With an address in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Somerton Nursing and Rehabilitation Center is on a list of 30 nursing homes in the city. This facility received an uninspiring overall grade of D in our grading scheme. This is not the worse place we looked at, but we would still struggle to recommend it. If you aren't deterred by this nursing home's profile, feel free to continue reading to learn more about its category grades. Inspection grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Somerton Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
650 Edison Avenue,
Philadelphia PA 19116
64.4% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Although we were not complementary of this nursing home's overall performance, it did receive an impressive inspection report this year with few dings from the applicable government inspectors. As a result, it received one of our better grades in that category with a B+. Arguably the most critical factor we consider in calculating our inspection ratings is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a facility's recent inspection reports. It is typically in your best interest to avoid nursing homes that have too many deficiencies. This facility was hit with 9 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered to be major deficiencies. This means that CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies to cause an imminent risk to resident safety or health. A couple minor deficiencies are not necessarily the end of the world.
This nursing home actually received a decent grade in the area of nursing as well. We awarded it a grade of B- for that category, which is not a bad score. We analyzed the licensure of nurses at the facility, as well as the quantity of time the nurses were with residents, in calculating our score in this area. This nursing home provides 3.8 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, our nursing grades also factor in some quality-focused statistics. Specifically, we look at the percent of residents who sustained pressure ulcers and major falls. We view these statistics as reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care, since better care tends to reduce these problems.
Does this page answer your questions about Somerton Nursing and Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Sadly, this facility received an F for its short-term care grade. Our short-term care ratings are thought to be more critical for those requiring a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically utilizes higher levels of highly-skilled nursing. This means not merely nursing, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Unfortunately, we learned that this place provides less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than most nursing homes. The last metric we considered in this category is the percentage of patients who ultimately were able to return home from the facility. This facility struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 38 percent of its residents returning home. Unfortunately, this was quite a bit below average.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we assessed was long-term care. It received an abysmal F in this category, which is a poor grade. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in this category it typically means the nursing home did not perform well in our measures relating to resident care. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. Candidly, we were a bit alarmed this facility administered the vaccine to only 43.907158 percent of its patients. Surprisingly, this facility actually fared well at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had just 0.97 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. This was its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Somerton Nursing and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Somerton Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 7.73% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Somerton Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 3.42% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that sustained a fall which resulted in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Somerton Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.81% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care. Closer supervision can limit the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Note that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Somerton Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 15.6% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many patients, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Somerton Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 19.49% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents given antianxiety medications. These medications are commonly used to treat residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Somerton Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 3.38% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Somerton Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 89.35% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Somerton Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 15.62% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and eating. Many argue that this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Somerton Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 23.88% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Somerton Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is usually a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Somerton Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 23.88 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Somerton Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 8.79 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Somerton Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 72.17% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Philadelphia, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Philadelphia, Pennsylvania has 29 other nursing homes
- Holy Redeemer Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.04 miles away1648 Huntingdon Pike Jenkintown Pennsylvania 19046Voluntary non-profit - Church(215) 947-3000
- Aria HealthAcute Care Hospitals 4.33 miles away10800 Knights Road Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19114Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 612-4129
- Nazareth HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.3 miles away2601 Holme Ave Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19152Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 335-6000
- Abington Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.81 miles away1200 Old York Road Abington Pennsylvania 19001Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 481-2000
- Jeanes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.89 miles away7600 Central Avenue Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19111Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 728-2000
- Lower Bucks HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.76 miles away501 Bath Road Bristol Pennsylvania 19007Proprietary(215) 785-9200
- Virtua Willingboro HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.66 miles away218a Sunset Road Willingboro New Jersey 08046Voluntary non-profit - Private(609) 835-2900
- Albert Einstein Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.68 miles away5501 Old York Road Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19141Voluntary non-profit - Other(215) 456-6090
- Davita Neshaminy Dialysis1.64 miles away2 Neshaminy Interplex Drive Building 2, Suite 110 Feasterville Trevose Pennsylvania 19053Dialysis Stations: 16 (215) 245-6590
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Greater Northeast2.23 miles away10500 Roosevelt Blvd Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19116Dialysis Stations: 15 (215) 673-3923
- Northeast Philadelphia Dialysis Center, LLC3.13 miles away9815 Roosevelt Blvd., Suite 1a Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19114Dialysis Stations: 17 (215) 330-0494
- Davita - Grant One Dialysis Center3.67 miles away9475 Roosevelt Boulevard, Suite 9 Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19114CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (215) 673-0490
- Woodhaven Dialysis Center4.61 miles away1336 Bristol Pike, Suite B Bensalem Pennsylvania 19020CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (215) 639-1070
- Bensalem Dialysis Center4.61 miles away1336 Bristol Pike Units 12 &13 Bensalem Pennsylvania 19020CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (215) 638-8671
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Nazareth5.26 miles away2601 Holme Avenue Ground Floor, Marion Building Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19152Dialysis Stations: 17 (215) 335-0668
- Davita - Huntingdon Valley Dialysis5.3 miles away769 Huntingdon Pike Huntingdon Valley Pennsylvania 19006CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (215) 379-1788