Hampton Health and Rehab is an average-sized nursing home in Hampton, Virginia. This nursing home was given an overall grade of B-, which is a solid rating. Based on all of the relevant data, there are definitely much worse places out there. The best part of this facility's profile is is its short-term care score. We discuss short-term care in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Hampton Health and Rehab
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Hampton senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's best category grade came in the area of short-term care. In that category, we gave this nursing home a B+. It outperformed many nursing homes in this category. Our short-term care grades are based on a facility's quantity of highly-skilled highly skilled professionals. This means a broad spectrum of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Unfortunately, we weren't able to locate registered nurse or physical therapy staffing data for this facility. The last item we assessed in this area is the number of patients who eventually returned home from the facility. We found that 6.6 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
This nursing home also excelled in the area of nursing, where it earned an B. Our nursing rating is mostly associated with the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Hampton Health and Rehab?
We would also like to draw your attention to this facility's strong inspection grade. This facility earned a B in this category, which is one of our better grades. Inspection scores are tied to several items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that receive favorable grades in this area typically have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these places generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. While this facility had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. Remember that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in the industry.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we analyzed is long-term care. This facility received a grade of B- in the category. Our long-term care grade focuses on a facility's personal care instead of the skilled nursing or medical services that are critical to a skilled nursing facility. On top of considering the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 96.0199 percent of its residents, which is more than most nursing homes. Lastly, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Hampton Health and Rehab Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Hampton Health and Rehab, 8.53% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often caused by patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care can reduce the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Hampton Health and Rehab, 3.74% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that have had a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are routinely linked to lower quality nursing care. Closer supervision can minimize the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Hampton Health and Rehab, 2.25% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many experts to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely linked to a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this datapoint may be skewed for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Hampton Health and Rehab, 15.09% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many patients, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Hampton Health and Rehab, 19.63% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are administered to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Hampton Health and Rehab, 5.07% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents exhibiting symptoms of depression. Some argue that this is a reasonable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Hampton Health and Rehab, 88.92% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Hampton Health and Rehab, 17.15% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Hampton Health and Rehab, 18.14% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term stay residents that remained mobile levels.
In Hampton Health and Rehab, 1.38 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Hampton Health and Rehab, 18.14 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Hampton Health and Rehab, 12.25 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Hampton Health and Rehab, 74.96% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some believe this is a measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
- Sentara Careplex HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.42 miles away3000 Coliseum Drive Hampton Virginia 23666Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 736-1000
- Riverside Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.8 miles away500 J Clyde Morris Blvd Newport News Virginia 23601Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 594-2000
- Mary Immaculate HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.75 miles away2 Bernardine Drive Newport News Virginia 23602Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 886-6000
- Bon Secours Depaul Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.37 miles away150 Kingsley Lane Norfolk Virginia 23505Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 889-5000
- Childrens Hospital of the Kings Daughters IncChildrens 14.2 miles away601 Children's Lane Norfolk Virginia 23507Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 668-9647
- Sentara Norfolk General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.26 miles away600 Gresham Dr Norfolk Virginia 23507Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 388-3000
- Bon Secours Maryview Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.25 miles away3636 High Street Portsmouth Virginia 23707Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 398-2200
- Nmc PortsmouthAcute Care - Department of Defense 15.34 miles away620 John Paul Jones Circle Portsmouth Virginia 23708Department of Defense(757) 953-5008
- Butler Farm Dialysis0.82 miles away501 a Butler Farm Rd Hampton Virginia 23666CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (757) 766-1921
- Rai - Mercury Blvd-Hampton1.84 miles away3319 West Mercury Blvd Hampton Virginia 23666CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (757) 826-1795
- Langley Dialysis2.65 miles away5 W. Mercury Boulevard Hampton Virginia 23669CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (757) 723-4620
- Davita - Newport News3.45 miles away711 79th Street Newport News Virginia 23605CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (757) 245-8090
- Jefferson Avenue Dialysis3.76 miles away11234 Jefferson Ave Newport News Virginia 23601CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (757) 595-6167
- Zara Dialysis LLC3.76 miles away11234 Jefferson Ave Ste B Newport News Virginia 23601Dialysis Stations: 8 (757) 595-5469
- Rai - Thimble Shoals-Newport News4.17 miles away739 Thimble Shoals Blvd Ste 600 Newport News Virginia 23606CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (757) 873-1090
- Rai - Chesapeake-Newport News4.72 miles away225 Chesapeake Avenue Newport News Virginia 23607Dialysis Stations: 10 (757) 247-4080