Southside Care Center is a very-small facility in Minneapolis, Minnesota. This nursing home received an overall grade of B-, which is a middle of the road score. While there's nothing wrong with a B-, it is worth noting that Minneapolis received a city grade of B+ so there are plenty of good options here. The best part of this facility's profile was is its short-term care rating. We discuss short-term care in the next section.
Southside Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's best category grade came in the category of short-term care. In that category, we awarded this facility a B+. Short-term care ratings are crucial for residents needing rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically utilizes higher levels of highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes a broad range of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. It does not look like this facility provided data regarding its registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. Finally, we assessed the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Inspections is another area where this nursing home excelled. We awarded this facility an B+ for our inspections category. This is far more impressive than its overall grade. Perhaps the most significant factor we look at in calculating our inspection scores is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes with higher grades in this category typically dodged the most severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. While this facility had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were serious based on CMS' scale. A couple minor deficiencies are not something to panic about.
Does this page answer your questions about Southside Care Center?
In addition, we awarded this nursing home a grade of B in our nursing category. This is one of our better grades. Our nursing rating focuses on the facility's nurse staffing levels. We weigh both the levels of skill of those nurses as well as the amount of time spent with residents. This nursing home provides 0 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as employing a policy of turning patients more frequently.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we assessed is long-term care. We awarded this facility a grade of D for our long-term care category, leaving this as its least impressive grade. In a long-term care environment, the primary objective is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. In addition to considering the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents. Surprisingly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility has fewer hospitalizations than the average nursing home. Sadly, some of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Southside Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Southside Care Center, 4.21% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a fall leading to severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Southside Care Center, 2.83% of Patients had UTIs
This figure tells you the percent of long-term residents which suffered from UTI's. UTI's may be a sign of a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this datapoint may also be misleading for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Southside Care Center, 12.33% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term stay patients which were given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are prescribed to patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Southside Care Center, 4.58% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. Many argue that this is a reasonable measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Southside Care Center, 93.31% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Southside Care Center, 13.09% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Southside Care Center, 18.07 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Scores for Minneapolis, MN
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Minneapolis, Minnesota has 51 other nursing homes
- Children's Hospitals & Clinics of MnChildrens 1.31 miles away2525 Chicago Avenue South Minneapolis Minnesota 55404Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 813-6112
- Abbott Northwestern HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.33 miles away800 East 28th Street Minneapolis Minnesota 55407Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 863-4457
- Hennepin County Medical Center 1Acute Care Hospitals 1.83 miles away701 Park Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55415Government - Local(612) 873-3629
- University of Minnesota Medical Center, FairviewAcute Care Hospitals 2.64 miles away2450 Riverside Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55454Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 273-3000
- Park Nicollet Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.03 miles away6500 Excelsior Blvd Minneapolis Minnesota 55426Voluntary non-profit - Private(952) 993-5000
- North Memorial HealthAcute Care Hospitals 4.43 miles away3300 Oakdale North Minneapolis Minnesota 55422Voluntary non-profit - Private(763) 520-5200
- Fairview Southdale HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.08 miles away6401 France Avenue South Minneapolis Minnesota 55435Voluntary non-profit - Private(952) 924-5100
- United HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.89 miles away333 North Smith Avenue Saint Paul Minnesota 55102Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 241-8810
- Davita - Uptown1.16 miles away3601 Lyndale Avenue South Minneapolis Minnesota 55409Dialysis Stations: 12 (612) 825-4583
- Bio-Medical Applications of Minnesota, Inc.1.18 miles away2637 Park Ave S Minneapolis Minnesota 55407Dialysis Stations: 14 (612) 872-1946
- Minneapolis Dialysis of Davita1.42 miles away825 S 8th St, sl42 Minneapolis Minnesota 55404CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (612) 347-5972
- Home Dialysis of Davita - Pd Unit1.78 miles away825 S 8th St Suite 1202, Pd Unit Minneapolis Minnesota 55404Dialysis Stations: 6 (612) 347-4458
- Fmc Dialysis - South Minneapolis2.12 miles away4310 Nicollet Ave Minneapolis Minnesota 55409Dialysis Stations: 12 (612) 822-4411
- U of Mn Med Ctr, Fairview - Dialysis2.69 miles away2450 Riverside Ave Kidney Center South Bldg Minneapolis Minnesota 55454Dialysis Stations: 11 (612) 365-3756
- Fresenius - St Louis Park Dialysis3.46 miles away5680 36th St W Minneapolis Minnesota 55416Dialysis Stations: 12 (952) 926-0959
- Minneapolis Ne Dialysis of Davita3.56 miles away1049 10th Ave Se Minneapolis Minnesota 55414Dialysis Stations: 12 (612) 331-6088