Shelby Ridge Nursing Home is a large nursing home in Alabaster, Alabama. This facility was awarded an A- overall, which is one of the top grades that we offer. A grade of this caliber requires superb scores across the board. We were so impressed with this facility that we ranked it in the top 20 percent of all facilities in the nation. As you will see below, this facility also performed just fine in our category grades. It's hard to poke holes in this nursing home's profile.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Shelby Ridge Nursing Home
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Alabaster senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in Alabaster, Alabama Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Alabama Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Alabaster, Alabama Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Alabama Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in Alabaster, Alabama Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this nursing home earned near flawless government inspections in recent years. We gave them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. Arguably the most critical factor we consider in determining our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes with higher grades in this area most likely dodged the most severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. While this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its report, none of them were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. A couple relatively minor dings aren't something to panic about.
Long-term Care Quality
Among its many elite scores, this nursing home received first-rate long-term care grade. In fact, it received a score of A- in this area. Long-term care scores of this caliber generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. One of the factors we considered on top of nursing hours is vaccinations. This nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccination to 94.318184 percent of its patients. This is a proven method to minimize unnecessary hospitalizations for the senior population. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Shelby Ridge Nursing Home?
This nursing home also received a very impressive nursing grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of A-. Our nursing rating is based on the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. We factor in both the levels of training of those nurses as well as the number of hours spent with patients. This facility provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
In the final category we graded, this nursing home was given a very strong grade of B+ in our short-term care category. With this grade, the nursing home topped off a very impressive report card. In crafting these short-term care grades, we analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The purpose is to devise a barometer for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various facilities. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last measure we considered in this category is the number of residents who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that 5.2 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Shelby Ridge Nursing Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Shelby Ridge Nursing Home, 10.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Shelby Ridge Nursing Home, 3.18% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are routinely the result of poor nursing care. Better nursing care can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Shelby Ridge Nursing Home, 2.76% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents that sustained a UTI. UTI's could be an indication of a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this statistic may be skewed for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Shelby Ridge Nursing Home, 17.78% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These drugs may be used to treat several conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Shelby Ridge Nursing Home, 24.33% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term care residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Shelby Ridge Nursing Home, 0.72% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. Increased levels of depression may indicate lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Shelby Ridge Nursing Home, 95.4% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care residents that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Shelby Ridge Nursing Home, 14.78% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of decline of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Shelby Ridge Nursing Home, 16.2% of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents that remained mobile levels.
In Shelby Ridge Nursing Home, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Shelby Ridge Nursing Home, 16.2% of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Shelby Ridge Nursing Home, 8.6% of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Shelby Ridge Nursing Home, 53.56% of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry argue this is a reasonable measure of rehabilitation services.
- Shelby Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.23 miles away1000 First Street North Alabaster Alabama 35007Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 620-8100
- Medical West, an Affiliate of Uab Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 13.27 miles away995 9th Avenue Southwest Bessemer Alabama 35021Government - Hospital District or Authority(205) 481-7000
- Grandview Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.78 miles away3690 Grandview Parkway Birmingham Alabama 35243Proprietary(205) 971-1000
- Brookwood Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.78 miles away2010 Brookwood Medical Center Drive Birmingham Alabama 35209Proprietary(205) 877-1000
- Princeton Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.18 miles away701 Princeton Avenue Southwest Birmingham Alabama 35211Voluntary non-profit - Church(205) 783-3800
- Children's Hospital of AlabamaChildrens 17.4 miles away1600 Seventh Avenue South Birmingham Alabama 35233Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 939-9100
- Uab Callahan Eye Hospital AuthorityAcute Care Hospitals 17.4 miles away1720 University Blvd, Suite 500 Birmingham Alabama 35233Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 325-8100
- University of Alabama HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.6 miles away619 South 19th Street Birmingham Alabama 35233Government - State(205) 934-4011
- Fmc Shelby0.29 miles away1022 First Street North Suite 101 Alabaster Alabama 35007Dialysis Stations: 12 (205) 620-6867
- Fmc Cahaba Valley6.26 miles away120 Cahaba Valley Parkway Suite 150 Pelham Alabama 35124Dialysis Stations: 24 (205) 988-0469
- Fmc Hoover10.04 miles away2104 Lorna Ridge Lane Birmingham Alabama 35216Dialysis Stations: 12 (205) 979-3708
- Fmc Montevallo11.57 miles away3883 Highway 25 Montevallo Alabama 35115Dialysis Stations: 10 (205) 665-4440
- Fresenius Medical Care Mccalla, LLC11.81 miles away4748 Bell Hill Road Bessemer Alabama 35022Dialysis Stations: 13 (205) 424-8528
- Fresenius Medical Care Birmingham Home, LLC13.1 miles away35 West Lakeshore Drive Suite 105 Birmingham Alabama 35209Dialysis Stations: 13 (205) 290-1197
- Bessemer Kidney Center13.28 miles away975 9th Ave Sw Suite 500 Bessemer Alabama 35022Dialysis Stations: 36 (205) 424-3757
- Jewel Dialysis13.41 miles away514 W. Town Plaza Bessemer Alabama 35020CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 10 (205) 481-4386