South Mountain Restoration Center is the sole option we found in South Mountain, Pennsylvania. With an overall score of A+, this nursing home is one of the top facilities we found. Based on our analysis, this nursing home is really as good as it gets. As you will find below, this place performed just as well in our category grades. We gave it a straight A report card!
South Mountain Restoration Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Top Nursing Home in Pennsylvania Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
In addition to receiving a great overall grade, this nursing home received an A+ in the area of long-term care. When facilities receive a score in this range in this category it typically means it has plenty of staff and is an overall good place to reside on a permanent basis. After considering the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping residents healthy. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
One of the other reasons we rated this facility so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing score. Nursing turned out to be its second best category grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of A+. There are numerous factors included in this grade. Most of these criteria reflect the quantity of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about South Mountain Restoration Center?
Amazingly, we also awarded this nursing home yet another A+ in the area of inspections. Arguably the most important factor we look at in determining our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities with higher scores in this category typically dodged the most severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. This nursing home was hit with 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe deficiencies. This means that CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies to cause an immediate risk to resident health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
In the last category, this nursing home also was given an impressive short-term care grade, with a grade of A. This wrapped up a very strong report card. In computing these short-term care ratings, we quantify the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The purpose is to create a scale for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final datapoint we looked at in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to return home from the facility. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
South Mountain Restoration Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In South Mountain Restoration Center, 7.59% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In South Mountain Restoration Center, 3.37% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are often caused by poor nursing care. Better nursing protocols minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In South Mountain Restoration Center, 1.9% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections could be associated with inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In South Mountain Restoration Center, 15.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many patients, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In South Mountain Restoration Center, 19.74% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents given antianxiety medications. These drugs are generally used to treat patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In South Mountain Restoration Center, 3.12% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In South Mountain Restoration Center, 88.22% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In South Mountain Restoration Center, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of the decline of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In South Mountain Restoration Center, 21.64% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In South Mountain Restoration Center, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In South Mountain Restoration Center, 21.64 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
- Waynesboro HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.2 miles away501 East Main St Waynesboro Pennsylvania 17268Voluntary non-profit - Private(717) 765-4000
- Chambersburg HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.37 miles away112 North Seventh Street Chambersburg Pennsylvania 17201Voluntary non-profit - Private(717) 267-3000
- Gettysburg HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.43 miles away147 Gettys Street Gettysburg Pennsylvania 17325Voluntary non-profit - Other(717) 334-2121
- Meritus Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.97 miles away11116 Medical Campus Road Hagerstown Maryland 21742Voluntary non-profit - Private(240) 313-9500
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Waynesboro8.01 miles away27 Vista Avenue Waynesboro Pennsylvania 17268CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (717) 765-8880
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Chambersburg11.28 miles away22 St. Paul Drive, Suite 104 Chambersburg Pennsylvania 17201CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (717) 263-8505
- Dialysis Care Center - Chambersburg LLC11.5 miles away20 Parkwood Drive, Suite 1 Chambersburg Pennsylvania 17201Dialysis Stations: 14 (717) 401-2060
- u.s. Renal Care - Chambersburg12.06 miles awayPark Fifth Avenue, Professional Center 765 Fifth Avenue, Suite A Chambersburg Pennsylvania 17201CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (717) 263-9300
- Davita Heritage Lake Dialysis14.94 miles away20 Expedition Trl, Suite 202 Gettysburg Pennsylvania 17325Dialysis Stations: 9 (717) 337-1012
- Fmc - Hagerstown17.13 miles away12931 Oak Hill Ave Hagerstown Maryland 21742CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (301) 797-2311
- Eastern Boulevard Dialysis18.45 miles away246 Eastern Blvd N Ste 105 Hagerstown Maryland 21740Dialysis Stations: 22 (301) 745-4251
- Fmc - Robinwood19.05 miles away11110 Medical Campus Rd Ste 149 Hagerstown Maryland 21742Dialysis Stations: 13 (240) 313-9620