Simpson House is a large non-profit nursing home in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. This facility is among the most elite facilities we assessed. This nursing home was given one of the best scores we offer. We simply can't say enough great things about this nursing home. One of the best aspects of this facility's stellar profile is its inspection reports. Inspection reports are discussed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Philadelphia senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Radiation Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to faring well overall, this facility received a nearly flawless inspection report. As a result, it earned one of our highest grades in that area with an A+. These inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these factors by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none were severe based on CMS' scale. Remember that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in this industry.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also received a fine short-term care score. In fact, this turned out to be its second strongest category grade. In that area, this facility received a grade of A. In the area of short-term care, we attempt to assess measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We look at a nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 7.2 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Simpson House?
Among its many impressive grades, this facility received an excellent nursing grade. In fact, we gave it a grade of A- in that category. Our nursing rating looks at the nursing home's nurse staffing levels. We factor in both the levels of licensure of the nurses and the quantity of hours spent with patients. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place Pennsylvania in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as having a system of turning patients at least once a day.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we analyzed was long-term care, where this nursing home received a B-. This actually was this nursing home's least impressive category. This is nevertheless not a major area of concern. If you are seeking anything other than rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each nursing home's long-term care grades. Once we assessed the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination data. Frankly, we were a bit concerned this facility vaccinated 84.15842 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which happens to be several points less than the national average. Nevertheless, this facility keeps its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Simpson House Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Simpson House, 3.13% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents which developed pressure ulcers or bed sores. We use this statistic in calculating both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Simpson House, 1.49% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents who have had a fall leading to major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Simpson House, 3.06% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many experts to be an indicator of nursing care . UTI's are often caused by a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this datapoint can be misleading for some facilities due to varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Simpson House, 3.47% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This measures the percentage of long-term patients that were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such drugs are not medically required. However, some nursing homes may need to rely more on these medications due to having more patients with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Simpson House, 5.43% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are used to treat patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Simpson House, 0% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Simpson House, 89.65% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Simpson House, 13.26% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Simpson House, 15.49% of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients that remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In Simpson House, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Simpson House, 15.49% of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Simpson House, 9.75% of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Simpson House, 42.15% of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many argue this is a reasonable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Philadelphia, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Philadelphia, Pennsylvania has 47 other nursing homes
- Penn Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.47 miles away51 North 39th Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19104Voluntary non-profit - Other(215) 662-8000
- Roxborough Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.69 miles away5800 Ridge Ave Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19128Proprietary(215) 483-9900
- Children's Hospital of PhiladelphiaChildrens 3.14 miles away34th St & Civic Center Blvd Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19104Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 590-3745
- Temple University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.56 miles away3401 North Broad Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19140Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 707-2000
- Hahnemann University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.63 miles away230 North Broad Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19102Proprietary(215) 762-7000
- Thomas Jefferson University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.12 miles away111 South 11th Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19107Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 955-6000
- Delaware County Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.38 miles away501 North Lansdowne Ave Drexel Hill Pennsylvania 19026Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 284-8100
- Pennsylvania HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.41 miles away800 Spruce Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19107Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 829-3000
- Davita Cedar Grove Dialysis0.79 miles away4952 Parkside Avenue Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19131Dialysis Stations: 25 (215) 871-0810
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Northwest Philadelphia1.01 miles away4190 City Avenue, Suite 124 Rowland Hall Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19131Dialysis Stations: 17 (215) 871-7774
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Overbrook1.33 miles away5911 Lancaster Avenue Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19151CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (215) 452-0178
- Dialysis Center of West Philadelphia, LLC1.7 miles away4800 Brown Street, Suite 201 Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19139Dialysis Stations: 33 (215) 581-4993
- Isd Renal Inc.2.25 miles away1236 N. 26th Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19121Dialysis Stations: 17 (215) 763-3974
- Dci of Philadelphia2.32 miles away3300 Henry Avenue, 4th Floor Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19129CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (215) 848-3127
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Philadelphia2.34 miles away4216 Market Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19104Dialysis Stations: 34 (215) 662-5990
- Davita Renal Center of Philadelphia, LLC2.35 miles away5630 Chestnut St., 2nd Flr Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19139Dialysis Stations: 24 (215) 476-8301