Shoreline Healthcare Center is a small facility located in Long Beach, California. This is a fine nursing home. We gave it an overall grade of B, which is a quality rating. Even in a city offering 26 other nursing homes, this facility looks like a perfectly acceptable option. If you scroll down, you will see this nursing home's category ratings, which are also impressive.
Shoreline Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to earning a strong overall score, this nursing home fared well in short-term care. We awarded it an impressive grade of A- for that category, which is one of our highest scores. In the area of short-term care, we endeavor to qualify indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. However, based on the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last metric we considered in this category is the number of residents that who were able to eventually return home from the nursing home. We found that 5.4 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
This facility also excelled in the area of inspections. In fact, we gave it a grade of B+ for that category, which is one of our highest grades. This is one of the few facilities with an overall score in this range which received multiple category grades this high. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing our inspection grades. One key factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some end up being quite minor. While this facility had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G through L. This means the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A few minor deficiencies are not necessarily something to panic about.
Does this page answer your questions about Shoreline Healthcare Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility received an impressive long-term care grade as well. We awarded it one of our better scores in that category with a score of B. Nursing homes that do well in long-term care typically provide residents with better supervision and stay on top of routine medical care. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia tragically can be a life or death illness for nursing home patients so we strongly prefer when a facility does not take any chances. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
The last category we rated was nursing, where we awarded it a strong grade of B. This facility truly does not have any weak areas. There are a variety of data points included in this category. Many of these data points are tied to nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Shoreline Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Shoreline Healthcare Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Shoreline Healthcare Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term residents which suffered a fall which resulted in severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be a sign of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Shoreline Healthcare Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely linked to worse hygiene protocols. Closer supervision can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this statistic is affected by by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Shoreline Healthcare Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are given to patients for a variety of medical conditions, such as dementia. Unfortunately, in limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Shoreline Healthcare Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term care patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Shoreline Healthcare Center, 4.64% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who are demonstrating signs of depression. Higher levels of depression could be a sign lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Shoreline Healthcare Center, 95.44% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Shoreline Healthcare Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and taking a bath. Some experts believe that this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Shoreline Healthcare Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Shoreline Healthcare Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is key to the physical health of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Shoreline Healthcare Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Shoreline Healthcare Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Shoreline Healthcare Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many argue this is a measure of rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Long Beach, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Long Beach, California has 25 other nursing homes
- St Mary Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.41 miles away1050 Linden Ave Long Beach California 90813Voluntary non-profit - Church(562) 491-9000
- College Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.32 miles away2776 Pacific Avenue Long Beach California 90806Proprietary(562) 595-1911
- Los Alamitos Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.63 miles away3751 Katella Avenue Los Alamitos California 90720Proprietary(562) 799-3220
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.38 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- West Anaheim Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.01 miles away3033 W Orange Avenue Anaheim California 92804Proprietary(714) 827-3000
- Coast Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.29 miles away13100 Studerbaker Road Norwalk California 90650Proprietary(310) 356-0550
- Lac/Harbor-Ucla Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.31 miles away1000 W Carson St Torrance California 90502Government - Local(310) 222-2101
- Pih Hospital - DowneyAcute Care Hospitals 10.58 miles away11500 Brookshire Avenue Downey California 90241Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 904-5000
- u.s. Renal Care West Coast Dialysis1.72 miles away3780 Kilroy Airport Way, Suite 110 Long Beach California 90806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (562) 989-3010
- Davita-El Dorado Dialysis1.93 miles away2977 Redondo Avenue Long Beach California 90806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (562) 988-3418
- Davita-Long Beach Harbor (Ucla) Dialysis Center2.02 miles away1075 E. Pacific Coast Highway Long Beach California 90806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (562) 599-1511
- u.s. Renal Care Long Beach Dialysis2.32 miles away1045 Atlantic Avenue, Suite 108 Long Beach California 90813CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (562) 435-3637
- Fmc-Long Beach3.18 miles away440 W. Ocean Blvd. Long Beach California 90802CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (562) 432-4444
- Long Beach Quest Dialysis Center3.38 miles away3140 Long Beach Blvd. Long Beach California 90807CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (562) 988-8866
- Davita-Lakewood Dialysis Center4.55 miles away4611 Silva Street Lakewood California 90712CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (562) 633-7441
- Davita-United Dialysis Center4.56 miles away3111 Long Beach Blvd. Long Beach California 90807CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (562) 426-5155