South Suburban Rehab Center is a senior living facility located in Homewood, Illinois, a city with 20,094 people. Our grading system was not kind to this nursing home, as we gave it an overall rating of F. Based on our analysis, this facility is not a fit for anyone. We would not blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this facility's category grades, we will discuss inspections in the next section.
South Suburban Rehab Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
19000 South Halsted,
Homewood IL 60430
57.22% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
This facility's scores are horrible across the board. In particular, we wanted to point out its inspection grade where we gave it an F. This isn't a good sign for its government inspection reports. When a facility has this poor of an inspection score, you should expect some severe deficiencies on its inspection report. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to resident safety. This facility was hit with 4 deficiencies by government inspectors. The only favorable thing we found is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that indicate they created a threat to resident safety or health. Lastly, we also would like to draw your attention to the fact that this place was assessed significant government fines in recent years of more than $100,000. This usually suggests that a facility's bad track record has been an issue for several years.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home ended up receiving a a very poor grade in our long-term care area. It was given an F in this category. For long-term care residents, the facility's primary goal is to maintain residents' quality of life and keep them safe. One of the datapoints we considered after nurse's aid hours is vaccines. Thankfully, this facility administered the pneumonia vaccination to 95.637 percent of its residents. Unfortunately, this nursing home's hospitalization rate was far less impressive. We found that this nursing home had 2.32 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a concerning rate.
Does this page answer your questions about South Suburban Rehab Center?
We also wanted to point out that this nursing home received an F for its nursing grade. Our nursing score is primarily associated with the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. With a meager 2 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis, this nursing home's nurse staffing levels were well below the national average. Unfortunately, this nursing home also had terrible marks in some of the quality-based measures to go along with its low nursing hour totals. We looked at the percentage of residents experiencing pressure ulcers and we were quite disappointed. This place was at roughly 150 percent of the national average in this metric.
Short-term Care Quality
The final category we looked at is short-term care. It received a lowly F in this area, which is an abysmal grade. Short-term care scores are based in part on the facility's quantity of highly-skilled highly skilled professionals. This means a wide spectrum of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, in addition to other forms of therapy. With a grade in this range for this area, we weren't shocked to discover that this nursing home was well below average in several staffing areas we assess. The facility supplied substantially fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than most nursing homes. Finally, we looked at the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that just 40.5 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
South Suburban Rehab Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In South Suburban Rehab Center, 8.96% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In South Suburban Rehab Center, 3.48% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are often linked to lower levels of patient supervision. Closer supervision can minimize the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In South Suburban Rehab Center, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often linked to a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this statistic could be misleading for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In South Suburban Rehab Center, 18.2% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure measures the percentage of long-term care patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may mean that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically indicated. However, some facilities may need to rely on these medications due to having more patients suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In South Suburban Rehab Center, 19.06% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In South Suburban Rehab Center, 29.52% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who are showing symptoms of depression. High rates of depression may be a sign a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In South Suburban Rehab Center, 87.71% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In South Suburban Rehab Center, 14.14% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and using the bathroom. Some believe that this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In South Suburban Rehab Center, 19.35% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who retained mobility levels.
In South Suburban Rehab Center, 1.5 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is critical to maintaining the physical health of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In South Suburban Rehab Center, 19.35 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In South Suburban Rehab Center, 11.42 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In South Suburban Rehab Center, 71.34% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with ADL's usually correlates with successful rehabilitation services.
- Advocate South Suburban HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.42 miles away17800 S Kedzie Ave Hazel Crest Illinois 60429Voluntary non-profit - Church(708) 799-8000
- Ingalls Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.52 miles away1 Ingalls Drive Harvey Illinois 60426Voluntary non-profit - Private(708) 333-2300
- Franciscan Health MunsterAcute Care Hospitals 6.4 miles away701 Superior Ave Munster Indiana 46321Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 922-4200
- Franciscan Health DyerAcute Care Hospitals 6.68 miles away24 Joliet St Dyer Indiana 46311Voluntary non-profit - Church(219) 865-2141
- Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.73 miles away901 Macarthur Blvd Munster Indiana 46321Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 836-1600
- Franciscan Health HammondAcute Care Hospitals 7.69 miles away5454 Hohman Ave Hammond Indiana 46320Voluntary non-profit - Church(219) 932-2300
- Roseland Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.35 miles away45 W 111th Street Chicago Illinois 60628Voluntary non-profit - Other(773) 995-3000
- St Catherine Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 11.56 miles away4321 Fir St East Chicago Indiana 46312Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 392-7004
- Davita - Chicago Heights Dialysis1.71 miles away177 B West Joe Orr Rd Chicago Heights Illinois 60411CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (708) 755-9000
- Fkc - Chicago Heights3.05 miles away15 E Independence Drive Chicago Heights Illinois 60411Dialysis Stations: 12 (708) 754-5898
- Home Dialysis Services Olympia Fields LLC3.23 miles away3214 Vollmer Rd Olympia Fields Illinois 60461Dialysis Stations: 1 (708) 898-0564
- Davita - Flossmoor Home3.26 miles away19720 S Governors Hwy Flossmoor Illinois 60422Dialysis Stations: 4 (708) 799-7239
- Dcc - Olympia Fields3.35 miles away3322 Vollmer Rd. Suite C Olympia Fields Illinois 60461Dialysis Stations: 11 (708) 964-2250
- Davita - Hazelcrest3.4 miles away3470 W 183rd St Hazel Crest Illinois 60429CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (708) 799-3101
- Fmc - South Suburban3.45 miles away2609 W Lincoln Hwy Olympia Fields Illinois 60461CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (708) 747-0050
- Fresenius Medical Care Chicagoland, LLC3.59 miles away17524 Carriage Way Hazel Crest Illinois 60429Dialysis Stations: 16 (708) 798-2899