Sherwood Healthcare Center is a small facility in Sacramento, California. This nursing home was awarded an overall grade of C, which is a respectable score. You could certainly do worse than this facility. The best part of this nursing home's report card is its stellar inspection score. We discuss inspections in the next paragraph.
Sherwood Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
4700 Elvas Ave,
Sacramento CA 95819
101.77% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Catheter Care
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a respectable nursing home overall, this place also excelled in the category of inspections, where it received an A. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating our inspection scores. One key factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more important than the number of deficiencies, as some are quite minor. While this place had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A few minor deficiencies shouldn't lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's second most favorable area is long-term care. We awarded it a C in this category. This is basically a middle of the pack grade in this category. Long-term care grades assess a nursing home's assistance with daily living rather than the highly skilled therapy and medical services that are critical to a rehabilitation facility. On top of considering the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 98.765434 percent of its patients, which is more than the vast majority of nursing homes. This nursing home keeps its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Sherwood Healthcare Center?
Moving on to another strength for this facility, it also received an elite nursing score. We gave this facility an D. Nursing ratings are heavily correlated with nurse staffing levels. With only 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis, this nursing home's nurse staffing levels were quite a bit below average. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing ratings. This place performed well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these metrics to be measures of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
The last category we looked at is short-term care, turned out to be this facility's least impressive category. We gave this nursing home a D in that category. In forming our short-term care ratings, we quantify the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The purpose is to create a barometer for comparing the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. With a grade this poor in this category, we weren't shocked to find that this facility was below average in the two key staffing figures we looked at. It provided significantly fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than most nursing homes. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. This definitely was not a strength for this nursing home. We found that just 4.5 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most facilities, around half of their patients are able to return home so this is well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Sherwood Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Sherwood Healthcare Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Sherwood Healthcare Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents that suffered from a fall which resulted in major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Sherwood Healthcare Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This figure tells you the percent of long-term care patients who suffered from urinary tract infections. Although more of these infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it is difficult to compare between nursing homes due to nursing homes having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Sherwood Healthcare Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term patients receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Sherwood Healthcare Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term care patients receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Sherwood Healthcare Center, 4.64% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Sherwood Healthcare Center, 95.44% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Sherwood Healthcare Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Sherwood Healthcare Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Sherwood Healthcare Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Sherwood Healthcare Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Sherwood Healthcare Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Sherwood Healthcare Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts believe that this is a measure of rehabilitation services.
Scores for Sacramento, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Sacramento, California has 21 other nursing homes
- Mercy General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.99 miles away4001 J St Sacramento California 95819Voluntary non-profit - Private(916) 453-4453
- Sutter Medical Center, SacramentoAcute Care Hospitals 1.75 miles away2825 Capitol Avenue Sacramento California 95816Voluntary non-profit - Private(916) 733-8999
- University of California Davis Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.98 miles away2315 Stockton Boulevard Sacramento California 95817Voluntary non-profit - Other(916) 734-2011
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - SacramentoAcute Care Hospitals 2.95 miles away2025 Morse Avenue Sacramento California 95825Voluntary non-profit - Private(916) 973-5000
- Heritage Oaks HospitalPsychiatric 5.93 miles away4250 Auburn Blvd Sacramento California 95841Proprietary(916) 489-3336
- Kaiser Foundation Hosp So SacramentoAcute Care Hospitals 7.54 miles away6600 Bruceville Road Sacramento California 95823Voluntary non-profit - Private(916) 688-2000
- Methodist Hospital of SacramentoAcute Care Hospitals 8.11 miles away7500 Hospital Drive Sacramento California 95823Voluntary non-profit - Private(916) 423-6010
- Mercy San Juan Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.07 miles away6501 Coyle Ave Carmichael California 95608Voluntary non-profit - Other(916) 537-5000
- University Dialysis Center1.38 miles away333 University Avenue Suite 100 Sacramento California 95825CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (916) 920-0877
- North Sacramento Dialysis Center1.63 miles away251 Lathrop Way Suite A Sacramento California 95815CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (916) 922-4721
- Alhambra Dialysis Center1.64 miles away1315 Alhambra Blvd #100 Sacramento California 95816CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (916) 457-8252
- Dci University Dialysis Clinic1.77 miles away1771 Stockton Blvd Sacramento California 95816CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (916) 453-0803
- Broadway Dialysis2.11 miles away2624 Stockton Boulevard Sacramento California 95817CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 34 (916) 457-0113
- Wellbound of Sacramento5.03 miles away2610 El Paseo Lane Suite f19 Sacramento California 95821Dialysis Stations: 4 (916) 486-8005
- Satellite Healthcare Sacramento5.18 miles away646 N. Market Blvd Sacramento California 95834CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (916) 437-5800
- Florin Dialysis Center5.6 miles away7000 Stockton Blvd. Sacramento California 95823CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (916) 424-3990