South County Nursing Home is in Arnold, Missouri, a city with a population of 35,439 people. This is a good facility. We gave it an overall grade of B, which is a very solid score. Based on the data we reviewed, you can do much worse than this nursing home. More information on this facility's category grades may be found below. Its best category was long-term care, which is discussed in the next paragraph.
South County Nursing Home
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
1101 West Outer 21 Road,
Arnold MO 63010
49.86% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
In addition to being a quality facility overall, this facility really excelled in long-term care, where it earned an A+. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Nursing homes that receive this kind of grade in this category tend to provide consistent around the clock care to ensure patients are kept in good health. On top of looking at the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. Vaccines are vital to keeping residents healthy. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
This facility also excelled in inspections. In fact, we awarded it an A- for that category. Arguably the most important factor we look at in computing our inspection ratings is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes with better scores in this category most likely dodged the more severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. While this nursing home had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none were severe based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about South County Nursing Home?
Short-term Care Quality
This facilities second worse grade is short-term care. We awarded it a D in this category. This is not a very good grade in this category. Short-term care scores are vital for prospective residents looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally requires additional highly-skilled nursing services. This includes a wide range of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Unfortunately, we discovered that this facility provided fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than most other facilities. The last datapoint we considered in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that just 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these subpar metrics doomed this nursing home's short-term care score.
The next category we rated was nursing. We gave this nursing home a grade of D in our nursing category, leaving this as its least impressive grade. Our nursing score consists of many data points, but the most important one is the level of nurse hours per patient per week. This facility offered a meager 0.1 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This is well below average. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing grades. This place performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these metrics to be reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
South County Nursing Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In South County Nursing Home, 9.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents that suffer from pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are an indicator of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In South County Nursing Home, 3.89% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are routinely associated with lower levels of patient supervision. Additional nurse staffing limits the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In South County Nursing Home, 3.39% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In South County Nursing Home, 20.47% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term patients receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In South County Nursing Home, 24.32% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In South County Nursing Home, 4.19% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In South County Nursing Home, 88.53% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In South County Nursing Home, 14.79% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of decline of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In South County Nursing Home, 14.68% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that were able to retain mobility.
In South County Nursing Home, 1.7 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In South County Nursing Home, 14.68 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In South County Nursing Home, 11.55 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to assess short-term care.
- Mercy Hospital SouthAcute Care Hospitals 4.88 miles away10010 Kennerly Road Saint Louis Missouri 63128Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 525-1000
- Ssm Health St Clare Hospital - FentonAcute Care Hospitals 5.21 miles away1015 Bowles Fenton Missouri 63026Voluntary non-profit - Private(636) 496-2000
- St Luke's Des Peres HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.49 miles away2345 Dougherty Ferry Road Saint Louis Missouri 63122Proprietary(314) 966-9100
- Missouri Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.24 miles away3015 N Ballas Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63131Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-5000
- St Lukes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.9 miles away232 S Woods Mill Rd Chesterfield Missouri 63017Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 434-1500
- Ssm Health St Mary's Hospital - St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 14.04 miles away6420 Clayton Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63117Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 768-8000
- St Alexius HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.39 miles away3933 S Broadway Saint Louis Missouri 63118Proprietary(314) 865-7000
- Barnes-Jewish West County HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.16 miles away12634 Olive Boulevard Saint Louis Missouri 63141Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-8000
- Fmc - Arnold3.49 miles away2194 Michigan Ave Arnold Missouri 63010Dialysis Stations: 12 (636) 287-1160
- Fmc - Tesson Ferry Dialysis3.76 miles away13134 Tesson Ferry Road Saint Louis Missouri 63128Dialysis Stations: 16 (314) 843-7390
- Arnold Dialysis4.37 miles away102 Richardson Xing Arnold Missouri 63010Dialysis Stations: 8 (636) 467-5619
- Rtc-Lamplighter Dialysis4.57 miles away12654 Lamplighter Square Saint Louis Missouri 63128Dialysis Stations: 16 (314) 729-7979
- Home Dialysis South4.77 miles away5201 Mid America Plaza Suite 2200 Saint Louis Missouri 63129Dialysis Stations: 2 (314) 286-0770
- Bowles Avenue Dialysis4.9 miles away1011 Bowles Avenue Suite 210 Fenton Missouri 63026Dialysis Stations: 14 (636) 326-7130
- Fenton Dialysis Center5.68 miles away850 Horan Dr. Fenton Missouri 63026Dialysis Stations: 18 (636) 305-1144
- South County Dialysis Center6.66 miles away4145 Union Road Saint Louis Missouri 63129Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 894-1851