Shaker Gardens Nursing & Rehab Center is one of a mere three available nursing homes located in Beachwood, Ohio. Sporting an overall grade of D, this is a lower end nursing home. Sadly, this grade is right in line with the city grade in Beachwood, which is also well below average. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this facility's report card is its strong inspection rating. You can continue reading to find out about inspections and other category scores
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Shaker Gardens Nursing & Rehab Center
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
3550 Northfield Road,
Beachwood OH 44122
89.4% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
While we did not rate this nursing home favorably overall, we want to point out its relatively solid government inspections in recent years. We gave it a respectable grade of B+ in this category, which is much better than its overall grade. Inspection ratings account for a host of factors found on a facility's inspection reports. One key criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. You should avoid nursing homes with too many deficiencies flagged. While this place had some deficiencies on its report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. A few minor deficiencies are not necessarily the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's second highest category was its short-term care grade, where it was awarded a B-. Short-term care scores are based on a facility's quantity of skilled nursing services. This includes a broad scope of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, not to mention other types of therapy. We found that this nursing home was below average in the two key staffing areas we looked at. In fact, it offered fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other nursing homes. It is important to determine whether this also correlates to a lower quality of care. The final metric we looked at in this category is the percentage of patients that ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home. This figure was below the national average.
Does this page answer your questions about Shaker Gardens Nursing & Rehab Center?
Among this nursing home's several poor grades was its F in the area of nursing care. Nursing grades are based in large part on levels of nurse staffing. This facility averaged a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This figure is significantly below average. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing scores. This place performed well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we graded is long-term care. This nursing home received a bottom of the barrel grade of F in that area. Long-term care ratings in this range generally are a bad sign for the quantity and quality of care provided by nurses and aids. Once we assessed the amount of care provided by nurses, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination data. Candidly, we were a bit bothered by the fact that this facility vaccinated only 77.23577 percent of its residents for pneumonia. To our surprise, this facility was actually decent at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. This was its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Shaker Gardens Nursing & Rehab Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Shaker Gardens Nursing & Rehab Center, 7.3% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents who suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Shaker Gardens Nursing & Rehab Center, 3.68% of Patients had Serious Falls
This gauges the percent of long-term patients who have sustained a fall which caused severe injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be a sign of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Shaker Gardens Nursing & Rehab Center, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely the result of facilities with worst hygiene practices. Better hygiene protocols can minimize the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Note that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Shaker Gardens Nursing & Rehab Center, 12.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term patients taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Shaker Gardens Nursing & Rehab Center, 21.99% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of long-term residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Shaker Gardens Nursing & Rehab Center, 21.39% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients showing symptoms of depression. Higher rates of depression could be an indicator worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Shaker Gardens Nursing & Rehab Center, 88.91% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Shaker Gardens Nursing & Rehab Center, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and taking a bath. Some experts would argue this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Shaker Gardens Nursing & Rehab Center, 12.66% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term care patients that maintained mobility. Some experts argue that mobility is critical to patients mental and physical health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Shaker Gardens Nursing & Rehab Center, 12.66 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Shaker Gardens Nursing & Rehab Center, 12.98 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Shaker Gardens Nursing & Rehab Center, 75.85% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many would argue this is a measure of rehabilitation performance.
- University Hospitals Ahuja Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.03 miles away3999 Richmond Road Beachwood Ohio 44122Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 593-5510
- Marymount HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.36 miles away12300 Mccracken Road Cleveland Ohio 44125Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 581-0500
- Uh Cleveland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.79 miles away11100 Euclid Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44106Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 844-1000
- Rainbow Babies and Childrens HospitalChildrens 4.79 miles away11100 Euclid Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44106Voluntary non-profit - Other(216) 844-1000
- Cleveland ClinicAcute Care Hospitals 5.23 miles away9500 Euclid Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44195Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 445-8400
- Hillcrest HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.53 miles away6780 Mayfield Road Cleveland Ohio 44124Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 312-4500
- St Vincent Charity Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.5 miles away2351 East 22nd Street Cleveland Ohio 44115Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 861-6200
- Metrohealth SystemAcute Care Hospitals 8.4 miles away2500 Metrohealth Drive Cleveland Ohio 44109Voluntary non-profit - Other(216) 778-7089
- Nephrology Associates of Cleveland, Ltd.0.65 miles away18720 Chagrin Blvd Beachwood Ohio 44122CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 46 (216) 295-7000
- Fkc-Ohio Renal Care Group Southpointe0.72 miles away4200 Warrensville Center Road, Suite 100 Beachwood Ohio 44122Dialysis Stations: 21 (216) 368-0004
- Ohio Renal Holdings Inc.2.19 miles away3609 Park East Drive, Suite 106 North Beachwood Ohio 44122Dialysis Stations: 6 (216) 455-1315
- Nephrology Associates of Cleveland, Ltd.3.05 miles away4877 Galaxy Parkway Suite A Cleveland Ohio 44128CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (216) 378-5050
- Davita - Shaker Square Dialysis3.29 miles away12800 Shaker Blvd, Ste. 1 Cleveland Ohio 44120CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (216) 491-4867
- Fmc - Ohio Renal Care Group-North Randall3.33 miles away5035 Richmond Road Bedford Ohio 44146Dialysis Stations: 15 (216) 591-1364
- Community Dialysis Center3.54 miles away27350 Cedar Road Beachwood Ohio 44122Dialysis Stations: 12 (216) 378-1580
- Fmc - Ohio Renal Care Group Home Dialysis Program3.97 miles away2429 Martin Luther King Jr. Drive 2nd Floor Cleveland Ohio 44120Dialysis Stations: 5 (216) 421-1013