AHMC Seton Medical Center Skilled Nursing Facility is a large hospital-based nursing home in Daly City, California. Featuring an overall grade of C, this is likely a middle of the pack nursing home. You can definitely do worse than this nursing home. One of the highlights of this facility's report card is its strong nursing rating, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
AHMC Seton Medical Center Skilled Nursing Facility
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
1900 Sullivan Avenue,
Daly City CA 94015
72.86% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home received a solid overall grade as described above, but it really excelled in the area of nursing care, with an impressive grade of A- in this category. Our nursing rating is based on quite a few factors, however, the most important consideration is the number of nurse hours spent with patients. This particular nursing home provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can frequently be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's better category scores was in the area of short-term care. In that category, we awarded this facility a B+. It actually outperformed most facilities in this area. In determining our short-term care scores, we scrutinize a nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other licensed professionals. This category is more often than not a meaningful measure of the nursing home's rehabilitation services. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we considered the percentage of patients who returned home from this facility. We found that 5.8 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about AHMC Seton Medical Center Skilled Nursing Facility?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility was given its next most favorable category grade in the category of long-term care. We awarded this nursing home a B- in this category, which is a respectable grade. In a long-term care setting, the facility's primary objective is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. One of the factors we considered after nursing hours was vaccines. Thankfully, this nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccination to 98.62745 percent of its residents. Finally, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
The final category we assessed was inspections. This facility did not receive favorable government inspections in recent years. In fact, we gave it an F in this category. This pulled down this nursing home's overall grade quite a bit. For facilities with bad inspection grades, you should focus on any severe deficiencies found on their recent inspection reports. This nursing home had 9 deficiencies by government inspectors. The only positive thing we found is that none of the deficiencies were in the categories that suggest they posed a risk to patient safety or health. Finally, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this place received large government fines in recent years amounting to more than $100,000. This typically signifies that a facility's bad track record has been an issue for multiple years.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
AHMC Seton Medical Center Skilled Nursing Facility Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In AHMC Seton Medical Center Skilled Nursing Facility, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term stay patients who suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a reliable indicator of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In AHMC Seton Medical Center Skilled Nursing Facility, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric indicates the percent of long-term care residents that sustained falls which resulted in major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be a sign of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In AHMC Seton Medical Center Skilled Nursing Facility, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are associated with insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In AHMC Seton Medical Center Skilled Nursing Facility, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric indicates the percent of long-term patients receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In AHMC Seton Medical Center Skilled Nursing Facility, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents given antianxiety medications. These medications are prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In AHMC Seton Medical Center Skilled Nursing Facility, 4.64% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who are exhibiting symptoms of depression. Increased rates of depression could indicate worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In AHMC Seton Medical Center Skilled Nursing Facility, 95.44% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In AHMC Seton Medical Center Skilled Nursing Facility, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate deterioration of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In AHMC Seton Medical Center Skilled Nursing Facility, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who maintained mobility. Many in the industry would argue that the ability to move around is important for patients physical and mental well-being.
In AHMC Seton Medical Center Skilled Nursing Facility, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In AHMC Seton Medical Center Skilled Nursing Facility, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In AHMC Seton Medical Center Skilled Nursing Facility, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In AHMC Seton Medical Center Skilled Nursing Facility, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some argue that this is a measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
- Seton Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0 miles away1900 Sullivan Avenue Daly City California 94015Voluntary non-profit - Church(650) 992-4000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - South San FranciscoAcute Care Hospitals 2.41 miles away1200 El Camino Real South San Francisco California 94080Voluntary non-profit - Private(650) 742-3200
- California Pacific Medical Center - Mission BernalAcute Care Hospitals 5.44 miles away3555 Cesar Chavez Street San Francisco California 94110Voluntary non-profit - Church(415) 641-6562
- Ucsf Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.83 miles away505 Parnassus Ave, Box 0296 San Francisco California 94143Voluntary non-profit - Other(415) 353-2733
- Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hosp & Trauma CtrAcute Care Hospitals 6.32 miles away1001 Potrero Avenue San Francisco California 94110Government - Local(415) 206-8000
- St Mary's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.56 miles away450 Stanyan St San Francisco California 94117Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 668-1000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - San FranciscoAcute Care Hospitals 7.27 miles away2425 Geary Blvd San Francisco California 94115Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 833-2646
- Mills-Peninsula Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.79 miles away1501 Trousdale Drive Burlingame California 94010Voluntary non-profit - Private(650) 696-5270
- Daly City Dialysis Center0.41 miles away1498 Southgate Avenue Daly City California 94015CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 34 (650) 755-4751
- Westlake Daly City Dialysis Center1.31 miles away2201 Junipero Sierra Boulevard. #A Daly City California 94014CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (650) 755-9480
- Satellite Dialysis Daly City1.31 miles away2001 Junipero Serra Blvd, Suite 100 Daly City California 94014CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (650) 746-3140
- Wellbound of Daly City1.47 miles away2001 Junipero Serra Blvd Daly City California 94014Dialysis Stations: 4 (650) 550-3600
- South San Francisco Home Training2.67 miles away74 Camaritas Ave South San Francisco California 94080Dialysis Stations: 7 (650) 589-8562
- Rai Ocean Avenue3.16 miles away1738 Ocean Avenue San Francisco California 94112CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (415) 406-1090
- Westborough Dialysis Center3.21 miles away925 El Camino Real South San Francisco California 94080Dialysis Stations: 5 (650) 624-5433
- Satellite Healthcare South San Francisco3.76 miles away205 Kenwood Way South San Francisco California 94080CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (650) 616-7788