Shelby Ridge Nursing Home is a large nursing home in Alabaster, Alabama. This facility was awarded an A- overall, which is one of the top grades that we offer. A grade of this caliber requires superb scores across the board. We were so impressed with this facility that we ranked it in the top 25 percent of all facilities in the nation. The best part of this facility's strong profile is its inspection reports. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section
Shelby Ridge Nursing Home
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this nursing home earned near flawless government inspections in recent years. We gave them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. Arguably the most critical factor we consider in determining our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes with higher grades in this area most likely dodged the most severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. While this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its report, none of them were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
We also want to note the fact that this nursing home was given a superb grade of A- in our long-term care category. If you are seeking services other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each nursing home's long-term care ratings. After looking at the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 91.42857 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is a few points less than we were hoping for but still a decent figure. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Shelby Ridge Nursing Home?
In addition, this facility also received favorable nursing grades this year. In fact, we awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of B+. Nursing scores are tied to levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to the final area, this facility received an acceptable short-term care score. While this wasn't as dominant as a few of its other grades, this is still not a terrible score. In computing our short-term care scores, we size up the nursing home's levels of skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other licensed professionals. This rating is typically a useful measure of a nursing home's ability to rehabilitate patients. Unfortunately, we weren't able to locate registered nurse or physical therapy staffing data for this place. The last datapoint we considered in this area is the number of residents that eventually returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 5.1 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home. This figure was below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Shelby Ridge Nursing Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Shelby Ridge Nursing Home, 9.14% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Shelby Ridge Nursing Home, 3.5% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are often the result of lower levels of patient supervision. Closer supervision can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Shelby Ridge Nursing Home, 3.25% of Patients had UTIs
This is an indication of the percent of long-term care residents which have had a UTI. While more infections may reflect poorly on a facility's cleanliness, it is problematic to compare between nursing homes due to nursing homes having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Shelby Ridge Nursing Home, 19.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term care patients receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Shelby Ridge Nursing Home, 23.34% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are given to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Shelby Ridge Nursing Home, 1.35% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Shelby Ridge Nursing Home, 91.96% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these types of vaccines critical to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Shelby Ridge Nursing Home, 13.45% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Shelby Ridge Nursing Home, 18.12% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents who retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Shelby Ridge Nursing Home, 1.46 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Shelby Ridge Nursing Home, 18.12 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Shelby Ridge Nursing Home, 11.48 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Shelby Ridge Nursing Home, 72.53% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry argue this is a reasonable measure of rehabilitation services.
- Shelby Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.23 miles away1000 First Street North Alabaster Alabama 35007Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 620-8100
- Medical West, an Affiliate of Uab Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 13.27 miles away995 9th Avenue Southwest Bessemer Alabama 35021Government - Hospital District or Authority(205) 481-7000
- Grandview Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.78 miles away3690 Grandview Parkway Birmingham Alabama 35243Proprietary(205) 971-1000
- Brookwood Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.78 miles away2010 Brookwood Medical Center Drive Birmingham Alabama 35209Proprietary(205) 877-1000
- Princeton Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.18 miles away701 Princeton Avenue Southwest Birmingham Alabama 35211Voluntary non-profit - Church(205) 783-3800
- Children's Hospital of AlabamaChildrens 17.4 miles away1600 Seventh Avenue South Birmingham Alabama 35233Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 939-9100
- Uab Callahan Eye Hospital AuthorityAcute Care Hospitals 17.4 miles away1720 University Blvd, Suite 500 Birmingham Alabama 35233Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 325-8100
- University of Alabama HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.6 miles away619 South 19th Street Birmingham Alabama 35233Government - State(205) 934-4011
- Fmc Shelby0.29 miles away1022 First Street North Suite 101 Alabaster Alabama 35007Dialysis Stations: 12 (205) 620-6867
- Fmc Cahaba Valley6.26 miles away120 Cahaba Valley Parkway Suite 150 Pelham Alabama 35124Dialysis Stations: 24 (205) 988-0469
- Fmc Hoover10.04 miles away2104 Lorna Ridge Lane Birmingham Alabama 35216Dialysis Stations: 12 (205) 979-3708
- Fmc Montevallo11.57 miles away3883 Highway 25 Montevallo Alabama 35115Dialysis Stations: 10 (205) 665-4440
- Fresenius Medical Care Mccalla, LLC11.81 miles away4748 Bell Hill Road Bessemer Alabama 35022Dialysis Stations: 13 (205) 424-8528
- Fresenius Medical Care Birmingham Home, LLC13.1 miles away35 West Lakeshore Drive Suite 105 Birmingham Alabama 35209Dialysis Stations: 13 (205) 290-1197
- Bessemer Kidney Center13.28 miles away975 9th Ave Sw Suite 500 Bessemer Alabama 35022Dialysis Stations: 36 (205) 424-3757
- Jewel Dialysis13.41 miles away514 W. Town Plaza Bessemer Alabama 35020CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 10 (205) 481-4386