Shields Richmond Nursing Center is a nursing home in Richmond, California, which has a total of 81,602 people. This proved to be an A+ rated facility, which is the top rating that we offer. We could not find many negative things to say about this place. Its grades are impeccable. Finally, this appears to be a very consistent nursing home with consistent scores in all of the major categories. More information about these categories is available below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Shields Richmond Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Richmond senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
To pair with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for its nursing grade. Facilities that excel in long-term care tend to be well-staffed and offer extensive hands on care to patients. Once we assessed the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is far higher than the average nursing home. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
This facility also excelled in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of A. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. In computing our nursing grades, we factor in both staffing levels and the training levels of those nurses. This nursing home averages 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Shields Richmond Nursing Center?
In addition, this facility also received a nearly flawless government inspection report. It received one of our highest grades in that category with a score of A. Inspection scores take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Although this facility had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were serious based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
In the final category we assessed, this nursing home was awarded a very strong grade of A in our short-term care category. With this score, the facility wrapped up a straight A profile. In our short-term care assessment, we seek to forge a sound measure for rehabilitation services. In this process, we analyze the facility's offerings of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of patients who returned home from this nursing home. We found that 5.9 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Shields Richmond Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Shields Richmond Nursing Center, 2.92% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often the result of residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Shields Richmond Nursing Center, 0% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients that suffered from a fall resulting in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Shields Richmond Nursing Center, 0% of Patients had UTIs
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. Although more of these infections may reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it is difficult to compare different facilities due to nursing homes having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Shields Richmond Nursing Center, 10.92% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This gauges the percentage of long-term patients receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Shields Richmond Nursing Center, 3.37% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are given to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Shields Richmond Nursing Center, 0% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. Many in the industry argue this is a reliable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Shields Richmond Nursing Center, 100% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Shields Richmond Nursing Center, 5.56% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and bathing. Some experts would argue this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Shields Richmond Nursing Center, 6.36% of Residents
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who remained mobile levels.
In Shields Richmond Nursing Center, 0.03 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is important to maintaining the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Shields Richmond Nursing Center, 6.36% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Shields Richmond Nursing Center, 17.97% of Patients
This is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Shields Richmond Nursing Center, 84.7% of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts believe that this is a measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
- Alta Bates Summit Medical Center - Alta Bates CampAcute Care Hospitals 7.04 miles away2450 Ashby Avenue Berkeley California 94705Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 204-4444
- Children's Hospital & Research Center OaklandChildrens 7.67 miles away747 52nd Street Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 428-3000
- Alta Bates Summit Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.76 miles away350 Hawthorne Avenue Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 655-4000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Oakland/RichmondAcute Care Hospitals 8.76 miles away275 West Macarthur Boulevard Oakland California 94611Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 752-1000
- Chinese HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.48 miles away845 Jackson St San Francisco California 94133Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 982-2400
- Saint Francis Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.02 miles away900 Hyde St San Francisco California 94109Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 353-6000
- Marinhealth Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.19 miles away250 Bon Air Road, PO Box 8010 Greenbrae California 94904Government - Local(415) 925-7900
- California Pacific Medical Center- Van Ness CampusAcute Care Hospitals 10.32 miles away1101 Van Ness Avenue San Francisco California 94109Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 600-6000
- Davita Richmond Dialysis0.78 miles away4200 Macdonald Ave., Ste A Richmond California 94805CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 236-8861
- El Cerrito Dialysis Center2.1 miles away10690 San Pablo Avenue El Cerrito California 94530CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (510) 528-9590
- San Pablo Dialysis Center2.4 miles away14020 San Pablo Avenue San Pablo California 94806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (510) 234-0835
- Davita El Sobrante4.6 miles away3380 San Pablo Dam Rd Ste. C-D El Sobrante California 94803CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (510) 262-9230
- Us Renal Care Berkeley6.03 miles away2895 7th Street Berkeley California 94710Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 843-0627
- Berkeley Dialysis Center6.47 miles away2655 Shattuck Ave Berkeley California 94704CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (510) 486-8706
- Wellbound of Emeryville6.7 miles away2000 Powell Street Suite 140 Emeryville California 94608Dialysis Stations: 4 (510) 985-9660
- Oakland Dialysis Center7.8 miles away5354 Claremont Avenue Oakland California 94618CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (510) 597-0104