Sentara Nsg Center-Windermere is one of six available facilities in Virginia Beach, Virginia. Our grading scheme was not kind to this nursing home, as it received an overall grade of F. This facility doesn't seem to have much going for it. More information on this facility's category grades is available below. Its best category was inspections, which is discussed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Sentara Nsg Center-Windermere
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Note: Sentara Nsg Center-Windermere has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Get pricing and details on Virginia Beach senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Although we gave this facility a terrible overall grade, we awarded it a grade of C for our inspections rating. In fact, the facility received very impressive inspection report this year. We would argue that one of the most important factors in assessing an inspection report is deficiencies. In this regard, we especially look at the severity of those deficiencies. This place was hit with 4 deficiencies on its government inspection report, but fortunately none were category G through L deficiencies. This indicates that CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies to be an imminent danger to resident safety or health. Lastly, this nursing home was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. This is generally a really bad sign. We would never recommend this facility.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also didn't rate poorly in the category of short-term care. In fact, we awarded it a grade of C in that category, which happens to be among its better grades. In forming our short-term care ratings, we quantify the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The purpose is to formulate a tool for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various facilities. In this facility's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than a typical facility. The hope is always that this does not adversely affect the quality of care. The final statistic we assessed in this category is the number of patients that eventually returned home from the facility. We found that just 5.9 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home. Unfortunately, this was below the national average.
Does this page answer your questions about Sentara Nsg Center-Windermere?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the area of long-term care, this facility received just a D in this category. For residents seeking a permanent residence as opposed to skilled nursing, long-term care is an important category. On top of assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 94.117645 percent of its residents. To our surprise, this facility also keeps its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. Sadly, a few of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
The last area we analyzed is nursing, where this facility was given a bottom of the barrel score in this area also. Sadly, it received a lowly F in this category, which is obviously somewhat alarming. Our nursing grade is primarily tied to the nursing home's nurse staffing. With just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident daily, this facility's nurse staffing levels were significantly below average. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place performed well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these statistics to be reliable measures of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Sentara Nsg Center-Windermere Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Sentara Nsg Center-Windermere, 8.53% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who have pressure ulcers . We factor in this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Sentara Nsg Center-Windermere, 3.74% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . Falls are often caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Sentara Nsg Center-Windermere, 2.25% of Patients had UTIs
This metric tells you the percent of long-term residents which experienced urinary tract infections. Although a higher rate infections could reflect poorly on a facility's cleanliness, it can be problematic to compare between facilities due to reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Sentara Nsg Center-Windermere, 15.09% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are given to residents for a variety of conditions, including dementia. Sadly, in some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Sentara Nsg Center-Windermere, 19.63% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are typically prescribed to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Sentara Nsg Center-Windermere, 5.07% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Sentara Nsg Center-Windermere, 88.92% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Sentara Nsg Center-Windermere, 17.15% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Sentara Nsg Center-Windermere, 18.14% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients that remained mobile levels.
In Sentara Nsg Center-Windermere, 1.38 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Sentara Nsg Center-Windermere, 18.14 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Sentara Nsg Center-Windermere, 12.25 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Sentara Nsg Center-Windermere, 74.96% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Virginia Beach, VA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Virginia Beach, Virginia has 5 other nursing homes
- Sentara Virginia Beach General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.33 miles away1060 First Colonial Road Virginia Beach Virginia 23454Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 395-8000
- Sentara Leigh HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.33 miles away830 Kempsville Road Norfolk Virginia 23502Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 261-6700
- Bon Secours Depaul Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.28 miles away150 Kingsley Lane Norfolk Virginia 23505Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 889-5000
- Chesapeake General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.97 miles away736 Battlefield Blvd, North Chesapeake Virginia 23320Government - Hospital District or Authority(757) 312-8121
- Childrens Hospital of the Kings Daughters IncChildrens 15.27 miles away601 Children's Lane Norfolk Virginia 23507Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 668-9647
- Sentara Norfolk General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.46 miles away600 Gresham Dr Norfolk Virginia 23507Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 388-3000
- Nmc PortsmouthAcute Care - Department of Defense 15.59 miles away620 John Paul Jones Circle Portsmouth Virginia 23708Department of Defense(757) 953-5008
- Bon Secours Maryview Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.02 miles away3636 High Street Portsmouth Virginia 23707Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 398-2200
- Camelot Dialysis Center0.28 miles away1800 Camelot Dr Ste 100 Virginia Beach Virginia 23454CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (757) 481-6879
- Fmc - First Colonial0.7 miles away933 First Colonial Rd Suite 112 Virginia Beach Virginia 23454Dialysis Stations: 21 (757) 428-1869
- Oceana Dialysis5.21 miles away1375 Oceana Boulevard Suite 114 Virginia Beach Virginia 23454Dialysis Stations: 17 (757) 963-8521
- Davita - Virginia Beach5.9 miles away740 Independence Cir Virginia Beach Virginia 23455CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (757) 499-1301
- Princess Anne Dialysis6.15 miles away3973 Holland Rd Virginia Beach Virginia 23452CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (757) 340-3526
- Fmc - Virginia Beach6.59 miles away525 S Independence Blvd Ste 150 Virginia Beach Virginia 23452CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (757) 687-7902
- Stines Dialysis LLC7.81 miles away230 Clearfield Ave Ste 106 Virginia Beach Virginia 23462Dialysis Stations: 12 (757) 518-9439
- Fresenius Medical Care Nimmo Parkway8.19 miles away2476 Nimmo Parkway Suite 109 Virginia Beach Virginia 23456Dialysis Stations: 17 (757) 430-1936