With an address in Santa Ana, California, South Coast Post Acute is one of eight available facilities in this city. We awarded this facility an elite overall grade of A-. As a matter of fact, this is ranked among the three highest graded nursing homes in Santa Ana. We couldn't find many negative things to say about this place. Its ratings are just impeccable. We also gave this nursing home phenomenal grades in each of the major categories we assessed. More information about these categories can be found below.
South Coast Post Acute
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for our inspections rating. These inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these issues by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Fortunately, although this nursing home had some minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G through L. This tells you that the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
This facility also excelled in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of A-. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Our nursing grade is primarily tied to a nursing home's nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place California in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a system of moving a resident even once per day.
Does this page answer your questions about South Coast Post Acute?
Short-term Care Quality
Compounding its fine profile, this nursing home also was awarded a strong short-term care grade, with a score of A-. In our short-term care score, we try to forge a meaningful measure for rehabilitation. In this process, we analyze the nursing home's scope of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. However, based on the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final measure we looked at in this area is the percentage of patients who ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to the final area, this nursing home was awarded an excellent long-term care rating. We awarded it a grade of B+ in this category, wrapping up one of our more favorable report cards. When nursing homes receive this kind of score in this category it is a good sign for patient care and indicates that the nursing home is well-staffed with nurses and aids. One of the statistics we considered after nursing hours is vaccinations. This facility provided the pneumonia vaccination to 98.31224 percent of its patients. Vaccination is a proven method to minimize negative health outcomes for the nursing home population. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
South Coast Post Acute Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In South Coast Post Acute, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In South Coast Post Acute, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that have had a major fall. Falls leading to severe injury are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Falls are routinely caused by poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In South Coast Post Acute, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who had UTI's. UTI's could be an indicator of lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this metric could be skewed for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In South Coast Post Acute, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to patients for a variety of conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Tragically, in limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In South Coast Post Acute, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are given to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In South Coast Post Acute, 4.64% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In South Coast Post Acute, 95.44% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In South Coast Post Acute, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and bathing. Some argue this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In South Coast Post Acute, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents who retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In South Coast Post Acute, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In South Coast Post Acute, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In South Coast Post Acute, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In South Coast Post Acute, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Santa Ana, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Santa Ana, California has 7 other nursing homes
- South Coast Global Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.41 miles away2701 S Bristol St Santa Ana California 92704Proprietary(714) 754-5454
- Fountain Valley Regional Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.12 miles away17100 Euclid Street Fountain Valley California 92708Proprietary(714) 966-7200
- Orange County Global Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.76 miles away1001 North Tustin Avenue Santa Ana California 92705Proprietary(714) 953-3610
- Memorialcare Orange Coast Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.31 miles away9920 Talbert Avenue Fountain Valley California 92708Proprietary(714) 378-7406
- Garden Grove Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.44 miles away12601 Garden Grove Blvd Garden Grove California 92843Proprietary(714) 537-5160
- University of California Irvine Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.48 miles away101 City Drive South Orange California 92868Government - Local(714) 456-6112
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.65 miles away1100 West Stewart Dr Orange California 92868Voluntary non-profit - Church(714) 633-9111
- Chapman Global Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.83 miles away2601 E Chapman Ave Orange California 92869Proprietary(714) 633-0011
- Fmc-Santa Ana Dialysis0.46 miles away2740 S. Bristol Street, Suite 110 Santa Ana California 92704CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (714) 754-1670
- Davita-Santa Ana Dialysis Center1.98 miles away1820 E. Deere Avenue Santa Ana California 92705CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (949) 251-1221
- Fmc-Newport Mesa Dialysis Services2.5 miles away1175 Baker Street, Suite B Costa Mesa California 92626CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (714) 641-5808
- Davita-Costa Mesa Dialysis2.66 miles away1590 Scenic Avenue Costa Mesa California 92626CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (714) 540-9401
- Fmc-Rai-Fountain Valley Home2.7 miles away17197 Newhope Street, Suite E Fountain Valley California 92708Dialysis Stations: 3 (714) 435-0281
- Davita-Fountain Valley Dialysis3.23 miles away17150 Euclid Street, Suite 111 Fountain Valley California 92708CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (714) 966-1595
- Fmc-South Orange County3.23 miles away2020 E. First Street, Suite 100 Santa Ana California 92705CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (714) 972-1236
- St. Joseph Hospital Dialysis Center-Santa Ana3.31 miles away2212 E. 4th Street, Suite 101 Santa Ana California 92705CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (714) 571-7850