Shenango Presbyterian Seniorcare is in New Wilmington, Pennsylvania, a city with a total of 7,056 people. This is an A+ facility, which is the most impressive grade. We can not find many negative things to say about this nursing home. Its scores are as good as they get. This nursing home also received phenomenal ratings in all four of our categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Shenango Presbyterian Seniorcare
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Contracted Memory Care
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on New Wilmington senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in New Wilmington, Pennsylvania Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in New Wilmington, Pennsylvania Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a quality nursing home is that it received an A+ inspection grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this critical category. Inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these issues by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Fortunately, although this place had a few minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you CMS did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
This first-rate facility also excelled in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of A+. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Our nursing score is mostly based on a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as employing a system of moving a resident more frequently.
Does this page answer your questions about Shenango Presbyterian Seniorcare?
Short-term Care Quality
We also wanted to draw your attention to the fact that this facility was awarded a top-shelf grade of A in our short-term care category. Short-term care ratings are meaningful for people needing rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically mandates higher levels of skilled nursing services. This includes a broad range of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. However, according to the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 5.9 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we graded was long-term care, where this facility was given a grade of A. This finished off an elite profile. Few facilities received an A- or better in in each area we assessed. For prospective patients in need of a permanent residence rather than rehabilitation, long-term care grades are an important measure. In addition to considering the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 80 percent of its patients, which is slightly less than we anticipated. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we like to see, we were pleased to find facility was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Shenango Presbyterian Seniorcare Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Shenango Presbyterian Seniorcare, 7.14% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents which suffered from pressure ulcers . We consider this statistic when determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Shenango Presbyterian Seniorcare, 0% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls are often the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Shenango Presbyterian Seniorcare, 2.2% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes linked to poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Shenango Presbyterian Seniorcare, 4.21% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure measures the percent of long-term care patients taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Shenango Presbyterian Seniorcare, 24.39% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are commonly given to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Shenango Presbyterian Seniorcare, 0% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Shenango Presbyterian Seniorcare, 85.28% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Shenango Presbyterian Seniorcare, 8.54% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Shenango Presbyterian Seniorcare, 11.12% of Residents
This is the percent of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Shenango Presbyterian Seniorcare, 11.12% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Shenango Presbyterian Seniorcare, 16.47% of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Shenango Presbyterian Seniorcare, 68.81% of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Upmc JamesonAcute Care Hospitals 7.5 miles away1211 Wilmington Avenue New Castle Pennsylvania 16105Voluntary non-profit - Other(724) 656-4100
- Sharon Regional Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 11.42 miles away740 East State Street Sharon Pennsylvania 16146Proprietary(724) 983-3800
- Grove City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.43 miles away631 North Broad Street Ext. Grove City Pennsylvania 16127Voluntary non-profit - Private(724) 450-7000
- Mh St Elizabeth Youngstown HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.7 miles away1044 Belmont Avenue Youngstown Ohio 44501Voluntary non-profit - Church(330) 480-3962
- Ellwood City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.67 miles away724 Pershing Street Ellwood City Pennsylvania 16117Proprietary(724) 752-0081
- Mh St Elizabeth Boardman HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.26 miles away8401 Market Street Youngstown Ohio 44512Voluntary non-profit - Church(330) 729-2929
- Fresenius Kidney Care - New Castle7.79 miles away207 West Laurel Avenue New Castle Pennsylvania 16101CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (724) 658-1216
- New Castle Dialysis Center8.51 miles away100 South Jefferson Street, Suite 187 New Castle Pennsylvania 16101Dialysis Stations: 16 (724) 652-2585
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Hermitage9.05 miles away3036 Innovation Way Hermitage Pennsylvania 16148CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (724) 981-1328
- Dci of Shenango Valley10.49 miles away737 Brookshire Drive Hermitage Pennsylvania 16148Dialysis Stations: 19 (724) 342-3040
- Dci of Grove City12.94 miles away631 North Broad Street Extension Grove City Pennsylvania 16127Dialysis Stations: 12 (724) 458-0877
- Boardman Dialysis Center, LLC16.78 miles away7153 Tiffany Blvd. Youngstown Ohio 44514CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (330) 729-1355
- Fmc - Youngstown16.81 miles away1340 Belmont Avenue Youngstown Ohio 44504CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (330) 746-2860
- Youngstown - Warren Home Dialysis17.31 miles away4531 Belmont Ave. Youngstown Ohio 44505Dialysis Stations: 3 (330) 759-3807