Sherrill House is one of just a few available nursing homes located in Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts. With an A+ overall grade, we ranked this nursing home in the top five percent of all facilities in the United States. In our view, this facility would be a great choice for just about anybody. One of the best aspects of this facility's exemplary report card is its long-term care rating. We discuss long-term care in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Jamaica Plain senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Massachusetts Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Massachusetts Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
On top of being a first rate facility overall, this facility also performed well in the area of long-term care, where it received an A+. Few facilities fared better in this category. When facilities receive this type of score in this category it is typically a good sign for resident care and suggests that the facility is well-staffed with nurses aids. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients. Vaccines are vital to keeping residents healthy. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
This facility has also received near flawless health inspections in recent years. We awarded them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. Perhaps the most important factor we consider in calculating our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Nursing homes with better scores in this category most likely dodged the more severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Sherrill House?
Among its many impressive grades, this facility received an excellent nursing grade. In fact, we gave it a grade of A in that category. We analyzed the skill-level of nurses at the nursing home, in addition to the quantity of hours the nurses were with residents, in calculating our score in this area. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to our final category, this facility was given an extremely favorable short-term care grade. In fact, we gave it an A in that area, rounding out a straight A profile. Short-term care ratings are based in part on a facility's quantity of skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This includes a wide scope of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, not to mention other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we considered the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 5.6 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Sherrill House Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Sherrill House, 6.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Sherrill House, 3.77% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are often linked to poor nursing care. Better nursing care can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Sherrill House, 2.05% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Sherrill House, 19.24% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to patients for many medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Unfortunately, in limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Sherrill House, 18.54% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are given to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Sherrill House, 2.48% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Some would argue this is a measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Sherrill House, 91.39% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Sherrill House, 16.21% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Sherrill House, 15.75% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who maintained mobility. Many in the industry believe that mobility is vital to patients physical and mental health.
In Sherrill House, 1.68 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Sherrill House, 15.75 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Sherrill House, 11.2 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Sherrill House, 71.52% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term residents that saw functional improvements.
- Brigham and Women's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.58 miles away75 Francis Street Boston Massachusetts 02115Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 732-5500
- Boston Children's HospitalChildrens 0.75 miles away300 Longwood Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02115Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 735-6000
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.93 miles away330 Brookline Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02215Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 667-7000
- Boston Medical Center Corporation-Acute Care Hospitals 1.9 miles away1 Boston Medical Center Place Boston Massachusetts 02118Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 638-8000
- Brigham and Women's Faulkner HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.09 miles away1153 Centre Street Jamaica Plain Massachusetts 02130Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 983-7000
- St Elizabeth's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.4 miles away736 Cambridge Street Brighton Massachusetts 02135Proprietary(617) 789-3000
- Tufts Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.83 miles away800 Washington Street Boston Massachusetts 02111Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 636-5000
- Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary -Acute Care Hospitals 3.2 miles away243 Charles Street Boston Massachusetts 02114Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 523-7900
- Davita Brookline Dialysis0.6 miles away322 Washington Street Brookline Massachusetts 02445CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (617) 734-7794
- Dci Brigham/Faulkner1.3 miles awayDci Brigham/Faulkner 1153 Centre Street, Belkin House Jamaica Plain Massachusetts 02130CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 983-4470
- Brigham and Women's Hospital1.36 miles awayDialysis Unit 75 Francis Street Boston Massachusetts 02115Dialysis Stations: 7 (617) 732-6130
- Children's Hospital Boston1.36 miles awayDialysis Unit, Farley Four 300 Longwood Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02115Dialysis Stations: 7 (617) 355-7631
- Kidney Center1.59 miles away888 Commonwealth Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02215CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 739-3000
- Mary Eliza Mahoney Dialysis Center (Bma of Massachusetts)1.62 miles away416 Warren Street Roxbury Massachusetts 02119CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (617) 445-9989
- Davita Boston Dialysis2.15 miles awayDialysis Unit 660 Harrison Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02118CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (617) 859-7000
- Saint Elizabeth's Medical Center of Boston2.89 miles awayDialysis Unit - Ccp 7 736 Cambridge Street Brighton Massachusetts 02135Dialysis Stations: 17 (617) 789-2592