South Shore Rehabilitation and Nursing Center is an average-sized nursing home located in Freeport, New York. Sporting an overall grade of D, this is a well below average facility. If you are not happy with this facility's poor overall grade, you may find your options to be limited in Freeport. The city has just one other nursing home. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this facility's report card is its impressive inspection score. You can scroll down to find out about inspections and other category scores
South Shore Rehabilitation and Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Although we didn't grade this facility favorably overall, we did give it an excellent grade in the category of inspections, where it received an A. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing our inspection ratings. One key factor is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these end up being quite insignificant. Fortunately, although this place had a few minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G through L. This tells you the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is always a good sign.
Long-term Care Quality
We also awarded this nursing home a respectable grade in the area of long-term care, where we awarded it a grade of B-. In computing our long-term care scores, we scrutinize the personal care offered to the facility's patients. In addition to assessing the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 96.59091 percent of its patients. This facility keeps its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about South Shore Rehabilitation and Nursing Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's second lowest score was short-term care, where it received a grade of just D in that area. This is a relatively poor score. With our short-term care grade, we seek to forge a sound barometer for rehabilitation. In this process, we assess the nursing home's offerings of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. As you might expect, we found that this nursing home provides substantially less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than the average nursing home. The last statistic we looked at in this category is the percentage of residents who returned home from the facility. This facility struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 4.8 percent of its residents returning home.
The next area we rated is nursing, where this facility was given a poor score here as well. It received a lowly F in this category, which is definitely a major concern. Our nursing rating weighs a variety of data points. The most heavily weighted factor is the amount of time nurses spend with residents. This place provided a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This is an alarmingly low total. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This place fared well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these statistics to be measures of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
South Shore Rehabilitation and Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In South Shore Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often caused by patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care minimizes the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In South Shore Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are often linked to lower quality nursing care. Additional nurse staffing reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In South Shore Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This measures the percentage of long-term residents that suffered from urinary tract infections. Although more infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it can be difficult to compare between facilities due to nursing homes having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In South Shore Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of long-term patients who were given antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior in scenarios where such drugs are not medically required. However, some nursing homes may need to rely on these medications due to having more residents suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In South Shore Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This measures the percent of long-term residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In South Shore Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 13.2% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. Many argue that this is a reasonable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In South Shore Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 91.26% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In South Shore Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In South Shore Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who remained mobile levels.
In South Shore Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In South Shore Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In South Shore Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to gauge short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In South Shore Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with ADL's generally correlates with higher quality rehabilitation.
- Mercy Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.26 miles away1000 North Village Avenue Rockville Centre New York 11570Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 705-2525
- Nassau University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.49 miles away2201 Hempstead Turnpike East Meadow New York 11554Government - Local(516) 572-0123
- Nyu Winthrop HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.74 miles away259 First Street Mineola New York 11501Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 663-0333
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.87 miles away4295 Hempstead Turnpike Bethpage New York 11714Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 579-6000
- St John's Episcopal Hospital at South ShoreAcute Care Hospitals 9.21 miles away327 Beach 19th Street Far Rockaway New York 11691Voluntary non-profit - Church(718) 869-7000
- Creedmoor Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 9.44 miles away80-45 Winchester Blvd Bldg B Queens Village New York 11427Government - State(718) 264-4000
- Plainview HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.47 miles away888 Old Country Road Plainview New York 11803Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 719-3000
- North Shore University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.48 miles away300 Community Drive Manhasset New York 11030Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 562-0100
- Main Street Dialysis Center, LLC0.56 miles away3 North Main Street Freeport New York 11520Dialysis Stations: 24 (516) 771-7112
- Davita Freeport Kidney Center0.9 miles away351 South Main Street Freeport New York 11520CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (516) 623-1786
- S. Nassau Communities Hosp.2.02 miles away1 Healthy Way Dialysis - Acute Unit Oceanside New York 11572Dialysis Stations: 3 (516) 632-3944
- South Nassau Outpatient Dialysis Center2.98 miles away3618 Oceanside Road Oceanside New York 11572CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (516) 255-8000
- Nassau University Medical Center3.36 miles awayA. Holly Paterson Extended Care Facility 875 Jerusalem Avenue Uniondale New York 11553CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (516) 572-1800
- Fresenius Kidney Care Bellmore3.42 miles away250 Pettit Avenue Bellmore New York 11710CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (516) 679-3090
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Hempstead3.66 miles away615 Peninsula Boulevard Hempstead New York 11550CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (516) 483-6702
- Davita Lynbrook Dialysis Center4.82 miles away147 Scranton Avenue Lynbrook New York 11563CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (516) 596-4101