Sheepshead Nursing & Rehabilitation Center is located in the densely populated metropolitan area of Brooklyn, New York which has a total of 2,504,700 people. This nursing home proved to be a solid facility, with an overall grade of B-. Even in a city with 40 other nursing homes, this nursing home turns out to be a quality option. One of the best aspects of this facility's profile is its exemplary inspection grade, which we will address in the next section.
Sheepshead Nursing & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Adult Day Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
We want to draw your attention to the fact that this facility really outperformed its overall grade in the area of inspections. In fact, it received a nearly flawless government inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our best scores in that area with a grade of A. Inspection ratings take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can find more information about each of these items by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Fortunately, although this place had some minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. We should note that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in the industry.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this facility's more impressive category scores was in the category of long-term care. In that area, we gave this nursing home a grade of B+. It actually outperformed most facilities in this category. Facilities that do well in this category typically provide patients with more supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. On top of considering the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 99.78632 percent of its patients, which is much higher than the average nursing home. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Sheepshead Nursing & Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we looked at is short-term care, where this facility was given a grade of C in this category. Short-term care ratings are crucial for people seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically requires more highly-skilled nursing. This includes a broad scope of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 5.3 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was quite a bit below the national average.
Moving on to our last category, this nursing home really didn't fare very well. With a poor grade of F in nursing, this is its worst area. The nursing score is based on many subcategories, however, the paramount consideration is the quantity of nurse hours spent with patients. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing ratings. This nursing home fared well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Sheepshead Nursing & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Sheepshead Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Sheepshead Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who have had a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Major falls resulting in injury are often the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Sheepshead Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections could be linked to inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Sheepshead Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is an indication of the percent of long-term patients receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Sheepshead Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antianxiety medications. These drugs are generally used to treat patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Sheepshead Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 13.2% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents demonstrating symptoms of depression. Many argue that this is a measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Sheepshead Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 91.26% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines critical to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Sheepshead Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Sheepshead Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients that retained mobility levels.
In Sheepshead Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is important to preserving the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Sheepshead Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Sheepshead Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Sheepshead Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with activities of daily living usually correlates with better rehabilitation services.
Scores for Brooklyn, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Brooklyn, New York has 39 other nursing homes
- Coney Island Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.82 miles away2601 Ocean Parkway Brooklyn New York 11235Government - Local(718) 616-3000
- New York Community Hospital of Brooklyn, Inc.Acute Care Hospitals 2.15 miles away2525 Kings Highway Brooklyn New York 11229Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 692-5302
- University Hospital of Brooklyn ( Downstate )Acute Care Hospitals 4.86 miles away445 Lenox Road Brooklyn New York 11203Government - State(718) 270-1000
- Brookdale Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.94 miles away1 Brookdale Plaza Brooklyn New York 11212Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 240-5966
- Kings County Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.95 miles away451 Clarkson Avenue Brooklyn New York 11203Government - Local(718) 245-3901
- Maimonides Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.07 miles away4802 Tenth Avenue Brooklyn New York 11219Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 283-6000
- Kingsbrook Jewish Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.13 miles away585 Schenectady Avenue Brooklyn New York 11203Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 604-5789
- New York-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.25 miles away506 Sixth Street Brooklyn New York 11215Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 780-3000
- New York Akc, Inc0.51 miles away2701 Emmons Avenue Brooklyn New York 11235CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 62 (718) 769-4100
- Davita Sheephead Bay Renal Care Center1.35 miles away26 Brighton 11th Street Brooklyn New York 11235CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (718) 743-5955
- Davita South Brooklyn Nephrology Center1.56 miles away3915 Avenue v, Suite 104 Brooklyn New York 11234CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (718) 252-8440
- Davita Midwood Dialysis2.37 miles away1915 Ocean Avenue Dialysis Facility Brooklyn New York 11230CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 34 (718) 258-7700
- Rogosin Institute-Nephrology Foundation of Brooklyn South2.62 miles away1845 Mcdonald Avenue Brooklyn New York 11223CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (646) 317-0750
- Sea Crest Acquisition LLC3.22 miles away3035 West 24th Street Brooklyn New York 11224Dialysis Stations: 10 (718) 372-4500
- Davita Millennium Dialysis3.22 miles away1408 Ocean Avenue 2nd Floor Brooklyn New York 11230CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (718) 677-7600
- Davita Neomy Dialysis Center3.58 miles away1122 Coney Island Avenue Brooklyn New York 11230CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (718) 434-1444