Southview Acres Health Care Center is a facility located in Saint Paul, Minnesota which has a total of 753,116 people. We awarded it an overall grade of B-, which is a middle of the pack grade. Even in a city offering 14 other nursing homes, this nursing home ought to be a sound option. One of the better aspects of this nursing home's report card is its impressive short-term care rating, which is addressed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Southview Acres Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
2000 Oakdale Avenue,
Saint Paul MN 55118
70.31% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Lymphedema Care
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
We awarded this facility one of our better scores in short-term care, where it received an A-. This is notably better than the nursing home's overall score, which was certainly not elite. In calculating our short-term care scores, we look at a nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This rating is typically a solid assessment of a facility's ability to rehabilitate patients. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last metric we looked at in this area is the number of residents who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We found that 5.4 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
This nursing home also received a strong nursing grade. In fact, we awarded it a grade of B+ in that category, which is one of our better scores. There are quite a few factors included in this area. Many of the datapoints are tied to levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility Minnesota in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as employing a system of turning a resident at least once a day.
Does this page answer your questions about Southview Acres Health Care Center?
We also found that this nursing home has received favorable government inspections in recent years. In fact, we awarded it a B- in this category. This is better than many facilities in this category. Inspection scores are based on several datapoints found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are a key item to look for on these reports. Severe deficiencies indicate a risk to resident safety. This facility received 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered to be major deficiencies. This indicates that the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies to pose an imminent threat to resident health or safety. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor leaves us less concerned with this inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we rated was long-term care. Sadly, it received a lowly F in this area, which is a poor score. This is clearly a major concern. Long-term care grades in this range generally are a bad sign for the quantity and quality of care provided by nurses and aids, as well as the levels of routine medical care available. In addition to assessing the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 75.41322 percent of its patients. This is pretty significantly below what we were hoping for. To our surprise, this place was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility has fewer hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. This was its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Southview Acres Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Southview Acres Health Care Center, 6.14% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage resulting from staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Southview Acres Health Care Center, 3.86% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term stay patients which sustained falls which caused severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Southview Acres Health Care Center, 2.89% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients which suffered from urinary tract infections. While more infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it can be problematic to compare between facilities due to nursing homes having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Southview Acres Health Care Center, 15.26% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are given to residents for a variety of conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Unfortunately, in limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Southview Acres Health Care Center, 11.96% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are used to treat residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Southview Acres Health Care Center, 4.16% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Southview Acres Health Care Center, 94.15% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Southview Acres Health Care Center, 13.41% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Southview Acres Health Care Center, 15.86% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term stay residents who remained mobile levels. Many in the industry argue that mobility is important for patients well-being.
In Southview Acres Health Care Center, 1.28 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is generally a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Southview Acres Health Care Center, 15.86 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Southview Acres Health Care Center, 14.49 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Southview Acres Health Care Center, 77.42% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of independence with ADL's typically correlates with successful rehabilitation.
Scores for Saint Paul, MN
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Saint Paul, Minnesota has 13 other nursing homes
- United HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.31 miles away333 North Smith Avenue Saint Paul Minnesota 55102Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 241-8810
- Regions HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.99 miles away640 Jackson Street Saint Paul Minnesota 55101Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 254-1616
- University of Minnesota Medical Center, FairviewAcute Care Hospitals 9.92 miles away2450 Riverside Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55454Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 273-3000
- Healtheast St John's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.02 miles away1575 Beam Avenue Saint Paul Minnesota 55109Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 232-7000
- Abbott Northwestern HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.44 miles away800 East 28th Street Minneapolis Minnesota 55407Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 863-4457
- Children's Hospitals & Clinics of MnChildrens 10.59 miles away2525 Chicago Avenue South Minneapolis Minnesota 55404Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 813-6112
- Hennepin County Medical Center 1Acute Care Hospitals 11.17 miles away701 Park Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55415Government - Local(612) 873-3629
- Fairview Southdale HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.64 miles away6401 France Avenue South Minneapolis Minnesota 55435Voluntary non-profit - Private(952) 924-5100
- Fmc - West St Paul Dialysis1.01 miles away1590 S Robert St Ste 130 Saint Paul Minnesota 55118Dialysis Stations: 13 (651) 457-2232
- West St Paul Dialysis of Davita1.14 miles away1555 Livingston Ave Saint Paul Minnesota 55118CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (651) 455-2995
- Highland Park Dialysis of Davita4.15 miles away1559 7th St W Saint Paul Minnesota 55102Dialysis Stations: 12 (651) 222-7139
- Eagan Dialysis of Davita4.75 miles away2750 Blue Water Rd, Suite 300 Saint Paul Minnesota 55121Dialysis Stations: 16 (651) 688-0132
- Fmc Dialysis Services of St Paul5.02 miles away445 Etna Street Suite 60 Saint Paul Minnesota 55106Dialysis Stations: 20 (651) 251-3847
- Sun Ray Dialysis of Davita5.08 miles away1744 Old Hudson Road Saint Paul Minnesota 55106CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (651) 793-5191
- Davita Phalen Dialysis5.19 miles away863 Arcade St Saint Paul Minnesota 55106Dialysis Stations: 12 (651) 776-0466
- St Paul Dialysis of Davita5.3 miles away555 Park St, Suite 180 Saint Paul Minnesota 55103CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (651) 291-8855