Somerset Ridge Center is in Somerset, Massachusetts. With an overall rating of B, this looks like a very respectable facility. Based on our analysis, this place ought to meet the needs of most people. The best part of this nursing home's report card is is its short-term care grade. We discuss short-term care in the next section.
Somerset Ridge Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
Part of the reason this nursing home performed so well overall is that it excelled in the category of short-term care, with a B+ in that category. It outpaced most places in this category. Short-term care grades are often used to gauge a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation. To provide quality rehabilitation services, facilities generally must feature higher levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other highly trained professionals. Unfortunately, we weren't able to track down information about this nursing home's registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 6.5 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
One of the other reasons we rated this facility so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing rating. In fact, nursing turned out to be its second best category grade. In that category, we gave this nursing home an B. When calculating our nursing scores, we analyze both staffing levels and the levels of licensure of the nurses. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Somerset Ridge Center?
This facility earned a B for its inspections grade. This is an above average score in this area. Arguably the most significant factor we consider in computing our inspection scores is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a facility's inspection reports. Nursing homes with better scores in this area most likely avoided the more severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. While this place had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were serious based on CMS' scale. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in this industry.
Long-term Care Quality
Our final area is long-term care, in which we awarded this facility a grade of B- in this category. If you are looking for services other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each facility's long-term care grades. After considering the quantity of care provided by nurses, we then looked at the facility's vaccination statistics. We were optimistic to learn that this facility vaccinates 99.0991 percent of its patients for pneumonia. This nursing home also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Somerset Ridge Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Somerset Ridge Center, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often caused by patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Somerset Ridge Center, 3.68% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents that sustained a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are routinely caused by lower levels of patient supervision. Closer supervision reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Somerset Ridge Center, 2.42% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections may be linked to inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Somerset Ridge Center, 19.05% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that are administered antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically required. However, some facilities may need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of patients with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Somerset Ridge Center, 18.65% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents that were administered antianxiety drugs. These medications are used to treat residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Somerset Ridge Center, 1.93% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Somerset Ridge Center, 91.44% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Somerset Ridge Center, 15.15% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Somerset Ridge Center, 17.66% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who were able to retain mobility. Some believe that the ability to move around is critical to patients mental and physical health.
In Somerset Ridge Center, 1.44 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Somerset Ridge Center, 17.66 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Somerset Ridge Center, 10.93 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Somerset Ridge Center, 71.35% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Southcoast Hospital Group, IncAcute Care Hospitals 1.5 miles away363 Highland Avenue Fall River Massachusetts 02720Voluntary non-profit - Private(508) 679-3131
- Saint Anne's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.54 miles away795 Middle Street Fall River Massachusetts 02721Proprietary(508) 674-5600
- Emma Pendleton Bradley HospitalPsychiatric 11.24 miles away1011 Veterans Memorial Parkway Riverside Rhode Island 02915Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 432-1000
- Morton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.85 miles away88 Washington Street Taunton Massachusetts 02780Proprietary(508) 828-7000
- Rhode Island HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.68 miles away593 Eddy Street Providence Rhode Island 02903Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 444-4000
- Women & Infants Hospital of Rhode IslandAcute Care Hospitals 13.84 miles away101 Dudley Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 274-1100
- The Miriam HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.63 miles away164 Summit Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02906Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 793-2500
- Roger Williams Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.6 miles away825 Chalkstone Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02908Proprietary(401) 456-2025
- Fall River Kidney Center LLC0.98 miles away48 Weaver Street Fall River Massachusetts 02720CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 41 (508) 677-4911
- Dialysis Center of Tiverton4.74 miles away22 Hurst Lane Tiverton Rhode Island 02878Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 624-4403
- Hawthorn Kidney Center9.5 miles away537 Faunce Corner Road North Dartmouth Massachusetts 02747CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (508) 994-9692
- Davita New Bedford Dialysis10.72 miles away237-B State Road North Dartmouth Massachusetts 02747CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (508) 992-0629
- Dialysis Center of East Providence11.36 miles away318 Waterman Avenue East Providence Rhode Island 02914CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 435-5200
- Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital11.55 miles away950 Warren Avenue Suite 101 East Providence Rhode Island 02914Dialysis Stations: 12 (401) 606-1002
- The Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital12.09 miles away22 Baker Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Dialysis Stations: 18 (401) 444-4440
- Taunton Regional Dialysis Center13.82 miles awayMill River Place 1 Washington St, Suite 9 Taunton Massachusetts 02780CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (508) 828-5986