Spanish Trails Rehabilitation Suites is located in Albuquerque, New Mexico. This city is one of the most densely populated metropolitan areas in the nation with has 641,349 people. With a terrible overall grade of F, this nursing home isn't high on our list. Fortunately, this nursing home is one of 18 nursing homes in this city so if you aren't impressed, you should have better options. More information on this facility's category grades may be found below. Its best category was nursing, which is addressed in the next section.
Spanish Trails Rehabilitation Suites
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Note: Spanish Trails Rehabilitation Suites has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Top Nursing Home in New Mexico Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
Even though we gave this facility a terrible overall grade, we gave it a grade of B- for our nursing rating. In determining our nursing ratings, we look at both nursing hours and the training levels of those nurses. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, while this facility got docked a bit for its nursing hours per resident, it excelled in a few of our quality measures. With less than five percent of its patients sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed well in this statistic.
Short-term Care Quality
Surprisingly, we awarded this facility a B- for its short-term care score, which is not too bad of a score. In crafting these short-term care grades, we look at the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our goal is to create a barometer for comparing the rehabilitation services of different facilities. In this nursing home's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than the average facility. The final statistic we assessed in this category is the percentage of residents that returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 6.3 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Spanish Trails Rehabilitation Suites?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the category of long-term care, this nursing home received a grade of just D in that category. Facilities that do not fare well in this category often don't provide as much nursing care and also may be lagging in some of the areas of routine healthcare services we assessed. On top of considering the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 93.21429 percent of its patients, which is a few points less than we were hoping for. Surprisingly, this place was actually decent at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had just 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This was its best feature in this category.
Turning to our final category of inspections, this facility received a grade that's as bad as it gets. We weight this category more heavily than our other categories. For places that received this bad of an inspection rating, we would scrutinize any severe deficiencies on its inspection report. This particular facility had 2 deficiencies by government inspectors. The only positive thing we can say is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that suggest that they created a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, CMS cited this nursing home for possible abuse or neglect. Hopefully, its performance improves in the future, but until then we simply can't recommend this facility.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Spanish Trails Rehabilitation Suites Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Spanish Trails Rehabilitation Suites, 8.5% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols can reduce the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Spanish Trails Rehabilitation Suites, 3.08% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients who sustained a fall resulting in serious injury. We use this statistic in determining nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Spanish Trails Rehabilitation Suites, 1.47% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Spanish Trails Rehabilitation Suites, 16.78% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Spanish Trails Rehabilitation Suites, 13.49% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are generally prescribed to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Spanish Trails Rehabilitation Suites, 3.19% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Spanish Trails Rehabilitation Suites, 88.36% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Spanish Trails Rehabilitation Suites, 16.72% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Spanish Trails Rehabilitation Suites, 18.98% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who retained mobility levels. Many in the industry believe that the ability to move around is critical to patients mental and physical well-being.
In Spanish Trails Rehabilitation Suites, 1.28 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Spanish Trails Rehabilitation Suites, 18.98 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Spanish Trails Rehabilitation Suites, 15.18 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to measure patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Spanish Trails Rehabilitation Suites, 65.79% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry believe that this is a measure of rehabilitation services.
Scores for Albuquerque, NM
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Albuquerque, New Mexico has 17 other nursing homes
- Lovelace Women's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1 miles away4701 Montgomery Boulevard Ne Albuquerque New Mexico 87109Government - State(505) 727-7805
- Unm HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.51 miles away2211 Lomas Boulevard Ne Albuquerque New Mexico 87106Voluntary non-profit - Other(505) 272-2111
- Lovelace Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.03 miles away601 Dr Martin Luther King Jr Ave Ne Albuquerque New Mexico 87102Voluntary non-profit - Private(505) 727-8000
- Presbyterian HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.11 miles away1100 Central Avenue Se Albuquerque New Mexico 87106Voluntary non-profit - Private(505) 724-8386
- Lovelace Westside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.23 miles away10501 Golf Course Road Nw Albuquerque New Mexico 87114Proprietary(505) 727-2001
- Unm Sandoval Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.38 miles away3001 Broadmoor Blvd Ne Rio Rancho New Mexico 87144Voluntary non-profit - Private(505) 994-7402
- Del Norte Dialysis1.16 miles away5201 San Mateo Blvd Ne Albuquerque New Mexico 87109Dialysis Stations: 17 (505) 884-4820
- North Albuquerque Dialysis Center (Fmc)1.22 miles away5200 San Mateo Blvd Ne Albuquerque New Mexico 87109CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (505) 883-7599
- Albuquerque Dialysis (Dci)3.01 miles away1500 Indian School Rd Ne Albuquerque New Mexico 87102CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (505) 724-1500
- Liberty Albuquerque Dialysis (Fmc)3.4 miles away3810 Commons Ave Ne Albuquerque New Mexico 87109Dialysis Stations: 19 (505) 345-1224
- Fresenius Kidney Care Home Dialysis of New Mexico LLC3.66 miles away700 Lomas Blvd Ne Three Woodward Center Albuquerque New Mexico 87102Dialysis Stations: 3 (505) 842-5210
- Albuquerque East (Dci)4 miles away905 Louisiana Blvd Ne Albuquerque New Mexico 87110CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (505) 254-1800
- Unm Pediatric Dialysis4.49 miles away2211 Lomas Blvd Ne Box 256 Albuquerque New Mexico 87106Dialysis Stations: 4 (505) 925-4387
- Gibson Dialysis Center (Fmc)5.71 miles away5400 Gibson Blvd Se Ssuite 100 Albuquerque New Mexico 87108Dialysis Stations: 25 (505) 255-0111