Sherwood Healthcare Center is in Sacramento, California. The city has a variety of options. We awarded this facility an overall grade of B-. A grade of this caliber requires some decent scores. You can certainly do worse than this facility. One of the major highlights of this facility's profile is its exemplary inspection reports, which is addressed in the next section.
Sherwood Healthcare Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
4700 Elvas Ave,
Sacramento CA 95819
97.9% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home earned a solid overall grade as described above, but we really wanted to point out its nearly flawless government inspection reports in recent years. We awarded them an A in this category. Arguably the most critical factor we look at in calculating our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Facilities with better scores in this area most likely avoided the most severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. While this facility had a few deficiencies on its report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. Remember that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in the industry.
Short-term Care Quality
In addition, we also would like to draw your attention to the fact that this facility was given strong short-term care marks in this assessment. We awarded them one of our higher scores in this area, with a grade of B. This turned out to be the facility's second strongest grade. Short-term care ratings are important for prospective residents looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically requires more skilled nursing. This includes a vast range of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. This nursing home employs both physical therapists and registered nurses. Not all facilities employ these skilled professionals. Finally, we assessed the number of residents who ultimately were able to return home from this facility. It performed better than most nursing homes with 52.8 percent of its residents returning home.
Does this page answer your questions about Sherwood Healthcare Center?
One of this facility's better category grades was in the area of nursing care. In that area, we gave this facility a grade of B-. Our nursing rating focuses on the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. We consider both the levels of licensure of the nurses and the amount of time spent with patients. Based on the data, it looks like this place provides an impressive 4 hours per resident daily. This is more nursing care than most nursing homes provide. In calculating our grades, we apply more weight to hours performed by more highly trained nurses such as registered or licensed nurses. Finally, our nursing score also includes some applicable quality-based measures. While this nursing home excelled in terms of quantity of nursing hours, it lagged a bit in some of the subcategories that focused on quality. This place's nursing grade was hurt by its weak performance in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers. We found that 13.5 percent of this facility's patients suffered from pressure ulcers. Since many pressure ulcers could be avoided with sufficient nursing protocols, we reduce a nursing home's nursing grade when we find this kind of frequency of pressure ulcers.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we graded was long-term care. We awarded this facility a grade of D in long-term care, rendering this the nursing home's weakest area. For prospective residents looking for a permanent place to live as opposed to skilled nursing, long-term care is a very important category. With a long-term care grade in this range, it is surprising to discover that this facility received good marks in both nursing hours and its vaccination records. Indeed, this facility gave the pneumonia vaccine to 99.36709 percent of its patients. This figure is higher than the majority of nursing homes. To our surprise, this nursing home also was not as bad as we expected at keeping its patients out of the hospital. While it had 2.15 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, its risk adjusted score was not bad due to it having some more complex patients.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Sherwood Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Sherwood Healthcare Center, 7.63% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is an indication of the percent of long-term patients which have pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a reliable measure of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Sherwood Healthcare Center, 1.66% of Patients had Serious Falls
This gauges the percentage of long-term residents who experienced falls which resulted in serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Sherwood Healthcare Center, 1.19% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay residents who suffered from a UTI. While more infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it is difficult to compare between facilities due to facilities having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Sherwood Healthcare Center, 9.98% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are administered to patients for many medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Unfortunately, in limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Sherwood Healthcare Center, 13.87% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term care patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Sherwood Healthcare Center, 4.32% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Sherwood Healthcare Center, 96.21% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Sherwood Healthcare Center, 8.35% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of decline of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Sherwood Healthcare Center, 14.01% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In Sherwood Healthcare Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Sherwood Healthcare Center, 14.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Sherwood Healthcare Center, 9.82 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Sherwood Healthcare Center, 79.69% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Sacramento, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Sacramento, California has 20 other nursing homes
- Mercy General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.99 miles away4001 J St Sacramento California 95819Voluntary non-profit - Private(916) 453-4453
- Sutter Medical Center, SacramentoAcute Care Hospitals 1.75 miles away2825 Capitol Avenue Sacramento California 95816Voluntary non-profit - Private(916) 733-8999
- University of California Davis Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.98 miles away2315 Stockton Boulevard Sacramento California 95817Voluntary non-profit - Other(916) 734-2011
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - SacramentoAcute Care Hospitals 2.95 miles away2025 Morse Avenue Sacramento California 95825Voluntary non-profit - Private(916) 973-5000
- Heritage Oaks HospitalPsychiatric 5.93 miles away4250 Auburn Blvd Sacramento California 95841Proprietary(916) 489-3336
- Kaiser Foundation Hosp So SacramentoAcute Care Hospitals 7.54 miles away6600 Bruceville Road Sacramento California 95823Voluntary non-profit - Private(916) 688-2000
- Methodist Hospital of SacramentoAcute Care Hospitals 8.11 miles away7500 Hospital Drive Sacramento California 95823Voluntary non-profit - Private(916) 423-6010
- Mercy San Juan Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.07 miles away6501 Coyle Ave Carmichael California 95608Voluntary non-profit - Other(916) 537-5000
- University Dialysis Center1.38 miles away333 University Avenue Suite 100 Sacramento California 95825CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (916) 920-0877
- North Sacramento Dialysis Center1.63 miles away251 Lathrop Way Suite A Sacramento California 95815CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (916) 922-4721
- Alhambra Dialysis Center1.64 miles away1315 Alhambra Blvd #100 Sacramento California 95816CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (916) 457-8252
- Dci University Dialysis Clinic1.77 miles away1771 Stockton Blvd Sacramento California 95816CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (916) 453-0803
- Broadway Dialysis2.11 miles away2624 Stockton Boulevard Sacramento California 95817CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 34 (916) 457-0113
- Wellbound of Sacramento5.03 miles away2610 El Paseo Lane Suite f19 Sacramento California 95821Dialysis Stations: 4 (916) 486-8005
- Satellite Healthcare Sacramento5.18 miles away646 N. Market Blvd Sacramento California 95834CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (916) 437-5800
- Florin Dialysis Center5.6 miles away7000 Stockton Blvd. Sacramento California 95823CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (916) 424-3990