Shady Grove Nursing and Rehabilitation Center is a large nursing home located in Rockville, Maryland. We gave this facility an overall grade of D. A score of this caliber generally suggests a few red flags. Rockville received a city grade of B, so there are other options in the city worth looking at. More information on this nursing home's category grades is available below. Its best category was short-term care, which is addressed in the next section.
Shady Grove Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
Even though we didn't rate this nursing home favorably overall, we want to point out its relatively favorable short-term care score. We awarded it a B in this category, which was much better than its overall score. Our short-term care ratings are crucial for prospective residents requiring rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally utilizes more skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means a wide range of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like this facility submitted registered nurse or physical therapist staffing data. Lastly, we looked at the number of patients who returned home from this nursing home. We found that 6.3 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
We gave this facility a grade of C for our inspections category. Inspection scores are based on several items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are an important thing to look for on these reports. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to patient safety. This facility was hit with 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to find that none were category G through L deficiencies. This means this facility avoided the more serious classes of deficiencies. Unfortunately, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received significant government fines in recent years.
Does this page answer your questions about Shady Grove Nursing and Rehabilitation Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to the area of long-term care, this nursing home received just a D in this category. In a long-term care environment, the nursing home's primary goal is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. Once we assessed the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 98.98734 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is more than the average nursing home. Surprisingly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility had fewer hospitalizations than the average nursing home. Sadly, a few of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
The last area we assessed was nursing, which turned out to be a low point for this facility. We gave this nursing home a grade of D in nursing. Our nursing score focuses on the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. We consider both the levels of training of the nurses as well as the amount of time spent with patients. This particular facility offered just 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient each day. This number is well below average. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing ratings. This facility fared well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Shady Grove Nursing and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Shady Grove Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 10.35% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely caused by residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Shady Grove Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 2.83% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a fall which caused major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Shady Grove Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 2.06% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often associated with lower quality nursing care. Closer supervision minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Shady Grove Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 13.12% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to patients for a variety of medical conditions, such as dementia. Sadly, in limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Shady Grove Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 14.71% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety medications. These drugs are generally used to treat patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Shady Grove Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 10.05% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Increased levels of depression may be an indicator worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Shady Grove Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 92.62% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Shady Grove Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 19.85% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Shady Grove Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 30.15% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that were able to retain mobility. Some believe that mobility is vital to patients health.
In Shady Grove Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 0.99 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Shady Grove Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 30.15 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Shady Grove Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 8.9 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Shady Grove Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 73.77% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry argue that this is a reasonable measure of rehabilitation services.
Scores for Rockville, MD
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Rockville, Maryland has 7 other nursing homes
- Adventist Healthcare Shady Grove Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.37 miles away9901 Medical Center Drive Rockville Maryland 20850Voluntary non-profit - Private(240) 826-6527
- Holy Cross Germantown HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.92 miles away19801 Observation Drive Germantown Maryland 20876Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 557-6020
- Medstar Montgomery Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.3 miles away18101 Prince Philip Drive Olney Maryland 20832Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 774-8882
- Suburban HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.49 miles away8600 Old Georgetown Road Bethesda Maryland 20814Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 896-2576
- Walter Reed National Military Med CenAcute Care - Department of Defense 8.73 miles away8901 Rockville Pike Bethesda Maryland 20889Department of Defense(301) 295-4000
- Holy Cross HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.34 miles away1500 Forest Glen Road Silver Spring Maryland 20910Voluntary non-profit - Church(301) 754-7000
- Sibley Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.3 miles away5255 Loughboro Rd Nw Washington District of Columbia 20016Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 537-4680
- Adventist Healthcare White Oak Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.02 miles away12100 Plum Orchard Drive Silver Spring Maryland 20904Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 891-5651
- Davita - Rockville0.31 miles away15204 Omega Drive Suite 110 Rockville Maryland 20850CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (301) 947-2427
- Advanced Dialysis Center - Rockville1.5 miles away299 Hurley Ave Rockville Maryland 20850Dialysis Stations: 9 (301) 838-9119
- Gaithersburg Dialysis2.96 miles away202 Perry Parkway Suite 3 Gaithersburg Maryland 20877Dialysis Stations: 16 (301) 987-0912
- Bma - Rockville3.85 miles away7524 Standish Pl Ste 100-B Derwood Maryland 20855Dialysis Stations: 16 (301) 610-0711
- Brownwood Dialysis LLC4.42 miles away5544 Norbeck Rd Rockville Maryland 20853CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 460-2090
- Us Renal Care - Rockville5.14 miles away11800 a Nebel St Rockville Maryland 20852Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 468-3221
- Davita - Middlebrook Dialysis6.08 miles away12401 Middlebrook Rd Ste 160 Germantown Maryland 20874Dialysis Stations: 19 (301) 540-6020
- Bma - Bethesda6.21 miles away6420 Rockledge Dr Ste 1100 Bethesda Maryland 20817Dialysis Stations: 18 (301) 652-2554