Sierra Winds is a small non-profit nursing home located in Peoria, Arizona. This facility received an A- overall, which is very favorable grade. You really can't do much better than this nursing home. Keep reading to see this nursing home's category ratings, which are also quite good. It would be hard to find any major flaws in this facility's profile.
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
17300 North 88th Ave,
Peoria AZ 85382
73.33% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
On top of receiving a great overall score, this facility excelled in inspections, which is based on its recent inspection reports. In fact, we awarded it an A for that category. Perhaps the most important factor we consider in computing our inspection scores is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Facilities with higher grades in this area typically avoided the more severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. Although this facility had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were serious based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
To complement its dominant performance in other areas, we gave this facility a grade of A for our long-term care rating. Facilities that do well in long-term care tend to be well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to residents. In addition to elite nursing hour statistics, this nursing home's vaccination statistics is top notch as well. Indeed, it vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia. This combination proved to be effective as this place was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Sierra Winds?
Among its many impressive grades, this facility received an excellent nursing grade. In fact, we gave it a grade of A- in that category. Our nursing category consists of many components, most of which are based on nursing hours. This facility provides an incredible 4.2 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Out of this total, many of those hours were provided by registered nurses, which is one of the more highly trained levels of nurses. On top of providing impressive levels of nursing care, this place also excelled in the quality-based metrics we assessed. For example, it performed as well as any nursing home in the nation in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We look at these areas as reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care provided.
Short-term Care Quality
In our last area, we awarded this facility an A for its short-term care grade. This wrapped up a very favorable report card. In computing our short-term care scores, we assess the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our purpose is to create a measure for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various facilities. This facility is above the national average in terms of both its quantity of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its residents. The final item we looked at in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community. This facility was better than average with 55.2 percent of its patients returning home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Sierra Winds Quality Metrics
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Sierra Winds, 2.27% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injuries are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of nursing care . Major falls resulting in injury are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Sierra Winds, 1.6% of Patients had UTIs
This gauges the percentage of long-term residents that have sustained a UTI. UTI's may be an indicator of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this datapoint can also be skewed for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Sierra Winds, 11.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are administered to patients for many conditions, including cognitive disorders. Unfortunately, in some cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Sierra Winds, 2.89% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who are exhibiting signs of depression. Many argue this is a reliable measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Sierra Winds, 82.88% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Sierra Winds, 10.98 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Sierra Winds, 73.79% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Peoria, AZ
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Peoria, Arizona has 5 other nursing homes
- Abrazo Arrowhead CampusAcute Care Hospitals 2.78 miles away18701 North 67th Avenue Glendale Arizona 85308Proprietary(623) 561-1000
- Banner Boswell Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.17 miles away10401 West Thunderbird Boulevard Sun City Arizona 85351Voluntary non-profit - Other(623) 832-4000
- Banner Thunderbird Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.57 miles away5555 West Thunderbird Road Glendale Arizona 85306Government - Hospital District or Authority(602) 865-4470
- Banner Del E. Webb Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.23 miles away14502 West Meeker Boulevard Sun City West Arizona 85375Voluntary non-profit - Private(623) 524-4000
- Honorhealth Deer Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.74 miles away19829 North 27th Avenue Phoenix Arizona 85027Voluntary non-profit - Private(623) 879-6100
- Banner Estrella Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.15 miles away9201 West Thomas Road Phoenix Arizona 85037Voluntary non-profit - Private(623) 327-4000
- John C. Lincoln North Mountain HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.52 miles away250 East Dunlap Avenue Phoenix Arizona 85020Voluntary non-profit - Private(602) 331-5862
- Abrazo Central CampusAcute Care Hospitals 11.79 miles away2000 West Bethany Home Road Phoenix Arizona 85015Physician(602) 249-0212
- Sweetwater Ridge Dialysis (Dva)2.14 miles away7362 W Thunderbird Rd Suite 104 Peoria Arizona 85381Dialysis Stations: 20 (623) 486-0327
- Phoenix Artificial Kidney Center (Fmc)2.61 miles away13090 N 94th Dr Ste 100 Peoria Arizona 85381CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (623) 974-5851
- Sun City Dialysis (Fmc)2.67 miles away10050 W Bell Rd Ste 29-31 Sun City Arizona 85351Dialysis Stations: 12 (623) 815-1770
- Palm Brook Dialysis Center (Dva)2.93 miles away14664 N Del Webb Blvd Sun City Arizona 85351CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (623) 583-6550
- Desert Dialysis Srvs Inc-Sun City (Dva)3.55 miles away13000 N 103rd Ave Ste 66 Sun City Arizona 85351CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (623) 583-3131
- Arrowhead Dialysis (Fmc)4.07 miles away16844 N 59th Ave Glendale Arizona 85306Dialysis Stations: 13 (602) 439-8200
- Sun City West Dialysis (Fmc)4.35 miles away12213 W Bell Road Ste 110 Surprise Arizona 85374Dialysis Stations: 18 (623) 583-8865
- Thunderbird Dialysis (Fmc)4.38 miles away5750 W Thunderbird Rd Bldg G #750 Glendale Arizona 85306CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (602) 439-9502