Sorrento is an average-sized nursing home located in San Antonio, Texas. This is not a bad facility with a C overall grade. This grade is right in line with the city grade in San Antonio. In our view, this nursing home should be a good fit for quite a few people. The best part of this nursing home's report card was its stellar inspection rating. We discuss inspections in the next paragraph.
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
San Antonio TX 78229
111.78% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
This facility received a solid overall grade as described above, but we really wanted to emphasize its nearly flawless inspections in recent years. We awarded them an impressive grade of A in this category. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing these inspection ratings. One critical factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some of these end up being quite minor. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Based on this, we still had positive view of this nursing home's recent inspections.
Short-term Care Quality
We also awarded this facility a positive score in short-term care. This facility received a B in this category, which is one of our more impressive scores. In the category of short-term care, we try to qualify measures of a facility's rehabilitation services. We assess a nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. It doesn't look like this nursing home provided data regarding its registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. Finally, we assessed the number of patients who who were able to eventually return home from this facility. We found that 6.6 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Sorrento?
Long-term Care Quality
We also gave this facility a middle of the road score in the category of long-term care, where we gave it a grade of C. In computing these long-term care grades, we analyze the facility's ability to maintain its permanent residents' health and quality of life. After considering the quantity of care provided by nurses, we turned to the facility's vaccination data. We were pleased to find that this facility vaccinates 100 percent of its residents for pneumonia. This place was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Switching gears to the last area, this nursing home really did not fare very well. Due to a very poor grade of F in nursing, this was this nursing home's weakest area. We looked at the levels of nurses working for the facility, in addition to the quantity of time the nurses worked with patients, in computing our rating in this area. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing scores. This place fared well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these statistics to be measures of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Sorrento Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Sorrento, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to remaining in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Sorrento, 3.33% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients that suffered falls which caused major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indication of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Sorrento, 1.51% of Patients had UTIs
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay residents which have experienced a UTI. UTI's could be a sign of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this metric can also be skewed for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Sorrento, 11.48% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that are prescribed antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such medications are not medically required. Nevertheless, some facilities may need to rely on these drugs due to an increased number of residents suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Sorrento, 22.56% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antianxiety medications. These medications are used to treat residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Sorrento, 4.81% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Sorrento, 94.64% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Sorrento, 17.1% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and eating. Many believe this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Sorrento, 16.36% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients that maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Sorrento, 1.67 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Sorrento, 16.36 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Sorrento, 11.4 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Sorrento, 66.86% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some argue that this is a reasonable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for San Antonio, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? San Antonio, Texas has 61 other nursing homes
- Christus Santa Rosa Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.14 miles away2827 Babcock Road San Antonio Texas 78229Voluntary non-profit - Church(210) 704-3342
- University Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 0.86 miles away4502 Medical Dr San Antonio Texas 78229Government - Hospital District or Authority(210) 358-2637
- Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.13 miles away7700 Floyd Curl Dr San Antonio Texas 78229Proprietary(210) 575-4000
- Methodist Ambulatory Surgery Hospital NwAcute Care Hospitals 1.18 miles away9150 Huebner Rd Suite 100 San Antonio Texas 78240Proprietary(210) 575-5000
- Foundation Surgical Hospital of San AntonioAcute Care Hospitals 1.38 miles away9522 Huebner Road San Antonio Texas 78240Proprietary(210) 478-5400
- Legent Orthopedic + SpineAcute Care Hospitals 5.52 miles away5330 North Loop 1604 West San Antonio Texas 78249Proprietary(717) 620-2424
- Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8 miles away111 Dallas Street San Antonio Texas 78205Proprietary(210) 297-8256
- Children's Hospital of San AntonioChildrens 8.01 miles away333 N Santa Rosa St San Antonio Texas 78207Voluntary non-profit - Private(210) 704-3342
- Bma Northwest Bexar County0.14 miles away5131 Medical Drive Suite 110 San Antonio Texas 78229CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (210) 338-7742
- Northwest Medical Center Dialysis0.24 miles away5284 Medical Drive Suite 135 San Antonio Texas 78229CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 616-9699
- University Health System Children's Kidney Center0.78 miles away4502 Medical Drive Ms 111-1 San Antonio Texas 78229Dialysis Stations: 8 (210) 358-8309
- Floyd Curl Dialysis1.26 miles away9238 Floyd Curl Drive, Suite 102 San Antonio Texas 78240Dialysis Stations: 20 (210) 561-4373
- Usrc Medical Center, LLC1.82 miles away4511 Nw Loop 410 San Antonio Texas 78229CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (210) 541-0273
- Lockehill Kidney Disease Clinic1.85 miles away10134 Huebner Road San Antonio Texas 78240Dialysis Stations: 15 (210) 641-6000
- Kidney Treatment Center Northwest Pa1.94 miles away3939 Medical Drive Suite 110 San Antonio Texas 78229Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 692-3075
- Us Renal Care Bandera Road Dialysis2.41 miles away7831 Westchase San Antonio Texas 78238Dialysis Stations: 25 (210) 682-1300