Southeast Nursing & Rehabilitation Center is an average-sized facility in San Antonio, Texas. This nursing home received an overall grade of D in our grading scheme. Unfortunately, this grade isn't too far off the city grade for San Antonio, which is a C. Nevertheless, you still ought to be able to find a better option Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's report card is its strong nursing grade. You can scroll down to find out about nursing and other category grades
Southeast Nursing & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
4302 E Southcross Blvd,
San Antonio TX 78222
63.96% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
While we did not rate this facility favorably overall, we want to point out its relatively favorable nursing rating this year. We gave it a B in this area, which was much better than its overall grade. Our nursing score considers several datapoints. The most important one is the amount of time nurses spend with residents. This particular nursing home provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as employing a system of turning patients more frequently.
Short-term Care Quality
We also awarded this nursing home a decent grade in the category of short-term care, where it received a C. Our short-term care scores are vital for prospective residents seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually mandates higher levels of highly-skilled nursing services. This includes a wide spectrum of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Unfortunately, this facility was below average in terms of its quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its residents based on the metrics we assessed. The important question is whether this also affected quality of care. The final datapoint we looked at in this area is the number of residents who were able to return home from the facility. We found that just 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home. This figure was below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Southeast Nursing & Rehabilitation Center?
Long-term Care Quality
The next highest area we gave this nursing home in any area came in the area of long-term care, where we awarded it a grade of C. Long-term care grades assess a facility's personal care rather than the skilled nursing and medical services that are critical to a rehabilitation facility. Once we assessed the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is higher than the majority of nursing homes. This nursing home was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
The last category we assessed is inspections. The facility received a grade of C in this category. We believe that one of the most important factors in assessing an inspection report is deficiencies. In this regard, we especially look at the severity of those deficiencies. This place was hit with 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were in categories G through L. This means that this facility dodged the more ominous categories of deficiencies. Unfortunately, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received significant government fines in recent years.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Southeast Nursing & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Southeast Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who suffered from pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a reliable measure of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Southeast Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 3.33% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a fall leading to severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Southeast Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 1.51% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often caused by lower quality nursing care. However, this datapoint can also be skewed for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Southeast Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 11.48% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Southeast Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 22.56% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Southeast Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 4.81% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients demonstrating signs of depression. Higher rates of depression could imply worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Southeast Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 94.64% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Southeast Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 17.1% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and taking a bath. Many argue that this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Southeast Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 16.36% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term patients who maintained mobility.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Southeast Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 16.36 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Southeast Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 66.86% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry believe that this is a reasonable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for San Antonio, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? San Antonio, Texas has 61 other nursing homes
- Brooke Army Medical Center (Ft Sam Houston)Acute Care - Department of Defense 5.87 miles away3551 Roger Brooke Drive San Antonio Texas 78234Department of Defense(210) 916-4141
- Nix Health Care SystemAcute Care Hospitals 5.94 miles away414 Navarro, Suite 600 San Antonio Texas 78205Proprietary(210) 271-2188
- Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.39 miles away111 Dallas Street San Antonio Texas 78205Proprietary(210) 297-8256
- Children's Hospital of San AntonioChildrens 6.43 miles away333 N Santa Rosa St San Antonio Texas 78207Voluntary non-profit - Private(210) 704-3342
- Southwest General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.43 miles away7400 Barlite Blvd San Antonio Texas 78224Physician(210) 921-2000
- Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.37 miles away7700 Floyd Curl Dr San Antonio Texas 78229Proprietary(210) 575-4000
- University Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 13.68 miles away4502 Medical Dr San Antonio Texas 78229Government - Hospital District or Authority(210) 358-2637
- Christus Santa Rosa Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.49 miles away2827 Babcock Road San Antonio Texas 78229Voluntary non-profit - Church(210) 704-3342
- Southcross Dialysis Center0.45 miles away4602 E. Southcross Blvd San Antonio Texas 78222Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 648-5988
- Bma Southeast San Antonio0.55 miles away4626 E Southcross Blvd San Antonio Texas 78222CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 52 (210) 648-2323
- Dsi Southeast San Antonio, LLC2.8 miles away2635 Se Military Dr San Antonio Texas 78223Dialysis Stations: 17 (210) 202-3022
- University Dialysis Southeast2.88 miles away1407 Fair Avenue San Antonio Texas 78223Dialysis Stations: 16 (210) 358-5780
- Kidney Treatment Center East3.66 miles away1608 South New Braunfels San Antonio Texas 78210Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 531-9693
- Southside Kidney Disease Clinic4.25 miles away1335 Se Military Dr San Antonio Texas 78214CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (210) 923-5475
- South San Antonio Dialysis Center4.31 miles away1313 Se Military Dr Suite 111 San Antonio Texas 78214CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 932-2434
- Us Renal Care Houston Street Dialysis4.8 miles away2011 E. Houston, Suite 102d San Antonio Texas 78202CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (210) 225-0004