nation. This puts it in the top one percent of all nursing homes. We could not find many bad things to say about this place. Its grades are impeccable. If you look further down this page, you can see this nursing home's category scores, which look to be just as strong as its overall score.
Spaulding Nursing & Therapy Center - Brighton
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a quality nursing home is that it received an A+ inspection grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this critical category. These inspection scores weigh several factors, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these issues by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home received 3 deficiencies on its inspection report. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
This exemplary facility also performed well in the category of short-term care, where we gave it a grade of A+. Few nursing homes fared better in this category. Our short-term care grades are based on the nursing home's quantity of skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This includes a vast spectrum of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. We were pleased to find that this nursing home employs both registered nurses and physical therapists. The same can't be said for all nursing homes. The final measure we assessed in this area is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We found that 6.9 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Spaulding Nursing & Therapy Center - Brighton?
This first-rate facility also excelled in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of A+. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Our nursing score analyzes a handful of subcategories, however, the most important consideration is the quantity of nurse hours per patient per week. This particular nursing home provided 0.8 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by having a protocol of turning a resident more frequently.
Long-term Care Quality
In our last category, this facility also received an A+ for its long-term care rating. This finalized a stellar report card of all A+'s. Facilities that receive this type of grade in this category typically provide consistent 24/7 care to make sure residents are well cared for. One of the data points we considered on top of nurse's aid hours was vaccines. This facility administered the pneumonia vaccination to 86.74699 percent of its residents. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Spaulding Nursing & Therapy Center - Brighton Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Spaulding Nursing & Therapy Center - Brighton, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Spaulding Nursing & Therapy Center - Brighton, 3.62% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who have had a fall which caused major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Spaulding Nursing & Therapy Center - Brighton, 2.45% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often caused by nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. Closer supervision reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this statistic is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Spaulding Nursing & Therapy Center - Brighton, 18.96% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to residents for a variety of conditions, including cognitive disorders. Tragically, in some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Spaulding Nursing & Therapy Center - Brighton, 18.8% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are typically prescribed to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Spaulding Nursing & Therapy Center - Brighton, 1.95% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Spaulding Nursing & Therapy Center - Brighton, 91.63% of Patients
This is the percent of residents that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Spaulding Nursing & Therapy Center - Brighton, 15.18% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and eating. Many in the industry argue this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Spaulding Nursing & Therapy Center - Brighton, 19.01% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Spaulding Nursing & Therapy Center - Brighton, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is critical to the physical well-being of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Spaulding Nursing & Therapy Center - Brighton, 19.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Spaulding Nursing & Therapy Center - Brighton, 10.9 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Spaulding Nursing & Therapy Center - Brighton, 71.03% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- St Elizabeth's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.43 miles away736 Cambridge Street Brighton Massachusetts 02135Proprietary(617) 789-3000
- Mount Auburn HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.5 miles away330 Mount Auburn Street Cambridge Massachusetts 02138Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 492-3500
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.11 miles away330 Brookline Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02215Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 667-7000
- Brigham and Women's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.19 miles away75 Francis Street Boston Massachusetts 02115Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 732-5500
- Boston Children's HospitalChildrens 2.25 miles away300 Longwood Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02115Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 735-6000
- Cambridge Health AllianceAcute Care Hospitals 2.4 miles away1493 Cambridge Street Cambridge Massachusetts 02138Government - Local(617) 665-2300
- Boston Medical Center Corporation-Acute Care Hospitals 3.7 miles away1 Boston Medical Center Place Boston Massachusetts 02118Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 638-8000
- Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary -Acute Care Hospitals 3.71 miles away243 Charles Street Boston Massachusetts 02114Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 523-7900
- Saint Elizabeth's Medical Center of Boston1.15 miles awayDialysis Unit - Ccp 7 736 Cambridge Street Brighton Massachusetts 02135Dialysis Stations: 17 (617) 789-2592
- Kidney Center1.54 miles away888 Commonwealth Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02215CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 739-3000
- Davita Brookline Dialysis1.86 miles away322 Washington Street Brookline Massachusetts 02445CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (617) 734-7794
- Davita Northeast Cambridge Dialysis2.63 miles away799 Concord Avenue Cambridge Massachusetts 02138CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (617) 547-7700
- Brigham and Women's Hospital2.85 miles awayDialysis Unit 75 Francis Street Boston Massachusetts 02115Dialysis Stations: 7 (617) 732-6130
- Children's Hospital Boston2.85 miles awayDialysis Unit, Farley Four 300 Longwood Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02115Dialysis Stations: 7 (617) 355-7631
- Dci Brigham/Faulkner3.42 miles awayDci Brigham/Faulkner 1153 Centre Street, Belkin House Jamaica Plain Massachusetts 02130CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 983-4470
- Dci Ball Square3.58 miles away643 Broadway Somerville Massachusetts 02145CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (617) 616-3600