South Heritage Health & Rehabilitation Center is a small non-profit nursing home located in Saint Petersburg, Florida. This nursing home was given an overall grade of A. This proved to be one of the five highest rated nursing homes in Saint Petersburg. Saint Petersburg has a double digit count of other nursing homes, but we doubt you will need to check out too many others. This one looks like a very fine option. This nursing home also received consistently good grades in all of the major categories. Additional information about its category grades can be found below.
South Heritage Health & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
We also wanted to point out that this facility earned near flawless government inspections recently. We awarded them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. Inspection scores are tied to several datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that score well in this category have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these places should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. While this facility had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Compounding its high-end accomplishments in other areas, we gave this facility a score of A for its long-term care score. When facilities receive this kind of grade in this category it is typically a good sign for resident care and suggests that the place is well-staffed with nurses aids. On top of assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents, which is very impressive. Pneumonia sadly can be a life threatening ailment for nursing home patients so we like it when a nursing home does not roll the dice on this issue. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about South Heritage Health & Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also fared very well in the category of short-term care, where we awarded it a score of A-. Not many facilities received a better grade in this category. In calculating our short-term care grades, we analyze the facility's levels of skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other licensed professionals. This area is generally a reliable measure of the facility's rehabilitation. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last measure we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents that ultimately were able to return home from the facility. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Switching gears to the next area, this facility also performed admirably in the nursing category. In fact, we gave it a B+ in that category. This rounded out a very strong profile. The nursing grade includes numerous factors. The most important variable is the amount of time nurses spend with patients. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
South Heritage Health & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In South Heritage Health & Rehabilitation Center, 9.08% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by staying in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In South Heritage Health & Rehabilitation Center, 2.82% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of nursing care . Falls leading to injury are routinely caused by poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In South Heritage Health & Rehabilitation Center, 1.81% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In South Heritage Health & Rehabilitation Center, 10.64% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are used for treating several medical conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In South Heritage Health & Rehabilitation Center, 21.27% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In South Heritage Health & Rehabilitation Center, 2.33% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. Many in the industry argue that this is a reliable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In South Heritage Health & Rehabilitation Center, 94.94% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In South Heritage Health & Rehabilitation Center, 13.07% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In South Heritage Health & Rehabilitation Center, 16.78% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that remained mobile levels. Some would argue that mobility is critical to residents' physical and mental well-being.
In South Heritage Health & Rehabilitation Center, 1.76 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In South Heritage Health & Rehabilitation Center, 16.78 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In South Heritage Health & Rehabilitation Center, 9.16 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In South Heritage Health & Rehabilitation Center, 78.49% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Saint Petersburg, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Saint Petersburg, Florida has 26 other nursing homes
- Bayfront Health - St PetersburgAcute Care Hospitals 1.02 miles away701 6th St S Saint Petersburg Florida 33701Voluntary non-profit - Private(727) 823-1234
- Johns Hopkins All Children's HospitalChildrens 1.09 miles away501 Sixth Avenue South Saint Petersburg Florida 33701Voluntary non-profit - Other(813) 898-7451
- St Anthonys HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.16 miles away1200 Seventh Ave N Saint Petersburg Florida 33705Voluntary non-profit - Church(727) 825-1100
- Palms of Pasadena HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.86 miles away1501 Pasadena Ave S Saint Petersburg Florida 33707Proprietary(727) 381-1000
- Northside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.28 miles away6000 49th St N Saint Petersburg Florida 33709Proprietary(813) 521-5000
- St Petersburg General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.43 miles away6500 38th Ave N Saint Petersburg Florida 33710Proprietary(727) 384-1414
- Largo Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.81 miles away201 14th St Sw Largo Florida 33770Proprietary(727) 588-5200
- Memorial Hospital of TampaAcute Care Hospitals 16.3 miles away2901 W Swann Ave Tampa Florida 33609Proprietary(813) 873-6400
- Fresenius Kidney Care-St Petersburg0.85 miles away446 4th Street S Saint Petersburg Florida 33701Dialysis Stations: 17 (727) 896-5500
- Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital Dialysis1.1 miles away501 6th Ave S 6500000410 Saint Petersburg Florida 33701Dialysis Stations: 7 (727) 767-4166
- St Petersburg Kidney Care1.38 miles away800 3rd Ave S. Webb Plaza Saint Petersburg Florida 33701CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (727) 821-3201
- St Petersburg Dialysis1.71 miles away1117 Arlington Ave N Saint Petersburg Florida 33705Dialysis Stations: 20 (727) 896-9029
- H Street North - St Petersburg2.14 miles away635 4th St No Saint Petersburg Florida 33701CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (727) 821-4654
- Fmc - South Saint Petersburg2.44 miles away650 34th St S Saint Petersburg Florida 33711Dialysis Stations: 31 (727) 321-2527
- St Petersburg Kidney Care South2.56 miles away4050 34th St S Saint Petersburg Florida 33711CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (727) 867-1279
- St Petersburg South Dialysis2.61 miles away2850 34th Street S Saint Petersburg Florida 33711CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (727) 864-4050