Smith Crossing is an average-sized non-profit nursing home located in Orland Park, Illinois. We gave this facility an overall grade of B. A score of this caliber requires quality marks in most areas. Based on our ratings, this facility ought to meet the needs of most people. This place's impressive report card was highlighted by its long-term care rating, which we will address in the next paragraph.
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
10501 Emilie Lane,
Orland Park IL 60467
49.02% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Top Nursing Home in Illinois Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Orland Park, Illinois Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Illinois Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Orland Park, Illinois Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Illinois Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in Orland Park, Illinois Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
On top of receiving a strong overall grade, this nursing home performed well in long-term care. In fact, we gave it an A+ for that category, which is one of our highest scores. For prospective residents in need of a permanent place to live as opposed to skilled nursing, long-term care grades are a key measure. In addition to looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 80.99174 percent of its patients. This is a few points less than we expected but still a respectable percentage. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Short-term Care Quality
Among this nursing home's other accomplishments is its superb short-term care score. We gave them one of our best scores in that category, with a grade of A+. Our short-term care scores are based on the nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled highly skilled professionals. This includes a vast scope of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the number of residents who who were able to eventually return home from this facility. We found that 6.2 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Smith Crossing?
This facility received even higher grades in the area of nursing. In fact, it received one of our highest grades in that category with a score of A. Nursing grades are heavily correlated with levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as having a policy of turning patients more often.
Turning our last category, inspections proved to be this nursing home's weakest link. It received a grade of C in this area. Inspection scores relate to a facility's government inspection reports. Our inspection grades weigh a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. This nursing home was assessed 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were in categories G through L. This tells you it dodged the more serious classes of deficiencies. Unfortunately, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received significant government fines in recent years.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Smith Crossing Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Smith Crossing, 8.73% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients who suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We bake this statistic into our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Smith Crossing, 3.45% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls leading to injury are often caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Smith Crossing, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely caused by facilities with worst hygiene practices. Better hygiene protocols can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Smith Crossing, 18.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Smith Crossing, 19.04% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are administered to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Smith Crossing, 30.45% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care patients who are exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Smith Crossing, 87.4% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Smith Crossing, 13.9% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and continence. Many would argue this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Smith Crossing, 17.56% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that maintained mobility. Many believe that the ability to move around is important for patients physical and mental health.
In Smith Crossing, 1.66 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Smith Crossing, 17.56 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Smith Crossing, 11.82 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Smith Crossing, 71.65% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements.
- Silver Cross Hospital and Medical CentersAcute Care Hospitals 5.85 miles away1900 Silver Cross Blvd New Lenox Illinois 60451Voluntary non-profit - Private(815) 300-1100
- Palos Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.32 miles away12251 South 80th Avenue Palos Heights Illinois 60463Voluntary non-profit - Private(708) 923-4000
- Advocate South Suburban HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.28 miles away17800 S Kedzie Ave Hazel Crest Illinois 60429Voluntary non-profit - Church(708) 799-8000
- Ingalls Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.58 miles away1 Ingalls Drive Harvey Illinois 60426Voluntary non-profit - Private(708) 333-2300
- Advocate Christ Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.48 miles away4440 W 95th Street Oak Lawn Illinois 60453Voluntary non-profit - Church(708) 684-8000
- Presence Saint Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.62 miles away333 N Madison St Joliet Illinois 60435Voluntary non-profit - Church(815) 725-7133
- Adventist Bolingbrook HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.71 miles away500 Remington Boulevard Bolingbrook Illinois 60440Voluntary non-profit - Private(630) 312-5000
- Little Company of Mary HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.75 miles away2800 W 95th St Evergreen Park Illinois 60805Voluntary non-profit - Other(708) 422-6200
- Fkc - Mokena Dialysis2.29 miles away8910 W. 192nd Street, Suite a & B Mokena Illinois 60448Dialysis Stations: 14 (708) 478-1815
- Fmc - Orland Park3.86 miles away9160 W 159th Street Orland Park Illinois 60462Dialysis Stations: 18 (708) 403-2790
- Davita - Palos Park Dialysis4.07 miles away13155 S. Lagrange Road Orland Park Illinois 60462Dialysis Stations: 12 (708) 923-0928
- Davita - Tinley Park4.3 miles away16767 80th Ave. Tinley Park Illinois 60477Dialysis Stations: 12 (708) 429-4738
- Davita - New Lenox Home5.79 miles away1890 Silver Cross Blvd Ste 465 New Lenox Illinois 60451Dialysis Stations: 3 (815) 462-3971
- Davita - Renal Care Center New Lenox5.87 miles away1890 Silver Cross Blvd Suite 150 New Lenox Illinois 60451CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (815) 320-3049
- Fmc - Oak Forest6.92 miles away5340a W 159th Street Oak Forest Illinois 60452Dialysis Stations: 12 (708) 535-0080
- Davita - Country Club Hills7.96 miles away4215 W 167th Street Country Club Hills Illinois 60478CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (708) 206-1845