Skyview Center is an average-sized nursing home in Wallingford, Connecticut. With a abysmal overall grade of F, this nursing home didn't fare well in our assessment. If you are not satisfied with this facility's pedestrian overall grade, you may have to look in other cities as this is the only nursing home in Wallingford. We would not blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this facility's category grades, we will discuss short-term care in the next section.
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
35 Marc Dr,
Wallingford CT 06492
89.27% estimated occupancy 1
Note: Skyview Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
Although we graded this nursing home incredibly poorly overall, it received a decent short-term care score this year. We gave it a C in that category, which was the closest thing to a bright spot we found for this nursing home. In crafting these short-term care grades, we analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our objective is to devise a scale for sizing up the rehabilitation services of nursing homes. Unfortunately, we found that this facility provided fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other nursing homes. The tricky part is determining what bearing this had on quality of care. The final metric we considered in this area is the number of patients who were able to return home from the facility. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
We were also pleasantly surprised to learn that this facility received a reasonably solid long-term care rating in our assessment. We awarded it a grade of C in this area. Long-term care grades are vital for people in need of non-healthcare services such as personal care. Once we looked at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 94.68438 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is better than most nursing homes. Lastly, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Skyview Center?
We also wanted to draw your attention to this nursing home's inspection grades where it received an F. This generally means we found some red flags on the inspection reports. When a facility has this bad of an inspection grade, you should look for severe deficiencies on its inspection report. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to the well being of residents. This nursing home was hit with 2 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only favorable thing we can say is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that indicate they posed a threat to patient safety or health. Finally, CMS flagged this nursing home for possible abuse or neglect. This is not what you want to see. We advise you to direct your search elsewhere.
Switching gears to the last area, this nursing home didn't perform well here either. With a rock bottom grade of F in nursing, this is really as terrible as it gets. Our nursing grade assesses a handful of factors, but the primary consideration is the number of nurse hours per patient per week. This nursing home averaged only 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing scores. This place fared well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these data points to be reliable measures of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Skyview Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Skyview Center, 6.69% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by staying in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Skyview Center, 3.55% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who have experienced falls resulting in severe injury. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Skyview Center, 1.93% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often the result of worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint can be misleading for some facilities due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Skyview Center, 14.74% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. These drugs are used for several conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Skyview Center, 17.2% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are given to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Skyview Center, 6.52% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Skyview Center, 88.27% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Skyview Center, 17.82% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Skyview Center, 22.18% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients who were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Skyview Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Skyview Center, 22.18 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Skyview Center, 9.56 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Skyview Center, 75.26% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Midstate Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.14 miles away435 Lewis Avenue Meriden Connecticut 06450Voluntary non-profit - Private(203) 694-8200
- Yale-New Haven HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.45 miles away20 York St New Haven Connecticut 06504Voluntary non-profit - Private(203) 688-4242
- Middlesex HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.5 miles away28 Crescent St Middletown Connecticut 06457Voluntary non-profit - Private(860) 344-6000
- Waterbury HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.99 miles away64 Robbins St Waterbury Connecticut 06721Proprietary(203) 573-6000
- Hospital of Central Connecticut, TheAcute Care Hospitals 14.95 miles away100 Grand Street New Britain Connecticut 06050Voluntary non-profit - Other(860) 224-5011
- Griffin HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.02 miles away130 Division St Derby Connecticut 06418Voluntary non-profit - Other(203) 732-7500
- John Dempsey HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.92 miles away263 Farmington Ave Farmington Connecticut 06032Government - Local(860) 679-1145
- Wallingford Dialysis Care LLC2.34 miles away720 N Main Street Ext Suite 3 Wallingford Connecticut 06492Dialysis Stations: 13 (203) 265-0667
- u.s.renal Care North Haven Dialysis2.67 miles away510 Washington Avenue North Haven Connecticut 06473CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (203) 234-7071
- North Haven Dialysis Center2.91 miles away266 State Street Suite 2 North Haven Connecticut 06473Dialysis Stations: 15 (203) 230-1946
- Davita Hamden Dialysis5.65 miles away3000 Dixwell Avenue Suite 100 Hamden Connecticut 06518Dialysis Stations: 21 (203) 281-5361
- Central Ct Dialysis Center6.02 miles away377 Research Parkway Meriden Connecticut 06450Dialysis Stations: 23 (203) 639-2880
- Comprehensive Dialysis Care LLC6.33 miles away61 Pomeroy Ave. Building A Meriden Connecticut 06450Dialysis Stations: 14 (203) 238-1962
- Davita Waterbury Dialysis Center9.16 miles away150 Mattatuck Heights Waterbury Connecticut 06705CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (203) 419-0488
- St. Raphael Dialysis Center - New Haven10.22 miles awayDialysis Unit 137 Water Street New Haven Connecticut 06511CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (203) 772-2421