Southern Oaks Care Center is a very-large nursing home located in Pensacola, Florida. This nursing home received an overall grade of B, which is a good grade. This facility definitely has plenty of good features. This facility's strong profile was highlighted by its inspection grade, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Southern Oaks Care Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
600 W Gregory St,
Pensacola FL 32502
90.23% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
On top of earning a great overall score, this facility performed even better in our inspections category which is associated with the facility's recent government inspection reports. In fact, we awarded it an A+ for this area, which is one of our best grades. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in determining our inspection scores. One of those factors is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies are quite minor. Although this facility had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were serious based on CMS' scale. We should point out that deficiency-free inspection reports are uncommon in the industry.
Long-term Care Quality
Additionally, this nursing home also was awarded favorable long-term care grades this year. Indeed, we gave it one of our better scores in that area, with a score of B. Facilities that excel in long-term care tend to be well-staffed and offer extensive hands on care to residents. On top of assessing the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 99.85294 percent of its patients. Vaccines are vital to keeping residents out of the hospital. This facility also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had just 1.19 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a much lower hospitalization rate than the average nursing home.
Does this page answer your questions about Southern Oaks Care Center?
Another strong feature for this facility is that it received an impressive nursing grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of B. Nursing scores are based in large part on quality and quantity of nursing care. With 3.9 hours of nursing care per resident per day, this nursing home surpassed the national average. Lastly, this place also performed well in several of the quality-based metrics we assessed. In terms of the number of its patients sustaining falls which lead to serious injury, this facility performed as well as any nursing home in Florida.
Short-term Care Quality
The last area we analyzed is short-term care. In that category, we awarded this nursing home a grade of C. In computing these short-term care ratings, we quantify the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our goal is to create a tool for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various facilities. Fortunately, this nursing home offers both physical therapists and registered nurses. Not all facilities offer both. The final item we considered in this area is the number of residents who ultimately were able to return home from the facility. We found that just 33.6 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home. Unfortunately, this was below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Southern Oaks Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Southern Oaks Care Center, 9.04% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This measures the percent of long-term patients who suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a solid indicator of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Southern Oaks Care Center, 2.8% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . Major falls resulting in injury are often the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Southern Oaks Care Center, 1.81% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are often associated with a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint can also be skewed for some facilities due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Southern Oaks Care Center, 11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are administered to residents for a variety of medical conditions, such as dementia. Unfortunately, in some cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Southern Oaks Care Center, 21.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term stay residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Southern Oaks Care Center, 2.43% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who are showing depressive symptoms. High rates of depression may imply a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Southern Oaks Care Center, 95.03% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Southern Oaks Care Center, 13.16% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Southern Oaks Care Center, 18.15% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients that were able to retain mobility. Some experts would argue that the ability to move around is vital to residents' mental and physical health.
In Southern Oaks Care Center, 1.59 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is key to maintaining the physical health of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Southern Oaks Care Center, 18.15 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Southern Oaks Care Center, 9.19 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Southern Oaks Care Center, 77.65% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Pensacola, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Pensacola, Florida has 11 other nursing homes
- Baptist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.09 miles away1000 W Moreno St Pensacola Florida 32501Voluntary non-profit - Private(850) 434-4011
- Ascension Sacred Heart PensacolaAcute Care Hospitals 4.34 miles away5151 N 9th Ave Pensacola Florida 32504Voluntary non-profit - Private(850) 416-7000
- Gulf Breeze HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.51 miles away1110 Gulf Breeze Pkwy Gulf Breeze Florida 32561Voluntary non-profit - Other(850) 934-2000
- West Florida HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.98 miles away8383 N Davis Hwy Pensacola Florida 32514Proprietary(850) 494-4000
- Santa Rosa Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.88 miles away6002 Berryhill Rd Milton Florida 32570Proprietary(850) 626-7762
- Downtown Pensacola Dialysis1.16 miles away700 E Cervantes St #A Pensacola Florida 32501CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (850) 433-1534
- Fmc - Pensacola1.16 miles away1305 W Moreno St Pensacola Florida 32501CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (850) 434-1176
- West Pensacola Dialysis Center3.51 miles away598 Fairfield Drive Pensacola Florida 32506CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (850) 453-6066
- Rcg - Sacred Heart - Ped Dialysis4.38 miles away5151 N 9th Ave Pensacola Florida 32504Dialysis Stations: 7 (850) 416-7426
- Rcg - Sacred Heart - Adult Dialysis4.63 miles away5401 Corporate Woods Dr Ste 850 Pensacola Florida 32504CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (850) 484-8646
- Fresenius Kidney Care Central Pensacola5.14 miles away5476 Mobile Highway Pensacola Florida 32526Dialysis Stations: 16 (850) 944-8997
- Fmc - West Pensacola6.07 miles away2940 N. Blue Angel Parkway Pensacola Florida 32506CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (850) 453-3658
- West Florida Dialysis6.95 miles away8333 North Davis Highway Pensacola Florida 32514CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (850) 474-8424