Signature Healthcare of Norfolk is one of eight available nursing homes in Norfolk, Virginia. We gave this nursing home an overall grade of F. Norfolk received a city grade of C, so there are other options in the city worth considering. Finally, inspections was the lone shining light in this nursing home's profile. We provide additional information about this category below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Signature Healthcare of Norfolk
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Norfolk senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall score was as bad as it gets, it fared pretty well in the category of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of B for that area, which is one of our better scores. These inspection ratings take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Although this facility had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. A couple minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's second highest category is short-term care, but even there it received just a D in that category. This still happens to be a well below average score. Short-term care scores are meaningful for individuals requiring rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually utilizes higher levels of highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes a vast spectrum of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Considering its abysmal grade in this category, we weren't shocked to discover that this facility provides substantially fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than most other facilities. The last measure we assessed in this category is the number of patients who returned home from the nursing home. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 4.8 percent of its patients returning home.
Does this page answer your questions about Signature Healthcare of Norfolk?
Turning to the area of nursing care, this facility received a grade of just D in this category. Nursing ratings are based largely on nurse staffing levels. With only 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident daily, this nursing home's nurse staffing levels were far below the national average. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing grades. This facility fared well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these metrics to be good measures of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we scored is long-term care, in which this nursing home was given a rock bottom score in this area also. We gave it an F for this category, which is obviously somewhat alarming. For long-term care residents, the nursing home's primary objective is to maintain residents' quality of life and keep them safe. In addition to looking at the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 98.87133 percent of its residents, which is more than the average nursing home. Surprisingly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home has fewer hospitalizations than most nursing homes. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Signature Healthcare of Norfolk Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Signature Healthcare of Norfolk, 9.3% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure indicates the percent of long-term patients which suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a reliable indicator of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Signature Healthcare of Norfolk, 2.93% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term care residents who have suffered falls resulting in serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be a sign of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Signature Healthcare of Norfolk, 1.16% of Patients had UTIs
This gauges the percent of long-term care patients who had urinary tract infections. UTI's may be an indication of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this datapoint could be skewed for certain nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Signature Healthcare of Norfolk, 16.94% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are administered to residents for a variety of medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Sadly, in some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Signature Healthcare of Norfolk, 24.71% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients which were given antianxiety medication. These medications are generally used to treat residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Signature Healthcare of Norfolk, 0.95% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who are exhibiting signs of depression. Increased rates of depression could be a sign a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Signature Healthcare of Norfolk, 98.64% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home patients, making these vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Signature Healthcare of Norfolk, 14.29% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of erosion of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Signature Healthcare of Norfolk, 15.84% of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term residents who retained mobility levels. Some experts believe that the ability to move around is important for patients health.
In Signature Healthcare of Norfolk, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Signature Healthcare of Norfolk, 15.84% of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Signature Healthcare of Norfolk, 12.53% of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Signature Healthcare of Norfolk, 74.17% of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Norfolk, VA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Norfolk, Virginia has 7 other nursing homes
- Childrens Hospital of the Kings Daughters IncChildrens 0.25 miles away601 Children's Lane Norfolk Virginia 23507Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 668-9647
- Sentara Norfolk General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.44 miles away600 Gresham Dr Norfolk Virginia 23507Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 388-3000
- Nmc PortsmouthAcute Care - Department of Defense 1.56 miles away620 John Paul Jones Circle Portsmouth Virginia 23708Department of Defense(757) 953-5008
- Bon Secours Depaul Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.57 miles away150 Kingsley Lane Norfolk Virginia 23505Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 889-5000
- Bon Secours Maryview Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.33 miles away3636 High Street Portsmouth Virginia 23707Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 398-2200
- Sentara Leigh HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.08 miles away830 Kempsville Road Norfolk Virginia 23502Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 261-6700
- Chesapeake General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.78 miles away736 Battlefield Blvd, North Chesapeake Virginia 23320Government - Hospital District or Authority(757) 312-8121
- Sentara Careplex HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.08 miles away3000 Coliseum Drive Hampton Virginia 23666Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 736-1000
- Bma - Greater Norfolk0.64 miles away(Granby Dialysis) 1902 Omohundro Ave Norfolk Virginia 23517CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (757) 622-4935
- Midtowne Norfolk Dialysis0.65 miles away2201 Colonial Ave Norfolk Virginia 23517CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (757) 626-3111
- Childrens Hospital of Kings Daughters0.73 miles awayPediatric Dialysis Ctr 601 Childrens Ln Norfolk Virginia 23507Dialysis Stations: 8 (757) 668-8151
- Rai - Goode Way-Portsmouth2.01 miles away311 Goode Way Portsmouth Virginia 23704CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (757) 393-6582
- Portsmouth Dialysis Center2.49 miles away2000 High St Portsmouth Virginia 23704CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (757) 397-4300
- Tidewater Renal Dialysis Center2.8 miles away5623 Tidewater Dr Norfolk Virginia 23509CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (757) 855-2186
- Davita - Greater Portsmouth2.99 miles awayDialysis Unit 3516 Queen St Portsmouth Virginia 23707CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (757) 397-2806
- Norfolk Dialysis Center3.74 miles away962 Norfolk Sq Norfolk Virginia 23502CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (757) 461-0501