With an address in Oceanside, New York, South Nassau Communities Hospital T C U is one of only two available facilities in the city. Sporting an overall score of A+, this facility is ranked among the best facilities we looked at. In addition, this facility is based in a hospital, which often means the facility offers more extensive healthcare services. Scroll down to find this nursing home's category scores, which also impressed us. You just can't do much better than a straight A report card.
South Nassau Communities Hospital T C U
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Recreational Therapy
Best Nursing Home in New York Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Oceanside, New York Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in New York Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Oceanside, New York Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in New York Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in Oceanside, New York Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this place ended up being a great nursing home is that it received an A+ in our inspections category. This is just about as good as it gets in this very important area. Inspection grades weigh a host of factors found on a facility's inspection reports. One key criteria we weigh heavily is the number and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with higher scores in this area tend to have very few severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
This high end nursing home also was superb in the area of short-term care, where we awarded it a grade of A+. Very few nursing homes fared better in this category. Our short-term care grade is commonly employed to assess a facility's rehabilitation services. In order to provide quality rehabilitation services, facilities generally must feature better levels of highly skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other licensed professionals. We were pleased to find that this nursing home employs both registered nurses and physical therapists. The same can't be said for all nursing homes. The last datapoint we looked at in this area is the percentage of patients who returned home from the facility. We found that 7.1 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about South Nassau Communities Hospital T C U?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also was given a impressive long-term care grade. This actually turned out to be its third best category grade. In that category, we gave this facility a grade of A. For prospective patients in need of a permanent place to live rather than rehabilitation, long-term care is an important category. In addition to considering the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. We weren't able to locate information about this nursing home's vaccination rates. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
In our final category, this facility also was awarded an impressive nursing grade, with an A. This finished off a first-rate profile. Our nursing score is mostly tied to the facility's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can frequently be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
South Nassau Communities Hospital T C U Quality Metrics
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In South Nassau Communities Hospital T C U, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In South Nassau Communities Hospital T C U, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Mercy Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.51 miles away1000 North Village Avenue Rockville Centre New York 11570Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 705-2525
- Nyu Winthrop HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.26 miles away259 First Street Mineola New York 11501Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 663-0333
- Nassau University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.52 miles away2201 Hempstead Turnpike East Meadow New York 11554Government - Local(516) 572-0123
- St John's Episcopal Hospital at South ShoreAcute Care Hospitals 7.41 miles away327 Beach 19th Street Far Rockaway New York 11691Voluntary non-profit - Church(718) 869-7000
- Creedmoor Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 8 miles away80-45 Winchester Blvd Bldg B Queens Village New York 11427Government - State(718) 264-4000
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.49 miles away4295 Hempstead Turnpike Bethpage New York 11714Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 579-6000
- North Shore University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.56 miles away300 Community Drive Manhasset New York 11030Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 562-0100
- Queens Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.94 miles away82-68 164th Street Jamaica New York 11432Government - Local(718) 883-3000
- S. Nassau Communities Hosp.0.03 miles away1 Healthy Way Dialysis - Acute Unit Oceanside New York 11572Dialysis Stations: 3 (516) 632-3944
- South Nassau Outpatient Dialysis Center2.04 miles away3618 Oceanside Road Oceanside New York 11572CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (516) 255-8000
- Main Street Dialysis Center, LLC2.46 miles away3 North Main Street Freeport New York 11520Dialysis Stations: 24 (516) 771-7112
- Davita Lynbrook Dialysis Center2.81 miles away147 Scranton Avenue Lynbrook New York 11563CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (516) 596-4101
- Davita Freeport Kidney Center2.88 miles away351 South Main Street Freeport New York 11520CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (516) 623-1786
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Hempstead3.14 miles away615 Peninsula Boulevard Hempstead New York 11550CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (516) 483-6702
- West Nassau Dialysis Ctr, Inc3.79 miles away75 Rockaway Avenue Valley Stream New York 11580CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (516) 823-4444
- Nassau University Medical Center3.93 miles awayA. Holly Paterson Extended Care Facility 875 Jerusalem Avenue Uniondale New York 11553CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (516) 572-1800