Solera at West Houston is located in Houston, Texas. The city provides a variety of available nursing homes. We gave it an overall grade of B-, which is a middle of the pack rating. In our view, this facility would be a solid choice for quite a few people. We were also pleased to find that this place was consistent in all of our categories. Additional information about its category grades is available below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Solera at West Houston
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Houston senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Government - Hospital district
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
The primary reason this facility received a decent overall score is its impeccable inspections in recent years. We awarded it one of our better grades in that category, with a grade of A-. This is a much better grade than the place's overall score, which was decent but not in the elite range. Inspection ratings weigh several factors found on a facility's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we consider is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher scores in this area generally have very few of these severe deficiencies. Fortunately, although this facility had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Remember that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in this industry.
Short-term Care Quality
Additionally, we also would like to note that this facility was given favorable short-term care marks this year. We gave them one of our more favorable grades in that category, with a grade of B+. This turned out to be the nursing home's second best score. In computing these short-term care ratings, we assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our objective is to formulate a scale for comparing the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. We weren't able to locate registered nurse or physical therapy staffing data for this facility. The final datapoint we looked at in this area is the number of patients that ultimately were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that 6.3 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Solera at West Houston?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home was given its third most favorable category grade in the area of long-term care. We gave this nursing home a C in this category, which is an acceptable grade. In computing our long-term care ratings, we look at the assistance with daily living offered to a facility's residents. After considering the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 99.43503 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is more than the average nursing home. Lastly, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Switching gears to our final category, this facility received a C in nursing, which we consider to be a decent grade. In computing our nursing grades, we look at both staffing levels and the skill levels of those nurses. This facility provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This is a much lower figure than we were hoping for. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this nursing home fared better in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at. It scored well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Solera at West Houston Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Solera at West Houston, 7.17% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can minimize the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Solera at West Houston, 3.38% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are considered by many experts to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls which result in injury are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Solera at West Houston, 1.52% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often the result of poor nursing care. More frequent bathing reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Solera at West Houston, 10.14% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term care patients receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Solera at West Houston, 22.67% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Solera at West Houston, 4.84% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents showing signs of depression. Higher levels of depression could imply a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Solera at West Houston, 93.69% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Solera at West Houston, 17.58% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Solera at West Houston, 13.47% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term patients that retained mobility levels.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Solera at West Houston, 13.47 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Solera at West Houston, 11.91 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Solera at West Houston, 66.29% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with activities of daily living typically correlates with better rehabilitation.
Scores for Houston, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Houston, Texas has 24 other nursing homes
- Houston Methodist West HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.74 miles away18500 Katy Freeway Houston Texas 77094Voluntary non-profit - Private(832) 522-1000
- Memorial Hermann Katy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.87 miles away23900 Katy Freeway Katy Texas 77494Voluntary non-profit - Private(281) 392-1111
- Westpark Springs LLCPsychiatric 7.55 miles away6902 S Peek Road Richmond Texas 77407Voluntary non-profit - Other(832) 535-2770
- Hca Houston Healthcare WestAcute Care Hospitals 7.95 miles away12141 Richmond Ave Houston Texas 77082Proprietary(281) 588-8080
- Memorial Hermann Memorial City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.78 miles away921 Gessner Houston Texas 77024Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 242-3000
- St Luke's Sugar Land HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.84 miles away1317 Lake Pointe Parkway Sugar Land Texas 77478Voluntary non-profit - Private(281) 637-7000
- Sugar Land Surgical Hospital LlpAcute Care Hospitals 14.47 miles away16906 Southwest Freeway Sugar Land Texas 77479Physician(281) 243-1000
- Houston Methodist Sugarland HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.56 miles away16655 Southwest Freeway Sugar Land Texas 77479Voluntary non-profit - Private(281) 274-8000
- Horizon Dialysis0.09 miles away2222 Greenhouse Rd Houston Texas 77084Dialysis Stations: 16 (281) 829-5941
- Fresenius Medical Care Katy2.77 miles away21755 Provincial Blvd Katy Texas 77450Dialysis Stations: 25 (281) 492-3401
- Dunes Dialysis, LLC3.18 miles away2922 N Mason Rd. Suite 100 Katy Texas 77449Dialysis Stations: 20 (281) 579-9057
- Katy Cinco Ranch Dialysis3.45 miles away1265 Rock Canyon Road Katy Texas 77450Dialysis Stations: 12 (281) 392-1616
- Katy Dialysis Center4.42 miles away403 W. Grand Parkway South Suite T Katy Texas 77494CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (281) 392-6063
- Pin Oak Dialysis5.03 miles away24968 Katy Ranch Rd Unit 500 Katy Texas 77494Dialysis Stations: 20 (281) 574-4387
- Bear Creek Dialysis5.14 miles away4978 North Highway 6, Suite I Houston Texas 77084CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (281) 859-5020
- West Oaks Dialysis Center5.19 miles away14800 Westheimer Road Suite A Houston Texas 77082Dialysis Stations: 12 (281) 752-5469