With an address in San Antonio, Texas, Sonterra Health Center is one of 62 options here. It looks like this is a quality facility. We awarded this it an overall grade of B+, which is a strong score. This nursing home turned out to be one of the better nursing homes in San Antonio. This place also received very consistent grades in all of the major categories we assessed. Additional information about its category grades is available below.
Sonterra Health Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Lymphedema Care
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this turned out to be a quality facility is that it earned an impressive inspection rating. Inspections turned out to be its best category grade. In that category, we awarded this facility a grade of A. Our inspection grades are tied to several items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that receive favorable grades in this category tend to have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these facilities should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. Although this facility had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. A few relatively minor dings aren't the end of the world.
One of the other reasons we rated this facility so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing grade. In that category, we gave this facility a grade of B+. The nursing rating is based on quite a few subcategories, however, the paramount consideration is the number of nurse hours per patient per week. This particular nursing home provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can often be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Sonterra Health Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home was given a favorable long-term care score as well. We gave it one of our better scores in that area with a score of B+. When facilities receive a score in this range in long-term care it typically means it has plenty of staff and is a quality place to live on a permanent basis. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is very impressive. Pneumonia sadly is often a life or death condition for nursing home residents so we strongly prefer when a facility does not leave this to chance. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we analyzed was short-term care, where we awarded it a favorable grade of B. This facility truly did not have any weak categories. Short-term care scores are vital for prospective residents needing rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically utilizes additional skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means a broad spectrum of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. It does not look like this facility provided information on registered nurse or physical therapist staffing. Finally, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 5.7 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Sonterra Health Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Sonterra Health Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients which suffer from pressure ulcers . We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Sonterra Health Center, 3.33% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are routinely linked to lower levels of patient supervision. Better nursing protocols minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Sonterra Health Center, 1.51% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic measures the percent of long-term care patients which sustained a UTI. While a higher rate of these infections may reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it is problematic to compare between facilities due to facilities having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Sonterra Health Center, 11.48% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are administered to residents for many medical conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Unfortunately, in limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Sonterra Health Center, 22.56% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure indicates the percent of long-term stay patients who are prescribed antianxiety medication. These medications are used to treat patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Sonterra Health Center, 4.81% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Sonterra Health Center, 94.64% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Sonterra Health Center, 17.1% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Sonterra Health Center, 16.36% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Sonterra Health Center, 1.67 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Sonterra Health Center, 16.36 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Sonterra Health Center, 11.4 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to gauge patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Sonterra Health Center, 66.86% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with activities of daily living generally correlates with successful rehabilitation.
Scores for San Antonio, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? San Antonio, Texas has 61 other nursing homes
- South Texas Spine and Surgical HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.18 miles away18600 North Hardy Oak Blvd San Antonio Texas 78258Government - Hospital District or Authority(210) 404-0800
- Methodist Stone Oak HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.37 miles away1139 E Sonterra Blvd, Ste 535 San Antonio Texas 78258Proprietary(210) 638-2100
- Baptist Emergency HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.24 miles away16088 San Pedro San Antonio Texas 78232Proprietary(210) 402-4092
- Legent Orthopedic + SpineAcute Care Hospitals 5.8 miles away5330 North Loop 1604 West San Antonio Texas 78249Proprietary(717) 620-2424
- Foundation Surgical Hospital of San AntonioAcute Care Hospitals 8.03 miles away9522 Huebner Road San Antonio Texas 78240Proprietary(210) 478-5400
- Methodist Ambulatory Surgery Hospital NwAcute Care Hospitals 8.35 miles away9150 Huebner Rd Suite 100 San Antonio Texas 78240Proprietary(210) 575-5000
- University Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 8.57 miles away4502 Medical Dr San Antonio Texas 78229Government - Hospital District or Authority(210) 358-2637
- Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.58 miles away7700 Floyd Curl Dr San Antonio Texas 78229Proprietary(210) 575-4000
- North Central Kidney Disease Center0.4 miles away116 Gallery Circle #102 San Antonio Texas 78258Dialysis Stations: 16 (210) 499-4003
- Stone Oak Dialysis1 miles away731 Carnoustie Drive #101 San Antonio Texas 78258CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (210) 403-2162
- Fmc San Antonio, LLC5.89 miles away5418 N Loop 1604 W Ste 120 San Antonio Texas 78249Dialysis Stations: 13 (210) 561-7879
- Broadway Kidney Disease Center6.79 miles away8840 Tradeway San Antonio Texas 78217CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (210) 805-9880
- Kidney Treatment Center Northwest Pa7.43 miles away3939 Medical Drive Suite 110 San Antonio Texas 78229Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 692-3075
- Lockehill Kidney Disease Clinic7.45 miles away10134 Huebner Road San Antonio Texas 78240Dialysis Stations: 15 (210) 641-6000
- Marymount Dialysis Center8.07 miles away2391 Ne Loop 410 Suite #211 San Antonio Texas 78217CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 646-8788
- Sakdc Davita Dialysis Partners Lp8.11 miles away15619 Nacogdoches Rd San Antonio Texas 78247Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 653-9579