Sentara Nursing Center Portsmouth is a large nursing home located in Portsmouth, Virginia. This is not a high quality facility with a D overall grade. Unfortunately, this grade is right in line with the city grade in Portsmouth. As far as we can see, we'd struggle to recommend this place. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this facility's report card is its impressive inspection reports. You can continue reading to learn more about inspections and other category scores
Sentara Nursing Center Portsmouth
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
4201 Greenwood Drive,
Portsmouth VA 23701
77.72% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Although we did not rate this facility favorably overall, we want to point out its relatively favorable government inspections in recent years. We gave it a B in this area, which was much better than its overall grade. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating these inspection grades. One key factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some can be relatively minor. This place was hit with 5 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered to be major deficiencies. This means that the government inspectors did not deem any of these deficiencies to pose an immediate threat to patient health or safety. A couple minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next best area was its short-term care grade, where it was awarded a grade of B-. In our short-term care rating, we try to craft a meaningful barometer for rehabilitation. In doing so, we look at a nursing home's scope of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. We were surprised to find that this facility was below average in the two key staffing areas we looked at. It provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other nursing homes. It is still important to determine whether this is adversely impacting the quality of care. The last measure we looked at in this category is the percentage of patients who who were able to eventually return home from the facility. This place performed much better in this area with 64 percent of its patients returning home. With most nursing homes, fewer than half of their short-stay residents are able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Sentara Nursing Center Portsmouth?
We were surprised to find that this facility also excelled in the area of nursing. In fact, we awarded it a grade of D for that category, which is one of our best scores. Our nursing rating is primarily tied to the nursing home's nurse staffing. This facility provided just 2.8 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Lastly, we also looked at a few quality measures in determining our nursing ratings. This nursing home was above average in two of the major datapoints we considered, with good marks for minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. These metrics are typically reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care offered.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's worst area was long-term care, which is the last area we scored. In this area, we awarded this facility a grade of just D. Facilities that don't fare well in this category often do not provide as much nursing care and also may be lagging in some of the areas of routine medical care we assessed. In addition to considering the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 91.4956 percent of its residents, which is a bit lower than we anticipated. Surprisingly, this facility was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 1.26 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility had less hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. This was its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Sentara Nursing Center Portsmouth Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Sentara Nursing Center Portsmouth, 8.83% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to remaining in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Sentara Nursing Center Portsmouth, 3.6% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric gauges the percent of long-term care residents that suffered falls leading to severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be a sign of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Sentara Nursing Center Portsmouth, 2.65% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely the result of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint could be misleading for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Sentara Nursing Center Portsmouth, 13.5% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are administered to patients for a variety of conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Unfortunately, in some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Sentara Nursing Center Portsmouth, 21.24% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are generally given to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Sentara Nursing Center Portsmouth, 4.13% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Many argue that this is a measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Sentara Nursing Center Portsmouth, 91.75% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Sentara Nursing Center Portsmouth, 16.97% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Sentara Nursing Center Portsmouth, 23.72% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents that were able to retain mobility.
In Sentara Nursing Center Portsmouth, 1.22 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Sentara Nursing Center Portsmouth, 23.72 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Sentara Nursing Center Portsmouth, 11.68 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Sentara Nursing Center Portsmouth, 75.36% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with activities of daily living generally correlates with better rehabilitation services.
- Bon Secours Maryview Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.7 miles away3636 High Street Portsmouth Virginia 23707Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 398-2200
- Nmc PortsmouthAcute Care - Department of Defense 4.51 miles away620 John Paul Jones Circle Portsmouth Virginia 23708Department of Defense(757) 953-5008
- Sentara Norfolk General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.37 miles away600 Gresham Dr Norfolk Virginia 23507Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 388-3000
- Childrens Hospital of the Kings Daughters IncChildrens 5.6 miles away601 Children's Lane Norfolk Virginia 23507Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 668-9647
- Chesapeake General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.48 miles away736 Battlefield Blvd, North Chesapeake Virginia 23320Government - Hospital District or Authority(757) 312-8121
- Bon Secours Depaul Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.33 miles away150 Kingsley Lane Norfolk Virginia 23505Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 889-5000
- Sentara Leigh HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.22 miles away830 Kempsville Road Norfolk Virginia 23502Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 261-6700
- Sentara Obici HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.23 miles away2800 Godwin Boulevard Suffolk Virginia 23439Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 934-4000
- Rai - Airline-Portsmouth 72530.68 miles away3080 Airline Blvd Portsmouth Virginia 23701CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (757) 488-3590
- Davita - Greater Portsmouth3.13 miles awayDialysis Unit 3516 Queen St Portsmouth Virginia 23707CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (757) 397-2806
- Portsmouth Dialysis Center3.34 miles away2000 High St Portsmouth Virginia 23704CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (757) 397-4300
- Rai - Goode Way-Portsmouth4.03 miles away311 Goode Way Portsmouth Virginia 23704CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (757) 393-6582
- Rai - Churchland-Chesapeake4.67 miles away5846 Churchland Blvd Portsmouth Virginia 23703CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (757) 686-5770
- Childrens Hospital of Kings Daughters5.51 miles awayPediatric Dialysis Ctr 601 Childrens Ln Norfolk Virginia 23507Dialysis Stations: 8 (757) 668-8151
- Dominion Dialysis Center5.98 miles away910 Great Bridge Blvd Ste 101 Chesapeake Virginia 23320CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (757) 549-3813
- Bma - Greater Norfolk6.4 miles away(Granby Dialysis) 1902 Omohundro Ave Norfolk Virginia 23517CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (757) 622-4935