South Mountain Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center is the lone facility located in Vauxhall, New Jersey. This facility received an A- overall, which is very favorable rating. We really can not say enough great things about this facility. We also gave this nursing home strong ratings in all four of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
South Mountain Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to receiving a great overall score, this facility received an A+ inspection grade. This is based on its recent inspection reports. An A+ in this area is one of the highest complements we can offer a nursing home. Inspection ratings account for a host of factors found on a facility's inspection reports. One key criteria we weigh heavily is the number and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with higher scores in this area tend to have few severe deficiencies. Although this nursing home had some deficiencies on its report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
Compounding its high-end accomplishments in other areas, we gave this nursing home a score of A for our short-term care rating. Our short-term care grade is typically used to gauge a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation. In order to have highly rated rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally must have higher levels of skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other highly skilled individuals. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last item we assessed in this category is the number of patients that ultimately were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that 6.7 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about South Mountain Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center?
Long-term Care Quality
We also wanted to alert you to the fact that this facility was given an impressive score of A- in our long-term care category. Long-term care scores of this caliber generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. After considering the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 98.68421 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients out of the hospital. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
The next category we assessed ended up being this facility's weakest category. Nevertheless, even its worst category would be a highlight for most facilities. In fact, we gave it an above average grade of B in our nursing category. The nursing rating consists of quite a few components, but the main consideration is the number of nurse hours per patient per week. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
South Mountain Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In South Mountain Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 9.57% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In South Mountain Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 2.57% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a fall resulting in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In South Mountain Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 1.73% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term residents who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's could be an indication of worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint may also be skewed for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In South Mountain Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 10.75% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many patients, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In South Mountain Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 17.5% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are commonly used to treat patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In South Mountain Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 5.81% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who are showing depressive symptoms. Increased rates of depression may reveal worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In South Mountain Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 92% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In South Mountain Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 10.99% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of erosion of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In South Mountain Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 14.79% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In South Mountain Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In South Mountain Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 14.79 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In South Mountain Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 8.17 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In South Mountain Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, 80.57% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements.
- Saint Barnabas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.3 miles away94 Old Short Hills Road Livingston New Jersey 07039Voluntary non-profit - Other(973) 322-5000
- Overlook Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.45 miles away99 Beauvoir Avenue Summit New Jersey 07902Voluntary non-profit - Other(908) 522-2000
- Newark Beth Israel Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.88 miles away201 Lyons Ave Newark New Jersey 07112Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 926-7850
- East Orange General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.65 miles away300 Central Ave East Orange New Jersey 07018Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 266-4401
- University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.26 miles away150 Bergen St Newark New Jersey 07101Government - State(973) 972-5658
- Trinitas Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.56 miles away225 Williamson Street Elizabeth New Jersey 07207Voluntary non-profit - Private(908) 994-5000
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital at RahwayAcute Care Hospitals 7.37 miles away865 Stone St Rahway New Jersey 07065Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 381-4200
- Carepoint Health - Bayonne Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.7 miles away29 East 29th St Bayonne New Jersey 07002Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 858-5000
- Fmc Maplewood Dialysis Center0.45 miles away2130 Milburn Avenue Suite b1 Maplewood New Jersey 07040Dialysis Stations: 16 (973) 275-5499
- Davita Millburn Dialysis0.91 miles away25 East Willow Street Ste 2 Millburn New Jersey 07041CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (973) 379-7309
- Fmc Hillside Dialysis Ctr1.45 miles away879 Rahway Avenue Ruth Kliman Dialysis Center Union New Jersey 07083Dialysis Stations: 32 (908) 964-5606
- Alaris Health at Essex1.99 miles away155-40th Street Irvington New Jersey 07111Dialysis Stations: 18 (973) 371-2155
- Fmc Irvington2.04 miles away10 Camptown Road Irvington New Jersey 07111CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (973) 399-1111
- Fmc Kenilworth2.86 miles away131 South 31st Street Kenilworth New Jersey 07033CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (908) 241-0453
- Davita Irvington Dialysis3.14 miles away468 Chancellor Avenue Suite Ws-3 Irvington New Jersey 07111Dialysis Stations: 19 (973) 373-0294
- Ara Dialysis Center at West Orange3.16 miles away101 Old Shorts Hills Road Ste 120 Carlstadt New Jersey 07072CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (973) 736-8300